10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2010 8:50 AM by Powered by Design

Using AVCHD Video to make DVD's

MCRoberts Level 1

Greetings:

I have to take AVCHD video and commit the blasphemous act of reducing this to something that plays on a DVD player. The best I have managed so far is to create one of those essentially "WideScreen" type Standard DV videos at 720x480 and when I view this on my wide screen LCD TV (52" Sony Bravia), I set the TV's viewing mode so that the picture fits more or less nicely into the 16:9 format screen. I understand, in principle, that I have taken my 16:9 video and squeezed it into a 4:3 720 pixel wide format, leaving dark, unoccupied bands of nothingness at the top and bottom. This essentially wastes a good chuck of the 480 pixel vertical resolution. When I expand this to vertically fill my 16:9 format screen, I'm probably looking at something like 360 pixel vertical resolution (or worse).

Needless to say, I find this depressing and I can't help but wonder if I'm missing something.

I have that DVD Video set "Planet Earth", produced by the BBC. It's a DVD and I am playing it on a Sony Dream system DVD player purchased in 2006. However, for some reason that my mortal mind cannot grasp, this DVD looks FABULOUS on my LCD TV. How can this be? It's a DVD but it LOOK's like High-Definition. Furthermore, they have squeezed 3 HOURS of content onto just one Dual Layer (I assume) DVD and every single minute of it looks great. Sure, on very close inspection, one can see that it is not quite HD quality. Nevertheless, it seems to me to be the best possible quality that can be gleaned from DVD media. How did they DO that?

I have Premier Pro CS4. I'm running on a newly upgraded Window 7 system with 8GB RAM and Quad Core processor. I will do what ever it takes to improve the quality of my projects that I have to burn on DVD.

Can anybody enlighten me?

Thank you,

Mark Roberts,

Toronto, Canada