38 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2010 10:06 AM by kglad

Am i posting in the right section???????

swif mcvay Level 1

Just wondering if im posting this in the right section as No one seems to answer me, except saransoft(Thank you)

all I want to do is add a simple hyperlink in my xml

html hyperlink in my xml

Hi

Can anyone please advise on how to do a hyperlink in xml

This is what I do know,

you can add the <a href="http://www.google.com">click here</a>

but that does not work for me,
      when i save and preview my fla, it takes away my scroll bar that i have

I have also seen somwhere you can use the <?[[DATA tag, but this aswell doesnt work for me

in my FLA, is there somewhere i need to reference hyperlinks before I can modify my xml???

Please can someone help

Thanks

• 1. Re: Am i posting in the right section???????
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

show your xml file using the cdata tag and your actionscript that loads and parses your xml.

• 2. Re: Am i posting in the right section???????
            swif mcvay Level 1

Hi

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<sitetext>
                 <newslinks>
                  <newslink1title>CHIVA - SOM</newslink1title>
               <newslink1text>For a lasting sense of inner peace, contentment and fulfillment treat yourself to a stay in Chiva-Som International Health Resort in Thailand</newslink1text>
               <newslink2title>BANYAN TREE</newslink2title>
               <newslink2text>Be spellbound by an earthly rustic paradise brimming over with all the beauty and splendour that nature has to offer.</newslink2text>
               <newslink3title>FAR EAST</newslink3title>
               <newslink3text>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Phasellus ut diam quis quam commodo consequat.</newslink3text>
               <newslink4title>ISLANDS</newslink4title>
               <newslink4text>Choose from some of the most beautiful Islands in the world.</newslink4text>
               <newslink5title>Useful Links</newslink5title>
               <newslink5text>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Phasellus ut diam quis quam commodo consequat.</newslink5text>
              </newslinks>

<news>
                  <newsmaintitle>CHIVA - SOM
                    </newsmaintitle>
              <newsmaintext>
            For a lasting sense of inner peace, contentment and fulfillment treatyourself to a stay in Chiva-Som International Health Resort in Thailand.Chiva-Som, meaning Haven of Life, is a beautiful secluded world of its ownhidden within 7 acres of lush tropical gardens. With a real sense ofprivacy, luxury and exclusivity Chiva-Som takes a holistic approach to yourwellbeing, combining ancient eastern therapies with the latest Westerntechniques to encompass mind, body and spirit.
            Thailand’s most luxurious destination spa remains unique in its dedication to total wellness, asevidenced by its comprehensive and extensive services ranging from nurturingspa to high tech medical, and the world-class caliber of its practitionersand therapists. The Resort offers treatments for everyone from weight lossand stress reduction to total relaxation and pure pampering.

<url><![CDATA[<a href=" http://www.google.com">www.google.com</a>

</newsmaintext>

Flash code

function loadXML(loaded) {
            if (loaded) {
            _root.news1 = this.firstChild.childNodes[1].childNodes[0].firstChild.nodeValue;
            _root.news2 = this.firstChild.childNodes[1].childNodes[1].firstChild.nodeValue;
            _root.news3 = this.firstChild.childNodes[1].childNodes[2].firstChild.nodeValue;
            _root.news4 = this.firstChild.childNodes[1].childNodes[3].firstChild.nodeValue;
            _root.news5= this.firstChild.childNodes[1].childNodes[4].firstChild.nodeValue;
            _root.news6= this.firstChild.childNodes[1].childNodes[5].firstChild.nodeValue;
            _root.news7= this.firstChild.childNodes[1].childNodes[6].firstChild.nodeValue;
            _root.news8= this.firstChild.childNodes[1].childNodes[7].firstChild.nodeValue;
            _root.news9= this.firstChild.childNodes[1].childNodes[8].firstChild.nodeValue;
            _root.news10= this.firstChild.childNodes[1].childNodes[9].firstChild.nodeValue;

news1.titleanim.newstitle_txt.text = _root.news1;
            news1.main.newsmain_txt.text = _root.news2;
            news2.titleanim.newstitle_txt.text = _root.news3;
            news2.main.newsmain_txt.text = _root.news4;
            news3.titleanim.newstitle_txt.text = _root.news5;
            news3.main.newsmain_txt.text = _root.news6;
            news4.titleanim.newstitle_txt.text = _root.news7;
            news4.main.newsmain_txt.text = _root.news8;
            news5.titleanim.newstitle_txt.text = _root.news9;
            news5.main.newsmain_txt.text = _root.news10;

} else {
            trace("file not loaded!");
            }
            }
            xmlData = new XML();
            xmlData.ignoreWhite = true;
            xmlData.onLoad = loadXML;
            xmlData.load("text/news.xml");

Does that look right to you????

