2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2010 11:40 AM by motiondude

Image rollover with swop image(?) as added behaviour

motiondude Level 1

Hi, I was struggling both with the right title for this thread as with the problem I'd like to solve. Here's what I want to do. I've made a little navbar containing 6 words placed on a large (grey) background. Each word is a button with 3 states, they're all working fine. But now I want to add a feature. On each button I want onMouseOver an image to appear covering the whole grey background while keeping the rollover states. I've tried this by placing a hotspot over the buttons targeting a slice called "main". But when I do this I run into 2 problems. First of all, the rollover states disappear, and second, if the slice runs all the way down, so behind the buttons, the other buttons disappear and instead I get to see rectangles in the colour of the grey background and in the size of their slices. Now how can I fix this? I hope my explanation makes any sense. If not, I also included a little test file for you guys to look at. Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Image rollover with swop image(?) as added behaviour
          pixlor Level 4

In Fireworks, you can't have overlapping slices. That's probably why adding the hotspot over your buttons causes the buttons to disappear.

I think I understand what you want. You want each button to be a rollover as well as a disjoint rollover for the background image.

If you have the background image as a separate image (and the buttons have transparent backgrounds so that the nav bar background shows through), then you might be able to do that in Dreamweaver.

If you export the buttons as images and the background element is included in each button image, then what you need is for each button to be a rollover as well as a disjoint rollover for all the other buttons. You might be able to do that in FW, but only by using the individual slices on each button.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Image rollover with swop image(?) as added behaviour
            motiondude Level 1

Thanks pixior. Disjointed rollover is probably a better description for what I want to do. Indeed, Im going to continue in DW CS4. I hoped it was a stacking order problem instead of a slicing problem. If it can be done in DW does it involve jQuery or simply with the standard behaviours? Can you - or anyone else - point me to a document or tutorial that deals with this subject? TIA