1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 13, 2010 12:27 AM by Mylenium

Turn SWF into a link?

TheUrb

Dear, dear people with knowledge,

Please, this is driving me crazy. How do I turn my SWF into a link? The swf is an ad, and I simply want it to act like a basic jpg/gif-picure -- you click on it, and that get's you to another site/url. How hard can it be? It seems like the most basic problem ever. Linking -- isn't that what the whole web is all about, after all? But I've been stucked with this problem for six hours now...

I understand I have to embed the link in the actual swf, rather then do the linking part in the html-document. But HOW?

I do have Flash CS4. But if there's a way to solve my problem in After Effects without using Flash or any other extra program I will prefer that. If not, any solution at all would be appreciated, even if it include Flash CS4!

I have found this, but I can't get it to work:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103a4f2dff7-79caa.htm l

I have tried to copy-paste Action Scripts (in Flash CS4) I've found on the web but nothing will do the trick for me.

I'm a graphic designer and I really don't know ANYTHING about programming, script and such. My experience of computer programming starts and ends with...

10 print "my name"

20 goto 10

...at Commadore 64 in 1984.

So if I have to use a script, please describe IN DETAIL how I make them, where I have to put it, how I save the file, etc. Do I need to install anything on the server/ask the webhotel to act? Tell me!

• 1. Re: Turn SWF into a link?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What is it that you want to do? On a web page, neither images nor SWFs are links by themselves. They are merely placeholders for the hit area. The actual link is specified by the HTML or JavaScript code around it. The rest is of no consequence - AE is not Flash and you simply cannot specify links that depend on user interaction. The marker method described in the help is all you can achieve...

Mylenium