• 3. Re: Am i posting in the right section???????

no, that's not right because your xml is malformed.

i'm not sure just how many xml problems you have.  if that's all of your xml file, you have several problems.  if that's just an excerpt, you have, at least, one error:

<url><![CDATA[<a href=" http://www.google.com">www.google.com</a>

is malformed because your cdata tag isn't closed and your <url> tag isn't closed.  that should be:

<url><![CDATA[<a href=" http://www.google.com">www.google.com</a>]]></url>

• 4. Re: Am i posting in the right section???????
                swif mcvay Level 1

Hi

Its just part of my xml,

but at the bottom i do have the closing tags, ie </news> and </sitetext>

I just added the code you told me to, my scroll bar has come back, but still no hyperlink,

Question do you think i have to make my site live for it to appear, or should test movie work and display the link????

Thanks

• 5. Re: Am i posting in the right section???????

if you think your xml is no longer malformed, use the trace() to trace the cdata node value to ensure it's loaded into flash as you would expect.

• 6. Re: Am i posting in the right section???????
                    carl schooff Level 3

no, your site does not need to be live.

also is the <url> field something you came up with?

I don't see where that data is being applied in your actionscript.

• 7. Re: Am i posting in the right section???????
                      carl schooff Level 3

it seems to me that the <url> node isn't being directly referenced in your code. you could probably pull out the <url> </url> but before you get into that...

try changing this

news1.main.newsmain_txt.text = _root.news2;

to

news1.main.newsmain_txt.htmlText = _root.news2;

your textfield has to be html enabled in order for a link to work.

• 8. Re: Am i posting in the right section???????
                        swif mcvay Level 1

Hi

I have now added the code to look like this

still facing the initial problem where by there still is no link being displayed.

am i right in saying I dont need the <url> tag anymore

so If i just add this code to my xml doc

<![CDATA[<a href="http://www.google.com">www.google.com</a>]]>

It should work, or am i still missing something somwhere else???

Thanks

• 9. Re: Am i posting in the right section???????

read my last post.

• 10. Re: Am i posting in the right section???????
                            swif mcvay Level 1

Hi

Not sure how to Trace

is this right???

trace<![CDATA[<a href="http://www.google.com">www.google.com</a>]]>

Thanks

• 11. Re: Am i posting in the right section???????

no.  trace() is a flash function.

change your xml to the way you had it before you added trace() to your xml and change your actionscript to:

trace(_root.new2);

• 12. Re: Am i posting in the right section???????
                                swif mcvay Level 1

Ok I have put my xml back to

<![CDATA[<a href="http://www.google.com">www.google.com</a>]]>

and this is my flash code,

trace(_root.new2);

news2.main.newsmain_txt.htmlText = _root.news4;

I have tested the movie and it comes back with an undefined

thats all it says

• 13. Re: Am i posting in the right section???????

that means you're not parsing your xml correctly.  ie,

this.firstChild.childNodes[1].childNodes[1].firstChild.nodeValue;

is not what you think it should be.  it's not possible to tell you what code you should be using because we don't know the structure of your xml file.  but, you should be able to see what you're doing by using the trace() function.

so,try:

trace(this.firstChild);   // does that show what you expect.  if so, what about:

trace(this.firstChild.childNodes[1]);  // if that reveals what you expect, try:

trace(this.firstChild.childNodes[1].childNodes[1]);

// eventually you will find your error.  you will then need to correct it.

if you find the first place where you're running into an error and you don't know how to correct it, show the previous trace statement (that resulted in the expected output) and show the corresponding output.

• 14. Re: Am i posting in the right section???????
                                    swif mcvay Level 1

-----trace(this.firstChild);

error  - outputs my whole xml doc

-----trace(this.firstChild.childNodes[1]);

error outputs my whole xml doc

-----trace(this.firstChild.childNodes[1].childNodes[1]);

error

<newsmaintext>

For a lasting sense of inner peace, contentment and fulfillment treatyourself to a stay in Chiva-Som International Health Resort in Thailand.Chiva-Som, meaning Haven of Life, is a beautiful secluded world of its ownhidden within 7 acres of lush tropical gardens. With a real sense ofprivacy, luxury and exclusivity Chiva-Som takes a holistic approach to yourwellbeing, combining ancient eastern therapies with the latest Western techniques to encompass mind, body and spirit.

