2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2008 4:19 AM by Newsgroup_User

Help-New to Dreamweaver CS3 and CSS-background

DD226
      I have struggled more with learning DW and style sheets than I ever thought I would. So if you will be patient, I am going to try to ask one question at a time until I can actually get something accomplished.

First, I would like my website to have a centered container style. An example of a website would be:
      http://www.ortussearch.com/
      I would like my center container to extend to the bottom of the page. I have a small background gif that I would like to tile for the center container and then use a solid color for the areas outside of the container. When I was on another site, they gave me the HTML code but I am not advanced enough to know how to use that.

At this time, I have used my background gif by clicking background on the "page properties" in the property inspector and it looks fine but it covers the entire page. Is there no way I can size this to about 700 pixels in width using the page properties?

Thanks for any help.
      DD
        • 1. Re: Help-New to Dreamweaver CS3 and CSS-background
          Level 7
          Use css for this.

In the head of your document:

<style type="text/css">

body {
          background-color: #whatevercoloryouwant;
          }

#wrapper {
          background-image: url(images/yourbackground.gif);
          background-repeat: repeat-y; /*or whatever your repeat is...*/
          width: 700px;
          }

</style>

See if that gives you what you're looking for.

Darieldd wrote:
          > I have struggled more with learning DW and style sheets than I ever
          > thought I would. So if you will be patient, I am going to try to ask one
          > question at a time until I can actually get something accomplished.
          >
          > First, I would like my website to have a centered container style. An example
          > of a website would be:
          > http://www.ortussearch.com/
          > I would like my center container to extend to the bottom of the page. I have a
          > small background gif that I would like to tile for the center container and
          > then use a solid color for the areas outside of the container. When I was on
          > another site, they gave me the HTML code but I am not advanced enough to know
          > how to use that.
          >
          > At this time, I have used my background gif by clicking background on the
          > "page properties" in the property inspector and it looks fine but it covers the
          > entire page. Is there no way I can size this to about 700 pixels in width using
          > the page properties?
          >
          > Thanks for any help.
          > DD
          >
          • 2. Re: Help-New to Dreamweaver CS3 and CSS-background
            Level 7
            I should mention that the css previously won't center the #wrapper on
            the page. If you want it centered, then you'll need to add this in the
            #wrapper definition:

margin: 0 auto;

In the <body> of your document, you'll begin like this:

<div id="wrapper">
            The other stuff goes here.
            </div>

It's advised to use additional divs or containers. So you might make
            your next container #content or #masthead or whatever else you may want.
            Play around with it and see what you get. These forums are a fantastic
            resource - you might want to also do some reading up on CSS and HTML
            here: http://www.w3schools.com/.

Darieldd wrote:
            > I have struggled more with learning DW and style sheets than I ever
            > thought I would. So if you will be patient, I am going to try to ask one
            > question at a time until I can actually get something accomplished.
            >
            > First, I would like my website to have a centered container style. An example
            > of a website would be:
            > http://www.ortussearch.com/
            > I would like my center container to extend to the bottom of the page. I have a
            > small background gif that I would like to tile for the center container and
            > then use a solid color for the areas outside of the container. When I was on
            > another site, they gave me the HTML code but I am not advanced enough to know
            > how to use that.
            >
            > At this time, I have used my background gif by clicking background on the
            > "page properties" in the property inspector and it looks fine but it covers the
            > entire page. Is there no way I can size this to about 700 pixels in width using
            > the page properties?
            >
            > Thanks for any help.
            > DD
            >