12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2010 10:53 AM by Jacob Bugge

can't snap to guides

Alan Sargent Level 1

In Illustrator 10, I make guides by dragging from the ruler.

But I can't snap objects to them.

I can't see any preference governing this, and under the View menu is "hide/lock/create/release/clear" only. Nothing about turning it on or off.

I'm sure I've missed something: how do I do this?

• 1. Re: can't snap to guides
          Eddie Ostrowski Level 1

Alan, try this... View > Snap to Point

Eddie

• 2. Re: can't snap to guides
            Alan Sargent Level 1

"Alan, try this... View > Snap to Point"

Thanks, but that doesn't make any difference.

Are you sure that is also controls Guides?

• 3. Re: can't snap to guides
              Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Alan,

Any object should snap to any Guide when within 2pt distance, regardless of settings.

If not,  it may be time to Ctrl+Alt+Shift/Cmd+Option+Shift during startup, or to Move the folder

• 4. Re: can't snap to guides
                Alan Sargent Level 1

I deleted the preferences file ("Aiprefs") -- saw some things change back to defaults, so I know that was the right file. But still no snap to guides. Also tried Ctrl+Alt+Shift on starting, but no good there either. Did a reboot for good measure, no joy.

I CAN however "snap to grid" with that set in the view, in case you were thinking I don't recognise a "snap".

No idea what "snap to point" means, has no obvious effect either way.

• 5. Re: can't snap to guides

Alan,

This is a strange case, because obviously it should work, regardless of snapping settings; hence the preferences suggestion.

Still pondering.

• 6. Re: can't snap to guides
                    Alan Sargent Level 1

I did some Googling (as searching with Adobe's interface gave nothing).

Found several threads, such as, from 2004,

http://groups.google.com/group/adobe.illustrator.windows/browse_frm/thread/d894948487a69fa 5/f1d5a8092539414e

However, snapping in Illustrator in general, whether to guides, anchor points, or grids, doesn't work quite the way many people used to other programs expect. Across the board, it doesn't snap objects, it snaps the cursor.

So the key point to remember is that if you want a particular anchor point or edge to end up on the guide, you have to mouse down on that anchor point or edge, with Snap to Point on, and then drag onto the guide.

With that "explanation" telling me that there is no solution (what the hell does "snap the cursor" mean???)  I gave up and so I'll do it by eye and use the Transform palette to type in exact coordinates.

I assume this has changed in later versions, since it really is very counterintuitive.But I'm stuck with v10 for the foreseeable future.

• 7. Re: can't snap to guides
                      Junk Mailer Level 3

My solution when I need precision of this kind is to select my object, switch to the direct select tool, and with Smart Guides (CMD+U) turned on, grab a point (make sure all points in the object are selected) that should "snap" to the guide and drag it over until I see the "on" indicator. This gives me exact position relative to the guide without typing any coordinates, etc. for location on page.

-JM

• 8. Re: can't snap to guides
                        Junk Mailer Level 3

Also, you can adjust the snapping tolerance for Smart Guides in your preference menu. Mine is set at 4pt.

-JM

• 9. Re: can't snap to guides

Alan,

I assume this has changed in later versions, since it really is very counterintuitive.But I'm stuck with v10 for the foreseeable future.

I am afraid the change is moderate, http://forums.adobe.com/thread/552962?tstart=0

• 10. Re: can't snap to guides
                            Alan Sargent Level 1

OK, so JM's solution seems to be the best work-around; I can actually align a box with a guideline, a not overly complex requirement that seems impossible otherwise.

Though the direct select tool is a bit dangerous for complex objects.

Junk Mailer wrote:

My solution when I need precision of this kind is to select my object, switch to the direct select tool, and with Smart Guides (CMD+U) turned on, grab a point (make sure all points in the object are selected) that should "snap" to the guide and drag it over until I see the "on" indicator. This gives me exact position relative to the guide without typing any coordinates, etc. for location on page.

-JM

Thanks.

• 11. Re: can't snap to guides
                              Junk Mailer Level 3

I'm glad this helped.

The best way to make sure you've got all the nodes selected is to first

use the regular Selection Tool to select your object and then switch to

the Direct Selection Tool with the object still active. You'll see that

all nodes are active. Just be careful not to click off of this object or

you'll lose the selection. You have to click and hold on the first try and

then drag to the desired position.

-JM

• 12. Re: can't snap to guides

Alan,

Though the direct select tool is a bit dangerous for complex objects.

Not necessarily: you may use the Direct Selection Tool to pick the object and then make sure it is properly selected by ticking the corresponding (double) ring in the Layers palette; you can find it by the coloured square.

You may check this in the following way: If you select just one Anchor Point (so it appears solid, and the others appear hollow) and tick the ring, you can see the selection complete (all Anchor Poiunts appearing solid).

Edit: This also works for objects within Groups where the Selection Tool is not funny to use; and for unfilled paths (Direct Selecting filled paths by the fill should select the whole object.