Thailand’s most luxurious destination spa remains unique in its dedication to total wellness, asevidenced by its comprehensive and extensive services ranging from nurturing spa to high tech medical, and the world-class caliber of its practitioners and therapists. The Resort offers treatments for everyone from weight loss and stress reduction to total relaxation and pure pampering.

&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.google.com">www.google.com</a></newsmaintext>

• 15. Re: Am i posting in the right section???????

where are your url tags?

• 16. Re: Am i posting in the right section???????
                                        swif mcvay Level 1

<url><![CDATA[<a href="

http://www.google.com">www.google.com</a>]]></url>

Ive added the url tags but still the same thing,

I've attched a zip file of my xml doc im using

Thanks

• 17. Re: Am i posting in the right section???????

now show the trace() output.

• 18. Re: Am i posting in the right section???????
                                            swif mcvay Level 1

This is the output using the following trace

trace(this.firstChild.childNodes[1]);

<news><newsmaintitle>CHIVA - SOM

</newsmaintitle><newsmaintext>

For a lasting sense of inner peace, contentment and fulfillment treatyourself to a stay in Chiva-Som International Health Resort in Thailand.Chiva-Som, meaning Haven of Life, is a beautiful secluded world of its ownhidden within 7 acres of lush tropical gardens. With a real sense ofprivacy, luxury and exclusivity Chiva-Som takes a holistic approach to yourwellbeing, combining ancient eastern therapies with the latest Western techniques to encompass mind, body and spirit.

Thailand’s most luxurious destination spa remains unique in its dedication to total wellness, asevidenced by its comprehensive and extensive services ranging from nurturing spa to high tech medical, and the world-class caliber of its practitioners and therapists. The Resort offers treatments for everyone from weight loss and stress reduction to total relaxation and pure pampering.

<url>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.google.com">www.google.com</a></url></newsmaintext><news1title>BANYAN TREE

</news1title><news1text>

Sun-kissed beaches of glistening sand, coconut groves and pristine azure waters make up this Pearl of the Andaman. Feast your senses on dramatic limestone karst formations and be awed by the magnificent oceanic reefs teeming with life. Encircling the sparking waters of a saltwater lagoon,Banyan Tree Phuket is an oasis of peace and tranquility located just a heartbeat away from the vibrant city centre.

Mistaken for the original &apos;Garden of Eden&apos; by English General Charles Gordon in 1881, the Seychelles archipelago is considered to be one of the unspoilt havens in the world. Home to two renowned UNESCO World Heritage Sites– the Vallée de Mai, a primeval rainforest home to the legendary Coco-de-Mer nut, and the Aldabra, the world’s largest raised coral atoll – Seychelles isa land where century-old giant tortoises roam freely on the islands, while rare species of flora and fauna such as the distinctive Cleoptera beetle and the majestic Takamaka trees make up the unique Seychellois landscape. Mahé is the largest of the 115 Seychelles islands and is home to the international airport and Victoria, the tiny capital of the tropical isle.

In a world rampant with technology, it is a rare pleasure to discover a place where Mother Nature reigns supreme. At Banyan Tree Seychelles, you will be spellbound by an earthly rustic paradise brimming over with all the beauty and splendour that nature has to offer.       

</news1text><news2title>FAR EAST

</news2title><news2text>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Phasellus ut diam quis quam commodo consequat. Nulla rhoncus felis ac dolor. Pellentesque molestie elementum purus. Vestibulum elementum purus eu neque. luctus sed, iaculis non, porttitor volutpat, justo. Aenean volutpat ligula et urna. Nunc et eros sed quam volutpat placerat. Aliquam erat volutpat.

Maecenas condimentum erat blandit leo. Ut ac felis eget tellus elementum sodales. Quisque vel massa ac nulla faucibus molestie. Phasellus placerat fringilla elit. Nunc eget turpis.Phasellus placerat fringilla elit. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Phasellus ut diam quis quam commodo consequat.

Nulla rhoncus felis ac dolor. Pellentesque molestie elementum purus. Vestibulum elementum purus eu neque. luctus sed, iaculis non, porttitor volutpat, justo. Aenean volutpat ligula et urna. Nunc et eros sed quam volutpat placerat. Aliquam erat volutpat.Nunc eget turpis.Phasellus placerat fringilla elit. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Phasellus ut diam quis quam commodo consequat.

