2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2010 9:24 AM by briano.de.rhino

TEXT TUTORIAL - 'Moon'

briano.de.rhino Level 1

Looking for a TEXT TUTORIAL like opening credits in 'moon' the movie. The text had shadows and lights on it as though it was hanging in 3d space in the same room as the actor. I tried all over youtube and adobeforums but couldnt find a tut. Could someone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks a million.

Briano.

• 1. Re: TEXT TUTORIAL - 'Moon'
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's not a video tutorial, but there are project files included. I put it together about a zillion years ago. But if you'd like to take a look at this old tutorial I did on Projection in AE 5 you'll find a section about half way down on fake 3D inspired by the opening titles for the Jody Foster film "Panic Room."  The idea was probably inspired by Saul Bass for his titles for Hitchcock's film North By Northwest.

Rick's Projection Tutorial

The technique takes a little work in Photoshop to create the background plates for the walls. With the current version of Photoshop you could use the Perspective Grid tool to do this more efficiently. All you have to do is separate foreground middl ground and background elements, arrange them in 3D space so they are distorted so that they patch the perspective of the scene, then insert your text in the 3D space and work a little compositing magic with blend modes and or lights.

You might want to google AE 2.5d or AE Camera Mapping to find more info on the subject.

• 2. Re: TEXT TUTORIAL - 'Moon'
            briano.de.rhino Level 1

thanks so much dude, I really wanna impress with my next video for work.

Thanks,

Brian.