11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2010 7:14 PM by davdav99

Dual Monitor Issue - Jerky video in CS4.2.1

davdav99 Level 1

I put this post in another section by accident... and then it was deleted.  I think the post should be here as the issue is different to the last location... and it may help others who have a similar question.

---------------------

I have built a new i7 computer with 12G RAM and I have put in a relatively cheap video card Nvidia GeForce 9600GT.  I have two 19" monitors (Dell 1905FP) connected to it.

Premiere Pro CS4.2.1 works fine when I have it on one monitor only, however if I scretch the application over the two monitors, playback is jerky.  I have even tried to keep CS4 on one monitor and undocked some windows and moved them to the second monitor.  But still get jerky video.

Any suggestions to get me moving?  I really find it hard to use Premiere on one monitor.  Never had a problem with previous versions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

-------------------------

Harm Millaard asks whether "AVCHD material?"

-----------------------------

I am using DV from my video camera.  Never had a problem in the past.

Also I should tell you that:

- I have the latest Nvidia drivers installed

- all formats and settings in CS4 are matched to my footage

Anyone... any suggestions/ideas?

• 1. Re: Dual Monitor Issue - Jerky video in CS4.2.1
          Harm Millaard Level 7

With DV material and your setup, this should be a piece of cake. Did you set your playback options to high quality and the size to fit? Do you use at least 3 physical disks?

• 2. Re: Dual Monitor Issue - Jerky video in CS4.2.1
            davdav99 Level 1

I agree, this should be a piece of cake with DV.  I can also play HD with great success... except when I stretch the CS4 application over the two monitors.

To answer your questions:

(1) I have tried the playback options on High Quality, Low Quality, and automatic.  I also have it set to size to fit. It has no affect to the issue.

(2) I have one hard disk for the OS and application.  And two other disks set up as a striped array for the project files.  It is a super fast computer.

There must be an explanation why it works perfectly on one monitor... but not when stretched to two.

Should I purchase a second video card for the second monitor?  It sounds like overkill to me though.

• 3. Re: Dual Monitor Issue - Jerky video in CS4.2.1
              Jeff Bellune Level 5

You posted in one thread, then started another with the same post.

I deleted your new topic, but I left your original post intact.  See post #13 in this thread.

Please do not double-post.  It confuses everyone, you included.

-Jeff

• 4. Re: Dual Monitor Issue - Jerky video in CS4.2.1
                Harm Millaard Level 7

You don't need a second video card. Many users have dual monitors with a single video card without any problem. What video card and what driver do you use?

• 5. Re: Dual Monitor Issue - Jerky video in CS4.2.1
                  davdav99 Level 1

I have the Nvidia GeForce 9600GT.

The latest driver for this on WIndows 7 (64 bit) is 195.62.  This is installed and working perfectly.

Any ideas?

• 6. Re: Dual Monitor Issue - Jerky video in CS4.2.1
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

The driver is the correct version, the card is pretty common so now you have me stumped. The problem is I use an ATI card, so I can't show you my settings to help you. It ought to work without problems, so you could try different settings in your driver to extend/stretch your desktop. It looks like the problem is somewhere in your monitor setup, but not using nVidia has me at a disadvantage. Maybe someone with a nVidia card can tune in. Sorry.

Compliments on the accurate and well documented information you have given.

• 7. Re: Dual Monitor Issue - Jerky video in CS4.2.1
                      davdav99 Level 1

Thanks Harm for your reply.

Anyone else have ideas??

• 8. Re: Dual Monitor Issue - Jerky video in CS4.2.1
                        ian video

Hi,

sorry to be of no help, but I have CS4.2.1 running on an i7 with 3GB of memory and dual 21" 1600x1200 monitors using an XFX GT8600GT.

My video comes from a dual disk RAID0 pair of VelociRaptors

My scratch files are on another dual disk RAID0 pair of VelociRaptors.

