18 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2010 10:59 PM by joe.foxhoven

unable to access preferences pane

joe.foxhoven

Trying to open a LiveRights protected file, Mac OSX 10.5.8, Reader 9.2, have cleaned every reader file i can find and reinstalled, but same issue everytime, opens plain pdf ok. any protected file gives me the same error, the same file opens fine in Windows.  When I try to open the file i get the error:

"The document cannot be opened because it is protected by a security policy from a server that is on your list of blocked web sites.  (Manage site access with the Trust Manager Preferences panel)"

This is a clean install and I've never altered any prefs, and so I try to access the Preferences panel and it won't even load, I get:

"Failed to load an application resource (internal error)."

Nowhere in the whole web can I find even a remotely similar error message, hoping someone in here has any clue?

Thank you

• 1. Re: unable to access preferences pane
          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The file is digitally protected. You do not have permission to open the file. Contact the file creator.

• 3. Re: unable to access preferences pane
            AV80J

Hi,

I am having the same problem here. I cannot access the preferences pane from the Edit menu and get the same error:

"Failed to load an application resource (internal error)"

I'm running Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.3.0 (the most recent version, I installed the most recent updates an hour ago) on Windows 7 64 bit.

I also find the answer Michael provided unsatisfactory. I cannot access the preferences pane regardless of the file/s I have open.

AVR80J

• 4. Re: unable to access preferences pane
              jacksmind

Let me guess:  did you rename Accessibility.api in the plugin directory because the morons at Adobe don't know how to create a usable experience (that is, not create a way to disable reading of every feaking pdf page)?  Well if you did, then this may be the answer as someone else found on another thread:

______FROM RootFXCM______

So I did the following which seems to have stopped both crashes:
              In the following directory
              C:\Program

Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat\plug_ins
              I renamed Accessibility.api and ReadOutLoud.api files to Accessibility.api.bak and ReadOutLoud.api.bak. The PDF files that used to crash adobe no longer crash it after renaming Accessibility.api and the Edit - Preferences menu started working after renaming the ReadOutLoud.api. So it appears that those 2 plugins were causing those issues.

Renaming the ReadOutLoud.api worked for me.

james

• 5. Re: unable to access preferences pane
                joe.foxhoven Level 1

boy, this forum is by far the least helpful place i think i have ever

visited.  i received two of the most worthless, mindless replies in here

that i have ever seen, not even remotely pertinent to what i said was

happening.  don't guess, if you don't know don't try. wasting people's time.

• 6. Re: unable to access preferences pane
                  kaliana94

I am sorry to hear that you aren't finding a solution to your issue.

Here's what I did when I came up with the same problem. Yes, this is an ebook that I received from my school.

I downloaded the ebook and then tried to "Open" instead of "Save". When I saved the attachment and then opened, I could open the file without the error. I received the error when I tried to Open it from the school website.

I researched the term "Trusted Manager Preference". Go to "Edit", "Preferences", "Trusted Manager", "Change Settings". Ensure that the checkbox with "Let Me Specify a list of ...". The box with "My Web Sites" has a Always Block next to the site. Type that website into the allow box, Click Allow. This will add it to the My Web site box. Delete the site that is always blocked.

This worked for me. Hopefully it will work for you.

• 7. Re: unable to access preferences pane
                    joe.foxhoven Level 1

nope, i cannot even access the preferences pane, that's the only problem. i dont know how i can be more clear as to the problem.

• 8. Re: unable to access preferences pane
                      kaliana94 Level 1

Can you open Adobe? When you say that you cannot access the Preference pane, do you have the adobe software open?

If you have it open, you should be able to find the Edit on the toolbar. At the bottom of the Edit list, you should see the Preferences. The keyboard shortcut is CTRL + K.

Hope that helps, if it doesn't, I offer m

y apologies, that's the end of my minimal knowledge with Adobe.

• 9. Re: unable to access preferences pane
                        joe.foxhoven Level 1

i appreciate your help, dont worry about it. its going to take a miracle to

get this one fixed.  i can open adobe, i know where to find the preferences

pane, but it pops up Internal Error when i click on Edit>Preferences.

• 10. Re: unable to access preferences pane
                          dmmhill2010

Renaming ReadOutLoad.api to ReadOutLoud.api.bak really does make the Preferences pane available. I just tried it and it works.

