2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2008 4:42 AM by CaioToOn!

Challenge on illegal distribution blockage

CaioToOn! Level 3
      Hi, everybody.

This post is about a very discussed theme: protecting yor app from copyright violations.

I have a problem with my client distribution model. It's about delivering an app that is paid montlhy. The user creates a username, pay and is allowed to use the app for a month.

The service is based on providing credit informations to a broad business community. So as users can search private databases for a month.

I don't want to suggest my client to charge users by each search. We understand that the better distribution model is already been practiced for a long time, and change this model is not on our plans.

Once we're developing an easy-to-download-and-install Adobe AIR software, the problem is to avoid that users can start sharing the same username and password, paying just one license for undetermined ammount of users.

As I said, one of the options is to charge on each search, what could mean a failure for my client business.

So guys, any suggestions?

Regards,
      CaioToOn!
        • 1. Re: Challenge on illegal distribution blockage
          Joe ... Ward Level 4
          You could implement a subscription service for an AIR application the same as you would for a web application. I.e. when the user access your search service, you validate that their account is up-to-date. Just because AIR is easily downloaded and installed doesn't change this aspect of the problem, especially since it sounds like your users must be online to use your service anyway.

Preventing multiple users from using the same account is also much the same problem as with a web application in this instance. A server-side approach might work for this too. If too many requests are made by the same account from multiple IPs at the same time, then you have reason to suspect that the terms of your subscription are being violated.

There are ways to uniquely identify an instance of an AIR application that could help you control access (e.g. by generating random token on first use). But if your users typically search from multiple computers, then it might be inconvenient for them to be locked down to a single instance. If you chose this route, you could, of course, allow the subscriber to "authorize" a limited number of application instances as a way to balance respect for your license with the convenience of your customers.
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Challenge on illegal distribution blockage
            CaioToOn! Level 3
            Thank you, Joe.

The idea of uniquely identifying an installation is very interesting. I could track down the account history and this way point out an audience.

How could I identify the installation?

CaioToOn!