5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2010 11:08 AM by gunny_78

Bit of a timelapse question

gunny_78

Been playing with Premiere Elements because I want to help a family member out,

but can't get it working the way I want to...

We need to make a time lapse movie.

After setting up our scene, we've taken about 600 pictures.

I've resized all of them and imported into PE.

The problem I'm facing is that the time PE assigns to each picture is waaaay too long for our use.

We've shot for about 10 pictures per second, so I would need to change the time for every picture.

I can of course do this manually, but seeing as there are 600 pictures in this movie,

that would take just a bit too long ;o)

I'm sure there's a simple way to do this inside PE (selecting multiple pictures and changing the time properties or something along the lines),

but I've yet to figure it out...

Could any offer a hand???

Many thanks!

• 1. Re: Bit of a timelapse question
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The method of establishing the Duration of Imported still images is to go to Edit>Preferences>General and set the still Duration, before you Import them. This setting will be in Frames. For general Timelapse, I like ~ 3 fps, but your subject matter might dictate something a bit different. Once you have set this, you then Import the stills. You can still modify select stills, should you need more, or less, but I'd shoot for something that works 99% of the time, to keep the hand-work to a minimum. If you have Imported them already, just Delete those, set your Preferences and re-Import.

Now, as to the issue of long file names, I'm not sure what you are encountered, as PrE will Import per the file names that you assign. Personally, I do my resizing to my Project settings in PS, and then do an Action and use Batch Automation w/ that Action. I'll choose my Source Folder and then my Destination Folder, and use PS to also rename, as I see fit. I'm not sure of what the limitations might be with PSElements vs PS.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Bit of a timelapse question
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You could also use the Create Slideshow tool and set each slide to run, say, 1 frame so that your photos go by 30 per second, if you'd like.

To use the Create Slideshow tool, select your assets (your photos) in the Project media panel, right-click and select Create Slideshow -- then just set the timing, etc., as you'd like.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Bit of a timelapse question
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Ah, that's a good way to handle it. Maybe if I would finish my Steve Grisetti book, and learn of Create SlideShow (does not exist in PrPro), I'd have thought of that too!

Thanks,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Bit of a timelapse question
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, that goes without saying, Hunt.

• 5. Re: Bit of a timelapse question
                  gunny_78 Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply Bill and Steve.

When I get back home I'll give your suggestions a try.

Regarding the resizing: I think you misunderstood.

All I did was to resize the picture, not the name.

I felt there was little to gain from importing 600 pictures that were shot with a 6Mp camera,

so I just resized all of them to around half of the original resolution.

Saves a lot in resources as well

So no issues what so ever what long names and such.

I'll let you know how it turned out!

Edit: worked like a charm! Thanks for the help