• 11. Re: unable to access preferences pane
                            370H55V Level 4

Go back and read the very first post:

Trying to open a LiveRights protected file, Mac OSX 10.5.8, Reader 9.2,

dmmhill2010 wrote:

Renaming ReadOutLoad.api to ReadOutLoud.api.bak really does make the Preferences pane available. I just tried it and it works.

Except that on a Mac there are no api files and api.bak files wouldn't work if they were renamed so.

Here's a thread on a Mac OS X site that seems to indicate this is related to Symantec (YUCK!!!) antivirus running on OS X.

A poster here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/391959 says it was the result of using HFS journaled case sensitive formatting on a reload of the OS.

• 12. Re: unable to access preferences pane
                              joe.foxhoven Level 1

thank you arizona cowboy, im really getting tired of people with irrelevant

help. i guess they just want to feel like they tried i guess? dont think

this problem is solvable....

• 13. Re: unable to access preferences pane
                                370H55V Level 4

Funny thing is I've never seen this problem, in any app at all. But I've never run CS4 in anything but Snow Leopard.

Still, in Leopard, with CS3, I never had the issue, in Acrobat or Reader 8.

I've never run antivirus on any mac I've ever owned going back to my first iMac in 2003, so I can't relate to to the Symantec claims of the one thread.

I had a system at work (intuit) that was case sensitive HFS and it had trouble with all kinds of software, so there might be something there.

• 14. Re: unable to access preferences pane
                                  hmdwig

Joe, I'm currently running Acrobat Pro 9.3.2 in Mac OS 10.5.8 and was having very similar issues to yours - I was trying to use the Image Touchup Tool and received the "Failed to load an application resource (internal error)." error message. Then realized that none of my Touchup Tools worked, I couldn't get to my Preferences, and none of my Plug-ins seemed to be loading after reviewing the "About Adobe Plug-Ins..." pane. Did a whole lot of digging around the web, and like you I wasn't finding anything that seemed relevant ("seemed" being the operative word) including the post that's linked in your topic regarding Symantec. Frustration grew and I figured I didn't have anything to lose by getting rid of all things Symantec/NortonAV related since I've moved to ClamXav anyways and it turns out that after getting rid if everything (and I mean everything) Symantec/NortonAV, then for good measure restarting since much of it was out of my main Library, Acrobat started working correctly -- my Touchup tools worked correctly and I could access my Prefs.

If you have, or even have had, NortonAV installed give it a shot. I understand your frustration, hope this helps.

H

• 15. Re: unable to access preferences pane
                                    mexicomapmaker

Jacksmind is absolutely correct. I did as he said and am looking at my Preferences choices now. To the original poster, ease off on the criticism. These folks are trying to help and you are not paying them. And, as it turns out, Jack had the solution for you ages ago.

• 16. Re: unable to access preferences pane
                                      joe.foxhoven Level 1

Yeah great for you mexico!  Except I'm not even using Windows!  So this problem still remains unsolved, without a single person giving any pertinent advice besides the last guy on the symantec issue, but I'm not running any A/V so still unhelpful.  I guess this forum may help a lot of other people, that's great, but it doesn't help me at all, just shows me that people aren't very good listeners/readers.

• 17. Re: unable to access preferences pane
                                        mexicomapmaker Level 1

Joe,

Listen, I hear your frustration, but think outside the limitations of MAC vs PC box for a minute. An ond GF of mine used to have a MAC and I was able to solve lots of her problems by seeing what worked in my Windows machine. Even if you are using a MAC, the file names will be the same although extensions are another thing. By searchng for the files for the ones we changed, you can maybe fix your problem. As I recall you did not try that.

And, after nearly 40 years of computer experience, I believe it is safe to say that the same answer on the same system may not always work for everyone because there is always some little setting or tweak that someone else has. Therefore what I do is to listen to all, try what seems to make sense first and then try what worked for them later. There are always going to be some idiots posing as experts, but on the whole, I believe most people on the Adobe forums are sincere.

• 18. Re: unable to access preferences pane
                                          joe.foxhoven Level 1

I appreciate your input mexico, I apologize for being an ***.  Just can't believe there's no fix for this, I have been trying most of the good ideas here, including jacks, and to no avail, but honestly there are no reputable people in here posting so it's hard to take their input seriously...  I gave up ages ago and am just using Reader 8 for the encrypted docs and the much better Preview built into Mac OS for other PDFs.