4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2010 1:20 PM by the_wine_snob

Why does it take so long to render my video?

boongsong

I imported 11 mini discs and created a project with the intention of compiling them to be recorded on larger dvd. I can't understand what the background rendering is all about. I'm in my 4th day of rendering. Yesterday I stopped after 13+ hrs and today I'm in my 9th hr. I am not interested in adding any enhancements, additions, or anything else - just straight compilation of 11 minis to however many larger dvds. Why is it taking so long to do the background renderingf?

• 1. Re: Why does it take so long to render my video?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I recommend turning off background rendering in the FAQs to the right of this forum. It's got more liabilities than benefits.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/503270?tstart=0

Even still, it shouldn't take that long to render your files, assuming you've got a relatively powerful computer (i.e., at least a dual-core processor, up to date operating system and 2-4 gigs of RAM).

How long is your project? A DVD can only hold about 70 minutes of video.

And are you ensuring you're using the DVD project settings? If not, you'll run into problems eventually.

As you add DVD or MPEG files to your project, the program will need to first assimilate them. This should only take a couple of minutes for each file, depending on how long they are.

Once you place these files on your timeline, you will see a red line above them along the top of the timeline. Press Enter and the program will render them and the red line will turn green. Again, this shouldn't take more than 5 or 10 minutes, depending on how long your video is.

Assuming, of course, that you have adequate hardware to support version 8, which needs about 2-3 times the power of previous versions.

• 2. Re: Why does it take so long to render my video?
            Letmethink Level 1

11 mini discs means (11x 30 min.) = 5.5. hours video.

Before we come to Why? question, please share :

- System configuration

- Which project settings are you using. If these are miniDVD disc, Use Std. (720x480) project setting.

- If you like to combined all discs.to burn as sigle DVD, it will loose it's quality. Normally single DVD (4.7GB) can contain 1 hour of Good quality video. So I can suggest, Put 1 hour video on timline and then render (Burn to DVD).

- Again to avoid long time, take project settings and export format same. i.e. Burn to DVD (NTSC Std), project setting should be same.

Please share your findings.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Why does it take so long to render my video?
              boongsong Level 1

Thank you for your timely response. I'm new at this and have been trying to find a program that will allow me to accomplish this without a lot of "bells and whistles" added. I haven't had a chance to retry at this time but will let you know in the future. Right now, I'm positive my computer is too old to do what I want it to do. I'm running Windows XP, Media Center. I have a Compaq Presario w/3500+ AMD Athlon2.19Ghz, 1gb RAM, 200gb HD. It is old and I'm about ready to get a new one. Price is definitely a consideration but I'm open to suggestions if you have any. Again, Thank you.

• 4. Re: Why does it take so long to render my video?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

For general editing/Rendering/playback, the I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's will be the biggest bottleneck. I recommend 2 physical HDD's as the absolute minimum configuration, with a 3x physical HDD setup being even better. Note: I am talking about "physical" HDD's and NOT partitions.

With a 32-bit OS, 4 GB RAM will be all that you can use (actually, you will only be able to use ~ 3.5 GB of that 4 GB, but 4 GB will fill up all slots. With a 64-bit OS, I'd definitely look into ~ 12 GB of RAM.

Now, if one is doing editing of AVCHD material, the CPU will be very important with a minimum of a fast Quad-core being the starting point. The i7 will be even better, with dual i7's being better still.

This ARTICLE will give you tips on setting up your new I/O sub-system..

Good luck,

Hunt