7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2010 4:56 PM by the_wine_snob

Replacing a 300 MB mpeg clip with only it's relevant stills

Intercostal Level 1

I have a 300 MB mpeg clip from which I only need 9 frames. I don't need any of the sound. For system resources sake, does it make sense to render just those 9 frames as stills, import them into the timeline, and delete the 300 MB mpeg from the project?

Or is it all the same to Premiere? I'd think the roughly 60 MB of tiffs would be less for Premiere to work with than the 300 MB mpeg.

But maybe 60 MB of numered tifs takes just as much memory,etc... as a single 300 MB mpeg? 

• 1. Re: Replacing a 300 MB mpeg clip with only it's relevant stills
          shooternz Level 6

Makes sense to me.

Dont erase the original clip fromThe HD unless you are sure you dont need it again or desparately need the space.

By the way. The original clip is not actually in the project.  The project only refrences it.

• 2. Re: Replacing a 300 MB mpeg clip with only it's relevant stills
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I'm with Craig on this one. I'd hold onto that AV Asset, in case it is ever needed again - say you decide that you really need 10 stills, instead of the original 9.

Once you have Exported those stills, you can Delete the reference to the AV file from the Project Panel (doesn't touch the actual file on the HDD), to keep things clean and lean. Though I always have a Bin for "Stills," I'd remove the AV from the Project, in the name of good housekeeping. It is also one less link in the Project file.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Replacing a 300 MB mpeg clip with only it's relevant stills
              Intercostal Level 1

Thanks, Shooternz and Bill.

I'm only removing the mpeg from the project panel/bin area. I'll still have it on the harddrive.

I was trying to rule out whether or not a small series of stills in the form of a numbered sequence taxes the system as much as a single mpeg file, even if the mpeg is a bigger MB size. The idea being that the program has to access 9(or whatever still #) files instead of 1(the mpeg). Even though the numbered still sequence is 1 file it still has to access the 9 stills.

• 4. Re: Replacing a 300 MB mpeg clip with only it's relevant stills
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I wish that I had a definitive answer for you on this. As the Project file is but an XML database of instructions and links, I do not think that it will matter. If anything, one would have 8 more links in your example. Still, tracking down the CFA, the PEK and any other necessary files for the AV would probably offset things, and maybe even take more time. Unfortunately, I just do not know. Maybe others have a better handle on the mechanics and the + and -'s of either way.

Still, I'd do just as you are doing, though some could well just be for cosmetics in my Project Panel?

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Replacing a 300 MB mpeg clip with only it's relevant stills
                  Intercostal Level 1

Thanks, Bill. The projects I'm working on, which will constitute an 18 minute film, have been made much more manageable through the answers on this forum.

Ultimately, I'll probably have to purchase a workstation to render to DVD an HD project.

• 6. Re: Replacing a 300 MB mpeg clip with only it's relevant stills
                    shooternz Level 6

I would believe it is more taxing on a system  in the particular instance you describe.

Basically the system has to search and find the frames within the entire source clip after it has found the source clip on whichever HD it resides.

Referencing the unique files must be less demanding.

• 7. Re: Replacing a 300 MB mpeg clip with only it's relevant stills
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Craig,

That is my thinking as well. I've weighed the possibilities, trying to come up with the +'s/-'s of each. Now, I am anything but an XML expert, and do not know what really goes on "under the hood" with PrPro, so I might have missed something. Maybe one of the "experts," like Dennis, can chime in and give the definitive answer.

I would still tend to go with the stills extracted from the AV, and hope that I was correct. I cannot recall doing this on any Project, as I tend to use my Exported stills for Menus and Menu Button Transitions in Encore. I've just never experimented to see if there is some difference.

Hunt