2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2010 10:45 AM by envirographics

Can Premiere edit original footage file to match project length ?

envirographics Level 1

Hi,

Premiere Pro CS3.

I have in the project deleted out a fair length of the original avi capture footage.

I now wish to reduce the file size of the original footage avi file to give me more hard drive space, how can I do this ?

Is there a command to trim original footage to match the cuts made in premiere and still allow the project to open without complaining of being unable to see the file ?

I wish to re-open the project later and carry out further work, else I could export as AVI and have a new avi file, then delete the original. However when I re-open the project to make changes I would imagine it would ask for the original file.

Envirographics

• 1. Re: Can Premiere edit original footage file to match project length ?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

If you are stressed for disk space, get another disk or capture with scene detection and delete the unneeded clips.

• 2. Re: Can Premiere edit original footage file to match project length ?
            envirographics Level 1

Hi,

I had a situation where I had to leave the camcorder unattended and filming as I was in the scene, but was unable to get back to it for quite a while when nothing much was happening except some sequences worth having. Scene detect would not work on what was a continual filming.

I am not struggling for disk space but to allow this massive chunk of unneeded footage to still exist and mop up unnecessary space would be silly.

I created a project with the intent of chopping out the unwanted parts then saving as a new avi, then using that in a new project applying fades etc and serious edits, but got so engrossed in the editing and so on, next thing I knew was I had the finished project, except for a need to come back later and edit the sound, add some stills etc. !

....its based on this footage thats three times as long as required and many Gigs !  I need to shorten the original file.

Its like any project though, you end up cutting out parts, but are stuck with the original footage taking up HD space. I wish there was a way of getting Premiere to trim the original based on what edits you have made and be able to open the project again with the trimmed original, still showing the joins, transitions etc.

AVI files do mop up space, I have a dedicated video editing PC with Terrabyte HD's but to be blase about space will soon see it filled.

Is there a way of trimming original file to match project and have project open without complaint ?

Envirographics.