10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2010 8:35 PM by msill

screen static glitch @ 3:34:00

msill Level 1

does anyone know why upon rendering a clip there would be a half second vidieo glitch in the render?

it happens on all footage and after the glitch ... the sound continues but the image returns but as a still shot that is frozen on the screen.

The clip is only 3:42 long so the fact that this happens at the VERY end is frustrating.

I have NO idea what would cause this.

No other apps are running.

MacBook Pro

OSX 10.6.2 (fully updated) & 4gig of memory.

AfterEffects is updated as well.

Any thoughts anyone?

• 1. Re: screen static glitch @ 3:34:00
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

The clip is a compressed format and has damaged data structures, preventing frames to be decompressed and reconstructed from that point in time. Short of converting it externally/ exporting it differently from your source program I don't think there is anything you can do from inside AE...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: screen static glitch @ 3:34:00
            msill Level 1

Hmmm...

There are 17 clips in all and each are about 2.5 to 4 min in length.

Each clip freaks out at about 3:34ish when rendered.

I looked at the source file(s) and they seem to be just fine.

They play perfectly "before" I bring them into AE for titling.

It FEELS like a memory hang.

If you think it's the source ... would opening them up in QTime and doing a Save As to another file help?

I'm at a total loss as to what to do.

• 3. Re: screen static glitch @ 3:34:00

What is the source format of the clips? If it's based on an MPEG-derivative like AVCHD, you may have open GOPs at that time marker and AE does not conform the files beyond that point because in some sense they are incomplete. That would happen at the same time for clips of the same duration recorded with the same camera and settings, if it uses a certain GOP length. Of course it could just as well be memory problems, but that is a bit inconclusive. The error would be more arbitrary because it would be dictated by actual memory/ disk cache use, not the file. In any case, it never hurts to check your settings for cahes and purge, if necessary. I suspect something else, though. If not the Codec itself is the culprit, the way it's being decoded may be. AE uses hardware acceleration (your graphics card), and if it crams too many frames into the card's memory, it may not be able to fit in more after a time. It should flush the memory then, but because of bugs and errors in your driver or the card's configuration, it may not be able to. Therefore investigate these settings. Disable OpenGL or at least the Accelerate...Panels option in the prefs. similar things may happen, if you use specific third-party effects that also use OpenGL. If you can provide some more info about your system, we may be able to offer more advise...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: screen static glitch @ 3:34:00
                msill Level 1

Thanks Mylenium,

Sorry to say ... I only understand about a third of this.

I'll go in and make the suggested changes to the settings.

but to be honest (and this rant is more for me to feel better right now ... nothing to do with you).

This should not be this hard.

I just want to add a title to a movie and save.

NOTHING else is being done.

The software is pitched as easy and fun.

None of this is easy and I am not having fun right now.

I may have to give the project to someone else to complete.

or ... look at Final Cut. I'm sure that works fine with a Mac.

Thanks again.  

• 5. Re: screen static glitch @ 3:34:00
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

See if this info from Dave LaRonde helps:

Dave's Stock Answer #1

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

If you render/encode the footage you want to use in AE as a different format, you'll probably have a lot more success. Quicktime with the PNG codec (not PNG sequence) is a popular choice.

Also, I've never seen AE marketed as easy or fun. To be fair, it has made motion graphics and compositing a lot easier than it used to be. And I have tons of fun in the program, but there is a steep learning curve before that happens.

• 6. Re: screen static glitch @ 3:34:00
                    msill Level 1

sorry guys ... I was on a rant.

The client is furious and I've never had this issue with titling 4 minute video clips with no additional bells and whistles.

Seriously. I import the footage.

Change the title name and render.

The movies are shot on a Sony HandyCam and saved in .mov format.

They are imported in on a mac and never leave the mac.

They are 320 x 240 and like I said ..  there are no filters or even transitions being used.

Just footage and title.

I'm going to render the first 30 seconds of the movies using AE and then splice them together using Premier.

That is my only option right now.

This all seemed to go down hill after I upgraded to Snow with QT10.

I'm thinking about taking QT 10 out of the mix and going back to QT 7 since that worked without a hitch.

I also found that movie capture utility I was using "iShowU" installes "SoundFlower".

When I was sniffing around the AE Prefs I noticed it was selected in the sound output.

When I changed it to System Default it would instantly crash AE.

This happened several times ... so I uninstalled "SoundFlower" and now ... AE shows the system default as the default.

Thanks for you input.

I need to try to get these files done and then reinstall the application.

Like I said .. I had not issues at all until Snow came out.

I have no idea what went wrong ... but nothing is working on this.

- marc

• 7. Re: screen static glitch @ 3:34:00

I'm sorry to hear, but from what I read on forums, Snow Leopard seems to be a trying experience for many users. Unfortunately I can't offer any specific pointers, as I have avoided upgrading my Mac....

Mylenium

• 8. Re: screen static glitch @ 3:34:00
                        msill Level 1

Seems that this "glitch" is more than just footage.
                        I actually realized that I only need the first 30 seconds of the footage that I composite.
                        It contains the newly added movie title and interviewer and interviewee titles.
                        I can then bring that file into (are you sitting down?) iMovie and splice the newly composited clip with the remaining source movie.
                        It works beautifully.
                        Today I noticed that it's not just screen trash at 3:34 into the clip.
                        Now as the movie renders out ... it skips around to other clips in the project.
                        Clips that have NOTHING to do with the current render.
                        Now I'm REALLY confused.
                        This leads me to think it IS memory or a video ram issue?
                        As a clip is being rendered out ... it becomes an amalgamy of other clips in the projecs that aren't even in the current composition.
                        I have uninstalled and reinstalled the entire AE application, and I sent an email to Tech Support at Adobe (but now answer from them).
                        Hmmm
                        Anyway ....
                        Does anyone know why a render would jump around and pull in footage from other compositions?

THIS is really strange.  :|

• 9. Re: screen static glitch @ 3:34:00
                          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This isn't sounding anything like a memory problem. It sounds like a codec problem. Here's what I'd do. If the clips playback fine from iMovie I'd use I movie to render out to a lossless codec, bring that into AE and see what happens. Make sure that open GL is turned off and that you're not working with some kind of GOP compressed footage.

You could also check the footage in the QT player. Render out from there to a lossless codec. I think this will solve your problem.

If that fails, post a couple minutes of this footage and let me have a look. I've chased down weirder problems with AVCHD footage before.

• 10. Re: screen static glitch @ 3:34:00
                            msill Level 1

Great idea Rick.

I didn't think of that.

The footage that I get from iMovie is crystal clear and no issues.

It's just very Fisher Price feeling to work with. (no offense Apple).   ;D

I'll run some footage through iMovie then create a new project in AE and do some titling.

Run some clips out and see what happens.

I'll let you know what results I get.   ;D