2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2008 6:41 PM by mancunian12

Opening a flash video

mancunian12 Level 1
      Good evening,

I was trying to create link that would open a flash video. I am using Dreamweaver 8. If I open the video from my hard drive it just opens normally. If I do it via a website it has a window pop up asking to run the program, then it says are you sure you want to run the program and then I can open it. I want users to just click the link to see the video play. I wonder if the problem is because of the file extension, I don't have the name with me right now but it is in this format example.exe and not a flash extension yet it plays a flash movie. Is there a way I can make this movie play without users being asked to run the program?
        • 1. Re: Opening a flash video
          Level 7
          Hello,

If it's got an .exe extension and plays the flash video it's a flash
          projector.
          I don't believe there is a way to over-ride the warnings about downloading
          an .exe file , as there really shouldn't be.

Can you get a copy of the video in .FLV format?

I seem to remember that you can't convert a projector file back into flash
          video, but I'm not certain if that's still the case.
          You might want to ask in the flash forum.

Take care,
          Tim

"mancunian12" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:g1varr$etg$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Good evening,
          >
          > I was trying to create link that would open a flash video. I am using
          > Dreamweaver 8. If I open the video from my hard drive it just opens
          > normally.
          > If I do it via a website it has a window pop up asking to run the program,
          > then
          > it says are you sure you want to run the program and then I can open it. I
          > want
          > users to just click the link to see the video play. I wonder if the
          > problem is
          > because of the file extension, I don't have the name with me right now but
          > it
          > is in this format example.exe and not a flash extension yet it plays a
          > flash
          > movie. Is there a way I can make this movie play without users being asked
          > to
          > run the program?
          >

• 2. Re: Opening a flash video
            mancunian12 Level 1
            Hi Tim,

Thank you for your reply. I will look into this tomorrow. I was given the flash video on a cd to post online. Your answer makes sense. If I play it right from the cd it does not ask me to run the program. I will try the flash forum. Have a great evening.