6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2008 10:36 AM by Newsgroup_User

Another Flash question

aweiss@juhsd.k12.ca.us
      Hey folks--

I've created a site with some Flash buttons for navigation. I created them within Dreamweaver MX 2004. I'm using Mac OSX. Here's the problem: when I upload the files to the server, the flash button links work in Safari. They do not work in Firefox for Mac, Firefox for Windows, or IE for Windows.

Please help.

Here's the page:
      http://ohs.juhsd.net/newsite/
        • 1. Re: Another Flash question
          Level 7
          > I've created a site with some Flash buttons for navigation. I created them
          > within Dreamweaver MX 2004. I'm using Mac OSX. Here's the problem: when I
          > upload the files to the server, the flash button links work in Safari.
          > They do
          > not work in Firefox for Mac, Firefox for Windows, or IE for Windows.
          >
          > Please help.

Why are you using Flash for that navigation? There's really no reason for
          it. You could easily make those as simple images with CSS rollovers. Even
          easier, just use HTML links and CSS.

The 'link' within an image file is embedded within the flash file. So, if
          the links aren't working, it'd due to some issue within the swfl files.

-Darrel

• 2. Re: Another Flash question
            Level 7
            And frames....

--
            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
            Adobe Community Expert
            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
            ==================
            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            ==================

"darrel" <notreal@nowhere.com> wrote in message
            news:fopugm$911$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >> I've created a site with some Flash buttons for navigation. I created
            >> them
            >> within Dreamweaver MX 2004. I'm using Mac OSX. Here's the problem: when I
            >> upload the files to the server, the flash button links work in Safari.
            >> They do
            >> not work in Firefox for Mac, Firefox for Windows, or IE for Windows.
            >>
            >> Please help.
            >
            > Why are you using Flash for that navigation? There's really no reason for
            > it. You could easily make those as simple images with CSS rollovers. Even
            > easier, just use HTML links and CSS.
            >
            > The 'link' within an image file is embedded within the flash file. So, if
            > the links aren't working, it'd due to some issue within the swfl files.
            >
            > -Darrel
            >

• 3. Re: Another Flash question
              aweiss@juhsd.k12.ca.us Level 1
              When I mouse over the link, it shows the correct URL in the status bar at the bottom of the browser. But in Firefox and IE nothing happens when the link is clicked. So the link is correct.

I know you guys don't like Flash buttons and you don't like frames. I was just trying to get this to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
              • 4. Re: Another Flash question
                Level 7
                > clicked. So the link is correct.

The fact that it doesn't work in Firefox says the opposite...the link in the
                flash file is not correct.

Looking at your source code, it appears you wrapped the SWF files with A
                HREFs. Again, the link in a SWF file is embedded *in* the SWF file, so I
                don't blame any browser for ignoring the HREFs altogether. It appears Safari
                is doing you a favor. Don't expect the other browsers to follow suit. ;o)

> I know you guys don't like Flash buttons and you don't like frames. I was
                > just
                > trying to get this to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well, you're going to have to open each SWF file and edit the link as
                needed. Or re-create them in DW with the proper link to begin with.

Again, we are trying to help you by suggesting you do NOT use Flash for
                this. As you are finding, it's a maintenance headache.

-Darrel

• 5. Re: Another Flash question
                  aweiss@juhsd.k12.ca.us Level 1
                  I wrapped the links in HREFs because they weren't working.

I'll take your advice and ditch the flash buttons.

Thanks.
                  • 6. Re: Another Flash question
                    Level 7
                    When they didn't have the a href links around them, they would have probably
                    worked if you clicked TWICE on them. Once to activate the object, the second
                    time to go to the link.

you are probably using an older version of dreamweaver, the 8.02 update and
                    CS3 write the flash insert code a different way to get around the EOLAS
                    lawsuit and the changes microsoft made in browsers to deal with it.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/activecontent/articles/devletter.html

that link explains the change and how to adapt if using an older version of
                    dw.

--
                    Alan
                    Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/