5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2010 3:12 PM by DharmaInitiative

Check for Updates unavailable with User Rights

brakmat

Hello,

WindowsXP SP3 machines

Adobe Reader 9.1

Help->Check for Updates is unavailable when logged in as a user with User Rights.

How can I make this available for my User Rights users?

I have them on User Rights to prevent Trojans and Spyware, not to prevent needed updates.

Any Help would be appreciated,

Matthew

• 1. Re: Check for Updates unavailable with User Rights
          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Updating software requires administrative rights. What purpose is served by allowing a non-administrative user to check for updates.

• 2. Re: Check for Updates unavailable with User Rights
            brakmat Level 1

It keeps me from having to build an update package and send it out.

I don't see the issue with allowing a person with user rights the ability to update Adobe Reader

• 3. Re: Check for Updates unavailable with User Rights
              kashifMohd Level 2

Simply download the 9.3 version from adobe's site. But to install it you will need adnministrative privileges.

• 4. Re: Check for Updates unavailable with User Rights
                facuit

FWIW I came here wondering the same thing.  There are all these critical updates to Adobe Reader, yet my domain users cannot install them.  Doesn't really make a lot of sense.  LOL @ the responses ITT - can anyone offer an explanation as to why admin rights are needed to install updates?

• 5. Re: Check for Updates unavailable with User Rights
                  DharmaInitiative

Actually, software that complies with Microsofts ISV guidelines DOES NOT require Admin to install.  The only reason it needs Admin is if it touches system files or tries to install drivers etc.  So why does a simple file viewer like Reader need admin??  Usually because the ISV (Adobe) it to lazy or inept to fix their software.  This is not a new requirement from Microsoft.  This was announced pre-Vista so the ISV would have time to update their installers to become compliant.  This is also the reason why Vista and Win7 have the local Admin account disabled by default and why a user will default to User privledges.  Non-Admin (ie. User) access is common, recommended (by MS) and often required (Gov., Military, civilian contractors, anyone with brains...).

So, why can't Adobe get off their ***** and fix this issue????  Don't know, but it has become a major Pain-In-the-*** given the recent Java / Trust Manager (authplay.dll) exploits.  We need to view PDF's but as a  gov. sub-contractor, we are getting directives / pressure to not run as Admin.