8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2010 3:20 AM by kohns

Formating my disk creates a second unwanted partition.

kohns

My system just crashed... and I can't boot into windows anymore... it says it is unable to find the NTLDR.

Luckily I have an Acronis Disk Image... I thought...

But when I started Acronis to recover and wanted to select the target disk to copy my windows image to I found this disk had 2 partitions... :

- Primary NTFS 143,086.7 MB

- Pri/Log Free             2.4 MB

So I went out, rebooted into Smart Fdisk and found the 2 partitions which I deleted.

Since I can not format NTFS with Smart Fdisk I rebooted into Acronis Disk Director and there I formated the partition.

When I then rebooted back into Smart Fdisk again I can see 2 partitions ???

Any idea ?

I want to have a single NTFS partition on that disk to be compliant to Harm Millard his instructions.

• 1. Re: Formating my disk creates a second unwanted partition.
          Harm Millaard Level 7

If you are installing Win7, it will by default create a separate partition. system reserved of around 100 MB. Getting around this is a bit tricky and, while you were very attentive to my remarks, remember these were made around a year ago in the Vista era. It does not seem worth the time and effort to avoid this Windows made partition with Win7. Just accept it as it is.

• 2. Re: Formating my disk creates a second unwanted partition.
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That small a size might just be a leftover area from a binary modular number size of the main partition.  I do not know why but I have an unused 8 MB area on one of my XP OS drive.  Don't worry about it.  Also that 160 GB 7200 rpm drive sounds like it could be a much older drive and if so it maybe one of your performance limiters.  Is it a SATA 150 MB/sec or a 300 MB/sec drive?

• 3. Re: Formating my disk creates a second unwanted partition.
              kohns Level 1

"

If you are installing Win7, it will by default create a separate partition. system reserved of around 100 MB. Getting around this is a bit tricky and, while you were very attentive to my remarks, remember these were made around a year ago in the Vista era. It does not seem worth the time and effort to avoid this Windows made partition with Win7. Just accept it as it is.

"

The trick to get around this is to format the drive outside of windows 7 and make sure there is no room for Windows 7 to create such a partition.

My problem at this moment is not Windows 7 trying to create such a partition... I am formatting this drive outside of windows... I use a bootable version of partition manager (like Acronis) .

"

That small a size might just be a leftover area from a binary modular number size of the main partition.  I do not know why but I have an unused 8 MB area on one of my XP OS drive.  Don't worry about it.  Also that 160 GB 7200 rpm drive sounds like it could be a much older drive and if so it maybe one of your performance limiters.  Is it a SATA 150 MB/sec or a 300 MB/sec drive?

"

It is no leftover... I already deleted the partitions on that disk and wiped them out multiple times.  The thing is that the tools I use to format the disk all want to create a second partition.

Also it is actually a brand new 150GB 10000RPM WD Velociraptor disk.  I bought it 3 days ago to replace my 160GB WD Caviar which I used for Windows and restored my Acronis Windows 7 bootimage onto it.

It has been working for almost 2 days but this afternoon windows crashed while I was copying my data to my raid volume (which is not my windows disk).

• 4. Re: Formating my disk creates a second unwanted partition.
                Phil Griffith Level 2

Personally, I would not worry about 2.4 megs of disk space regardless of the reason. Is it formatted partition or unformatted? If unformatted, then it probably is just left over space.

• 5. Re: Formating my disk creates a second unwanted partition.

Also it is actually a brand new 150GB 10000RPM WD Velociraptor disk.  I bought it 3 days ago to replace my 160GB WD Caviar which I used for Windows and restored my Acronis Windows 7 bootimage onto it.

Great move that alone should help your PPBM4 AVI Encoding score!  Hope you get back in business without much of a problem.

• 6. Re: Formating my disk creates a second unwanted partition.
                    kohns Level 1

I am afraid it is a bit to late... it is going to be a complete reinstall of everything.

It looked like a bios thing:

I have 3 disks attached to the mobo's controller : 1 150GB velociraptor and 2x320 GB disks.

Those 2 x 320 GB disks were configured in raid0 for paging/temp and I used the 150GB just for Windows and applications

In the bios you have boot order and there I could not select the 150GB disk anymore... only the raid0 disks.

Just under the boot order option in the bios I also have disk order... I just had to change back the 150GB disk to position 1.

Now that the 150GB was at the top of the list... I could select the 150GB to boot from.

So during my system/windows crash something happened to the bios that changed the 'disk order' causing my 'boot order' not to see the 150GB disk as valid boot disk.

So instead of booting from the 150GB it tried to boot from the raid0 disk volume which indeed does not contain windows or the ntldr.

I changed all that now and am currently reinstalling windows 7 and used ...

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/08/20/hack-to-remove-100-mb-system-reserved-partition-w hen-installing-windows-7/

... to avoid the second partition to get created.

After that I am going to bed... it is past 01:00 again...

• 7. Re: Formating my disk creates a second unwanted partition.

One thing that may have happened in your imaging of your 160 GB disk to the 150 GB drive is something got corrupted.  I have not used Acronis but I know that with Norton Ghost that you cannot image a larger disk to a smaller drive.

• 8. Re: Formating my disk creates a second unwanted partition.
                        kohns Level 1

Windows is reinstalled from fresh... all updates and drivers are as well.

I took a new Acronis Image and am now tweaking it again (stopping/disabling services, ... )

Once that is done I will take a new image and then start to install the software.

At this moment the disk only has a single partition.  So this topic is actually resolved.