Nulla rhoncus felis ac dolor. Pellentesque molestie elementum purus. Vestibulum elementum purus eu neque. luctus sed, iaculis non, porttitor volutpat, justo. Aenean volutpat ligula et urna. Nunc et eros sed quam volutpat placerat. Aliquam erat volutpat.Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Phasellus ut diam quis quam commodo consequat. Nulla rhoncus felis ac dolor. Pellentesque molestie elementum purus. Vestibulum elementum purus eu neque. luctus sed, iaculis non, porttitor volutpat, justo. Aenean volutpat ligula et urna. Nunc et eros sed quam volutpat placerat. Aliquam erat volutpat.

Maecenas condimentum erat blandit leo. Ut ac felis eget tellus elementum sodales. Quisque vel massa ac nulla faucibus molestie. Phasellus placerat fringilla elit. Nunc eget turpis.Phasellus placerat fringilla elit. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Phasellus ut diam quis quam commodo consequat.

Nulla rhoncus felis ac dolor. Pellentesque molestie elementum purus. Vestibulum elementum purus eu neque. luctus sed, iaculis non, porttitor volutpat, justo. Aenean volutpat ligula et urna. Nunc et eros sed quam volutpat placerat. Aliquam erat volutpat.Nunc eget turpis.Phasellus placerat fringilla elit. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Phasellus ut diam quis quam commodo consequat.

Nulla rhoncus felis ac dolor. Pellentesque molestie elementum purus. Vestibulum elementum purus eu neque. luctus sed, iaculis non, porttitor volutpat, justo. Aenean volutpat ligula et urna. Nunc et eros sed quam volutpat placerat. Aliquam erat volutpat.</news2text><news3title>ISLANDS

</news3title><news3text>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Phasellus ut diam quis quam commodo consequat. Nulla rhoncus felis ac dolor. Pellentesque molestie elementum purus. Vestibulum elementum purus eu neque. luctus sed, iaculis non, porttitor volutpat, justo. Aenean volutpat ligula et urna. Nunc et eros sed quam volutpat placerat. Aliquam erat volutpat.

Nulla rhoncus felis ac dolor. Pellentesque molestie elementum purus. Vestibulum elementum purus eu neque. luctus sed, iaculis non, porttitor volutpat, justo. Aenean volutpat ligula et urna. Nunc et eros sed quam volutpat placerat. Aliquam erat volutpat.Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Phasellus ut diam quis quam commodo consequat. Nulla rhoncus felis ac dolor. Pellentesque molestie elementum purus. Vestibulum elementum purus eu neque. luctus sed, iaculis non, porttitor volutpat, justo. Aenean volutpat ligula et urna. Nunc et eros sed quam volutpat placerat. Aliquam erat volutpat.

Nulla rhoncus felis ac dolor. Pellentesque molestie elementum purus. Vestibulum elementum purus eu neque. luctus sed, iaculis non, porttitor volutpat, justo. Aenean volutpat ligula et urna. Nunc et eros sed quam volutpat placerat. Aliquam erat volutpat.</news3text><news4title>Useful Links

</news4title><news4text>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Phasellus ut diam quis quam commodo consequat. Nulla rhoncus felis ac dolor. Pellentesque molestie elementum purus. Vestibulum elementum purus eu neque. luctus sed, iaculis non, porttitor volutpat, justo. Aenean volutpat ligula et urna. Nunc et eros sed quam volutpat placerat. Aliquam erat volutpat.

Nulla rhoncus felis ac dolor. Pellentesque molestie elementum purus. Vestibulum elementum purus eu neque. luctus sed, iaculis non, porttitor volutpat, justo. Aenean volutpat ligula et urna. Nunc et eros sed quam volutpat placerat. Aliquam erat volutpat.</news4text></news>

• 19. Re: Am i posting in the right section???????

use:

this.firstChild.childNodes[1].childNodes[1].firstChild.nextSibling.firstChild.nodeValue

• 20. Re: Am i posting in the right section???????
                                                swif mcvay Level 1

this is the error output

**Error** Symbol=Symbol 94, layer=xml, frame=1:Line 4: Syntax error.
                                                      this.firstChild.childNodes[1].childNodes[1].firstChild.nextSibling.firstChild.no deValue

Total ActionScript Errors: 1   Reported Errors: 1

This is where its pointing me to

and it looks like its the line of code you just asked to put in

if (loaded) {
                                                this.firstChild.childNodes[1].childNodes[1].firstChild.nextSibling.firstChild.no deValue

_root.news2 = this.firstChild.childNodes[1].childNodes[1].firstChild.nodeValue;

• 21. Re: Am i posting in the right section???????

remove the space between o and d.

