9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2010 5:17 AM by Jacob Bugge

Preview fonts

M0man Level 1

Hi all,

I was hoping someone could tell me if it's possible to make the list of fonts in CS4 a preview list of the fonts, So that instead of the standard font for all the fonts in the list, Each name was displayed in it's specific font.

Any help would be great,

Cheers,

-Ford

• 1. Re: Preview fonts
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

You can already from two different locations the menu item Type>Font>(fonts preview in their font style) and the same for the Character Panel as such:

Screen shot 2010-01-10 at 2.58.31 AM.png

Screen shot 2010-01-10 at 2.58.57 AM.png

Also if you have a windows operating system and you highlight the text of the artboard or anywhere on the canvas and you then scroll through the list of fonts from the Character Panel the text will update live to the current font as you scroll.

If you use the control pane to select your font then it uses the default font for everything.

• 2. Re: Preview fonts
            shunithD Level 3

Wade_Zimmerman wrote:

You can already from two different locations the menu item Type>Font>(fonts preview in their font style) and the same for the Character Panel <snipped>

Hi Wade...

For some strange reason i can never see the font preview in the Character Panel. I can see it in the Type -> Font. And, highlighting ior selecting text and then changing the font reflects the typeface but Character Panel just shows the name of the font.

AI CS4 & CS 3 on WinXP.

sd

Edit: Image attached

character_panel.jpg

• 3. Re: Preview fonts
              JETalmage Level 6
              For some strange reason i can never see the font preview in the Character Panel.

The strange reason is: that's the way it's designed. The actual-typeface preview in only in the Type>Font menu. The current treatment is also a step backward from earlier versions. Prior to the current behavior, The Type>Font drop-down menu did not simply open a single-column, long, and scrolls-like-cold-honey menu; it opened a multi-column list which operated much faster and required less scrolling (if any). I think that change occurred between versions 9 and 10 or between 10 and CS.

JET

• 4. Re: Preview fonts
                shunithD Level 3

JETalmage wrote:

The strange reason is: that's the way it's designed. The actual-typeface preview in only in the Type>Font menu. The current treatment is also a step backward from earlier versions. Prior to the current behavior, The Type>Font drop-down menu did not simply open a single-column, long, and scrolls-like-cold-honey menu; it opened a multi-column list which operated much faster and required less scrolling (if any). I think that change occurred between versions 9 and 10 or between 10 and CS.

Then why on earth do a lot of people say that font preview is also available in the Character Panel?

Yes and the single column list is a bit of a pain

• 5. Re: Preview fonts
                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

shunithD wrote:

JETalmage wrote:

Then why on earth do a lot of people say that font preview is also available in the Character Panel?

Yes and the single column list is a bit of a pain

Because it is look for yourself click on the arrow head like icon to the right of the font name field and you should see this list like I see it.

However I notice you are on Windows so it may be different for that platform though I am not aware of it.

Here is a screen shot of the expanded list fro the character panel.

Screen shot 2010-01-10 at 11.11.51 AM.png

• 6. Re: Preview fonts
                    shunithD Level 3

Hi Wade....

Windows XP... Character Panel does not show fonts in preview mode. Main menu Type -> Fonts shows it...

Either it's a Windows vs. Mac thing or i have some setting disabled / abled....

Cheers!

• 7. Re: Preview fonts
                      Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Perhaps that is the case but you d have live preview of the fonts on the canvas so that should be helpful and you can use he Menu item as well. So you have a way.

• 8. Re: Preview fonts
                        Harron K. Appleman Level 4

... it's a Windows vs. Mac thing...

Bingo!

This is one of those rare instances of different AI functionality between platforms. I would have thought this solved by now, but apparently not.

• 9. Re: Preview fonts
                          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

JETalmage wrote:

... it opened a multi-column list which operated much faster and required less scrolling (if any). I think that change occurred between versions 9 and 10 or between 10 and CS.

It is multi column, no scrolling, in 10.

So it seems to be back to 9(ish).