I can edit and playback HDV video with no jerkiness in the various windows.

I did have problems initially using a very old driver, and my upgrade to NVIDIA_195.62 was a disaster.   I backed down to NVIDIA_182.50_geforce and everything ran OK.  The thread is in Premiere_Pro under "ian video" last posting on the 9th Jan.

Soory this is not much help, but it probably does imply that you are close to a fix.   I don't visit this forum regularly and am really busy for the next few days with other stuff, but if you want me to check something in my config to compare with yours, e-mail me direct at ian.firth@sympatico.ca.

I will keep lookingat my e-mail fairly regularly over the next few days.

Cheers, Ian

• 9. Re: Dual Monitor Issue - Jerky video in CS4.2.1
                          davdav99 Level 1

Thanks Ian,

I have written direclty to your email address, but thought to copy it here so that others can see continuity of the thread.

I don't feel as though I am close to a solution.  Every other NLE application I have works across two screens except this version of Premiere Pro.

Three main questions:

(1) How do I back down to NVIDIA_182.50_geforce and where do I get the download from?

(2) I assume that you are not using a 64 bit Operating System.  Which one are you using?

(3) Is there someone from Adobe who we can contact to get help?

Regards

• 10. Re: Dual Monitor Issue - Jerky video in CS4.2.1
                            ian video Level 1

Hi,

This is a reply to your direct e-mail.   I can spend a couple of hours in all my forums of interest, or I can do all my real scheduled stuff and monitor my e-mails now and then until I get over my Wed's timeline crunch.

I had no problem with two screen working, but CS4 alone gave me the problems noted in the other thread to yours.  I had no problem with CS4 and SD working, but HD working via HDV input wouldn't work.  Although the fixes used were the driver upgrade, the removal of Roxio to reduce other codecs in the system and memory retrieval (from the 2GB reported), my fix, I am sure, was the driver change.  Mine was an upgrade from the original driver supplied with the card about 5 yrs ago to 185.

1) -  I got the driver from the NVIDIA website (www.nvidia.com).  At the download page, at the bottom, there is "Additional Software and Drivers" and clicking the first link (Beta and Archived Drivers) provides a list.  I ignored the Beta versions and tried 195 with a load of problems associated with trying to get it to run dual monitor and high resolution.  It kept crapping out and returning to basic VGA, single monitor replicated.   I picked 182 as the last before /ION (whatever that is) and the one that went through more than one WHQL release, hoping to get more stability.

2) - I'm using XP Pro 32 bit.

3) - I don't know.   I tried Adobe for the first time with my problem, as I have has CS4 for  awhile, but have been having a bunch of hardware (mobo) problems since getting VS4, so I have not used it extensively yet.  Having built my new system and starting to use it, I suddenly hit my problems and went to the Adobe site.  Harm and Wil helped me fix my problem, but I am not sure who else they have.  Have you used dvinfo.net.  They have a Premiere forum, down after the camera forums.  It may be worth a try there.  Although most of the Adobe specialty info will come from Adobe people, you will also come across the users in the video world.  Might also be worth trying the NVIDIA forums, especially the User groups, which will be monitored by the NVIDIA people.

Cheers, Ian

Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 16:26:24 -0700

To: ian.firth@sympatico.ca

Subject: Dual Monitor Issue - Jerky video in CS4.2.1

Thanks Ian,

I have written direclty to your email address, but thought to copy it here so that others can see continuity of the thread.

I don't feel as though I am close to a solution.  Every other NLE application I have works across two screens except this version of Premiere Pro.

Three main questions:

(1) How do I back down to NVIDIA_182.50_geforce and where do I get the download from?

(2) I assume that you are not using a 64 bit Operating System.  Which one are you using?

(3) Is there someone from Adobe who we can contact to get help?

Regards

>

• 11. Re: Dual Monitor Issue - Jerky video in CS4.2.1
                              davdav99 Level 1

Thanks Ian... I'll give your suggestions a go.