• 22. Re: Am i posting in the right section???????
                                                    swif mcvay Level 1

Ok done that and no error output

• 23. Re: Am i posting in the right section???????

assign _root.news2 to be that value.

• 24. Re: Am i posting in the right section???????
                                                        swif mcvay Level 1

Sorry you have lost me on tha one, dont understand

• 25. Re: Am i posting in the right section???????

use:

if (loaded) {

_root.news2 =this.firstChild.childNodes[1].childNodes[1].firstChild.nextSibling.firstChild.nodeValue;

p.s.  your textfield should be html-enabled and you should assign its htmlText property, not text:

news1.main.newsmain_txt.html = true;

• 26. Re: Am i posting in the right section???????
                                                            swif mcvay Level 1

Ok check the attached image

• 27. Re: Am i posting in the right section???????

did you read the p.s. on my previous message?

• 28. Re: Am i posting in the right section???????
                                                                swif mcvay Level 1

Yeah I saw that

this is my code

Its now taken all the text away so I dont even have the error i had in the previous one with the text <a href> tag being displayed

• 29. Re: Am i posting in the right section???????

copy and paste the output from the following trace() functions:

trace(new1.main.newmain_txt);

trace(news1.main.newsmain_txt.htmlText);

• 30. Re: Am i posting in the right section???????
                                                                    swif mcvay Level 1

get this

undefined
                                                                    <TEXTFORMAT LEADING="2"><P ALIGN="LEFT"><FONT FACE="Verdana" SIZE="10" COLOR="#999999" LETTERSPACING="0" KERNING="0"><A HREF="http://www.google.com" TARGET="">www.google.com</A></FONT></P></TEXTFORMAT>

• 31. Re: Am i posting in the right section???????
                                                                      swif mcvay Level 1

Dont worry i get nothing

there was no s on the new

trace(new1.main.newmain_txt);
                                                                      trace(news1.main.newsmain_txt.htmlText);

Just added the s and it came back with no errors and still no text

• 32. Re: Am i posting in the right section???????
                                                                        swif mcvay Level 1

Hold on, thats weird,

I just went into my flash fla again and played the movie, and it came up with that error again, the one i sent before the last one i sent with the font and all that

_level0.page3_mc.instance107.newstext.news1.main.newsmain_txt
                                                                        <TEXTFORMAT LEADING="2"><P ALIGN="LEFT"><FONT FACE="Verdana" SIZE="10" COLOR="#999999" LETTERSPACING="0" KERNING="0"><A HREF="http://www.google.com" TARGET="">www.google.com</A></FONT></P></TEXTFORMAT>

• 33. Re: Am i posting in the right section???????

does your font need to be embedded (because your textfield is rotated or masked or alpha'd)?  is your font color different than your textfield's background color?

• 34. Re: Am i posting in the right section???????
                                                                            swif mcvay Level 1

Dont understand cause all my text in my xml is embedded, so with me adding

<url><![CDATA[<a href="http://www.google.com">www.google.com</a>]]></url>

in the same xml document, wouldnt that be embedded aswell?????

I havent specified any font or anything in that URL tag

Im off to bed now, I will check it out tomorrow again,

Thank you very much for all your help, bet you pulling your hair out on this one

Will let you know wat else I found out tomorrow

• 35. Re: Am i posting in the right section???????

unclick "B" (or bold) for your textfield and retest.

if that fails, enable your textfield's border and retest.  do you see the textfield's border?

• 36. Re: Am i posting in the right section???????
                                                                                swif mcvay Level 1

Morning,

Ok I've unclicked the b(Bold) I dont see a textfield border

Ive restested and I now get a few errors

_level0.page3_mc.instance115.newstext.news1.main.newsmain_txt
                                                                                _level0.page5_mc.instance193.newstext.news1.main.newsmain_txt
                                                                                _level0.page8_mc.instance543.newstext.news1.main.newsmain_txt
                                                                                _level0.page5_mc.instance704.newstext.news1.main.newsmain_txt

I still dont have any of xml text there or scroll bar,

BUT

the link is now there and works,

• 37. Re: Am i posting in the right section???????

when you unclicked bold, that allowed www.google.com to be displayed in your textfield and your link to work?  if yes, this thread is answered:  only bold font was embedded and your xml is not specifying bold font.

if you have other problems, start a new thread.

• 38. Re: Am i posting in the right section???????
                                                                                    swif mcvay Level 1

Ok i see that was right then, i did unclikc the bold option and it did display my link, thank you for that,

I will start a new thread

Thanks