14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2010 2:26 PM by Wade_Zimmerman

Crash on save-as

Mike Nuzzo

Howdy

CS3

Win XP sp2

3gb ram

2nd HDD

When saving-as or saving the folder window comes up and immediately dissapears and illustrator freezes

This happened in Photoshop a few months ago

I believe the last folder as is no longer in the same location and the reason for the freeze - I moved everything to a new internal HDD

In Photoshop I was able to eliminate the number of histories and the recent file list

Version Cue is off in both PS & ILL

In Illustrator I am unable to find that preference

Please help me remove my preferences file (like CS1) or have ILL not remember my old save location

Thank you very much

Update

I just removed my aiprefs file and that did not work

Still trying

Cheers

• 1. Re: Crash on save-as
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Create a new user account and log in to that new user account.

Do not add any fonts or anything new or add plug ins etc. No launch AI and see if you can create a new document and save it.
          If successful try to open an existing file do some work a small amount and see if you ca do a save.

let us know what happens.

• 2. Re: Crash on save-as
            Mike Nuzzo Level 1

Thank you Wade

I am unable to start Illustrator as guest

In my account I've been able to remove my recent file history

I've removed my aiperfs and opened and closed a few times without problem - creating a new aiperfs

But am still unable to save as

Please help

Cheers

• 3. Re: Crash on save-as
              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I wrote that you should create a new user account not that you shouldog in as a guess.

You have to follow some instruction even if it seems odd to you.

So once again create a new user account with administrative privileges.

Then when you loog into that account launch Illustrator.

If you wish before doing that you can repair your permissions or check the permissions of the directory you are using for the scratch and or saving your files and make them read write.

• 4. Re: Crash on save-as
                Mike Nuzzo Level 1

Thank you Wade

How do I know which directory I am saving files to?

• 5. Re: Crash on save-as
                  Mike Nuzzo Level 1

Wade

That was a very good idea

I was able to open and save-as logged on as a new user with admin

This fixed my short term problem of working on a single file

It didn't change how CS3 crashes when trying to save-as in my account

Any suggestions on how to fix the save-as location?

Cheers

• 6. Re: Crash on save-as
                    Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Don't you know where you save the file?

You know what Hard drive and what folder it is in a directory is a folder or volume.

When you do a save as it asks you where you want to save the file so it has a pth so that you can find it.

• 7. Re: Crash on save-as
                      Mike Nuzzo Level 1

Ily CS3 remembers the the last directory I performed a save-as to.

That folder is no longer in existence - I do not remember which folder it was otherwise i'd recreate it

It therefore crashes when trying to save to that old default location

This also happened in photoshop this past fall

I was able to tell photoshop to ignore the previous default save-as location in the preferences

I am unable to find a similar preference in Ily

Your troubleshooting technique allowed me to get past my short term need - thank you

I am looking for a way to tell Ily to ignore the default previous save-as folder location

deleting my perf file did not accomplish this goal

thank you

• 8. Re: Crash on save-as
                        Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Gee.

This means you have a corrupt preference r preferences in your old user account, a corrupt font or font cache or a conflict between software etc. You know if you have installed anything before this started t happen so that would be easier t eliminate.

As far as the font cache you can use a utility of some kind that cleans these files out and try to clean the font cache files.

The preferences you can find out…well this is easier on the Mac …you basically have ti take all the preferences from that account drag it to a new location and the start replacing them using a method of halfing. I do not know if this is even possible on a Windows system.

You could have a problem with permissions so you can try to repair your permission and the remove the Illustrator settings folder as well.

It could be that simple.

As far as the folder goes there is no default location for Illustrator, to find out where you have been saving the files it is the same place you store them. The place you find it when you go to File>Open

The file open dialog on the mac it shows the various locations of files and you can navigate ti them you have this on the pc and you have the explorer to help you find various locations and files on your hard drives. How do you find the legacy files to open in the first place, how do find anything on your computer?

Screen shot 2010-01-10 at 4.27.47 PM.png

Screen shot 2010-01-10 at 4.28.09 PM.png

• 9. Re: Crash on save-as
                          Mike Nuzzo Level 1

Thank you for your advice Wade

It is not a corrupt pref file or a font issue or a conflict with other software

The last save-as location is no longer on my PC causing a crash on save-as

It is exactly the same behavior as with Photoshop CS3

Deleting the perfs file did not remove the default save-as location

This is an illustrator bug

There must be a work around

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated

• 10. Re: Crash on save-as
                            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

There is no default location do a save as rename the file choose a new location and you do not know if this is a font or preference roblem it certaily looks like a preference conflict or corruption even if you do not like it.

But since you seek other opinuons I agree hopefully someone else can communicate better than I can.

Good luck.

• 11. Re: Crash on save-as
                              TonyWH

HI Mike

Sorry this is not  a reply but more a question. I wondered if you have solved your problem because it has just started happening to me as well. I have tried everything suggested on the replies to your posting but to no avail. I created a new user and Illustrator worked fine in that but then when I came back to my user profile, the same problem. I even tried copying all the pref' files and folders from the new user profile to mine but this made no difference. I have a horrible feeling that I may have to uninstall and reinstall. Did you solve it or have you had to go down this route?

Tony

• 12. Re: Crash on save-as
                                Mike Nuzzo Level 1

No Tony I am still having the original problem.

I mostly use Illustrator CS1 because I have a current version of CADtools.

CS3 still doesn't save a new file for me.

Which causes a problem when I need to read in newer AutoCAD files.

Any other suggestions out there for my problem:

"When saving-as or saving the folder window comes up and immediately dissapears and illustrator freezes

This happened in Photoshop a few months ago

I believe the last folder as is no longer in the same location and the reason for the freeze - I moved everything to a new internal HDD

In Photoshop I was able to eliminate the number of histories and the recent file list

Version Cue is off in both PS & ILL

In Illustrator I am unable to find that preference

Please help me remove my preferences file (like CS1) or have ILL not remember my old save location

Thank you very much"

• 13. Re: Crash on save-as
                                  Mike Nuzzo Level 1

Bump.

Any help would be appreciated.

I am only able to save, using CS3, when I log on as someone else.

My CS1 illustrator certainly remembers where my last file opened was as I froze my preferences years ago and have it open to my work folder every time.

Photoshop has a setting, it appears as if Illustrator does not.

Cheers

• 14. Re: Crash on save-as
                                    Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

It is the settings folder you are looking for and you might have repair your permissions on  pc it is a manual task.

for the settings folder it should be somewhere like this:

1. Quit Illustrator.
                                    2. Rename the AIPrefs file (for example, to AIPrefs.old) in the Users/(user)/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator CS3 Settings folder.
                                    3. Start Illustrator. Illustrator creates a new preferences file.