11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2010 9:50 AM by the_wine_snob

PC project to Mac

JBrown321 Level 1

I work for a production company and we are probably going to switch over to all Mac based systems in a few months. What would be the best possible solution for migrating a pc version project from Premiere CS4 to a Mac?  I don't think that it's possible, but I just wnated to check and see waht workflow thoughts anyone may have.  We will be deactivating and migrating the software to Mac, so we wont have access to old projects. Any thoughts?

• 1. Re: PC project to Mac
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Congratulations. It must be nice to work for a company that has money to burn in these times. I hope you got a good raise as well.

Since money is not an issue here, hire an expensive consultant to help you through the transition phase. You will have success and the consultant a nice fee. That is a win-win situation.

• 2. Re: PC project to Mac
            JBrown321 Level 1

So it's possible or not possible?

• 3. Re: PC project to Mac
              Harm Millaard Level 7

I'm willing to take that assignment under the restrictions that PC has more effects/transitions than MAC, so these can not be transferred. If you supply me with a MAC with the proper configuration, I will try to get your projects transferred (no guarantees, effort only, at a daily rate of $$) to MAC. See your PM.

• 4. Re: PC project to Mac
                shooternz Level 6

Sorry that I am unable to answer your question but I have had experience of PPro on MAC and Windows system (simultaneously)

It was a bad (difficult) experience and I reverted to a single platform workflow ( Windows).  I would suspect that transferring the projects would be more trouble than it is worth in frustration, blood,sweat and tears.

I would suggest you keep at least one of your Windows systems operational if you are determined to go MAC.

As an aside I would love to hear about  why the decision to go MAC if you had the time to divulge the  reason.

• 5. Re: PC project to Mac
                  Bob Ramage Level 1

I moved from PC to Mac two years ago and have been very happy. CS4 works great on the Mac. Fast and stable. You should have no problem opening PPro projects created in Windows on the Mac (provided they were created in CS3 or CS4).

As Harm noted, there are a few transitions and effects from the Windows version not included in the Mac version. You might want to check this to make sure you won't lose something critical to your workflow. Also, you cannot open Encore projects created in one platform on the other. If you need old Encore projects, I suggest saving menus you've created as psd files so you can recreate the DVD project.

I would also check for Mac versions of any 3rd party plug-ins you use. A few are Windows-only.

• 6. Re: PC project to Mac
                    Curt Wrigley Level 4

Bob summed it up well.  I have also transfered several projects from PC to MAC with no problems.   Generally speaking; the effects that are PC only in Pr are not often used.

• 7. Re: PC project to Mac
                      shooternz Level 6

To Bob and Curt

How did you manage the transfer of your media from PC to Mac - eg avi to mov?

• 8. Re: PC project to Mac
                        JBrown321 Level 1

Thank you guys for all the help. So I should be able to open my old project files in Mac without having to do anything to the file intself?  That's pretty amazing. Macs are usually a bit pricy, but the stablity is very very nice.  Thanks again everyone.

• 9. Re: PC project to Mac
                          Bob Ramage Level 1

I only had one DV project, and was able to edit the AVI files on Pr Mac without difficulty. The rest of my projects were XDCAM EX native.

• 10. Re: PC project to Mac
                            Curt Wrigley Level 4

shooternz wrote:

To Bob and Curt

How did you manage the transfer of your media from PC to Mac - eg avi to mov?

I have done it both ways and both work fine.  Most mac folk dont know what an avi is, and will question if it will work, but it does.   Of course the rules apply for codecs; if we are talking a standard like DV AVI it will work fine.  If its something weird wrapped in an avi (like divx) then you play the same codec games you would between two PC's.

I suspect you will have more OS learning curve issues than Adobe issues.   Once you start the adobe app, you will feel at home.

• 11. Re: PC project to Mac
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Craig,

In my case, migrating a Mac Project to the PC, the Assets were varied. I had still images in JPEG (a few still in PSD), MOV (Animation CODEC), and many .AVI's (IIRC, these were a Mac flavor of DV-AVI Type II?). The entire Project was on a FAT-32 external, with all media Assets.

There were only a very few instances, where the Project files (had to add the proper PC extension) had any issues. These were a couple of apparently Mac-only Transitions, and some 3rd party Transitions. PrPro told me what was missing, where it was missing, and flagged these, so I could replace those with PC Transitions, or substitute for the 3rd party ones.

There were tons of Keyframing and many Effects, but all (except for those few Transitions) of these came in fine.

In my case, I just copied over everything from the Mac FAT-32 external to an NTSF formatted external, set its drive letter to match, and all worked fine.

Now, this was a Mac Pr 6.5 Project going into PrPr 2.0 on the PC, but it went almost 100% perfectly. Many said that it could never work, but it did, and worked very well. The Project was over 8 hours with many thousand Assets, including hundreds of Titles, that all came in perfectly.

Good luck,

Hunt