3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2010 10:57 AM by the_wine_snob

Severe error while trying to render a slide show on PRE 3.0

perjonas1

I created a slide show using PSE 8 and then transferred it to PRE 8 to burn a DVD .. for the most part PRE 8 just stared at me until it crashed. So I decided to go back to the last version of PRE that I know worked in the past .. I recreated the slide show (PSE 5) and transfered to PRE 3.0 ... PRE 3.0 has worked for me in the past  but with much smaller slide shows then one I am now working on (apprx 200+ slides .. 21 minutes run time). Initially I got warnings about virtual memory running short (then would shut down shortly after) .. fixed that by upping VM size (min 2045, max 4090) .. now I am getting warning on physical memory and shortly after a severe error message (assume it finanlly runs out of physical memory?). I am running Windows XP, Pentium 4 Processor with 2GB of RAM ...  I would think that this system/PRE should be able to do this .. especially knowing in conversation with a friend who has a similarly configured system that WnSoft PicturesToExe rendered a slide show of similar size .. any thoughts or am I just out of luck!

• 1. Re: Severe error while trying to render a slide show on PRE 3.0
          the_wine_snob Level 9

What are the pixel x pixel dimensions of the stills? Overly large stills can crash PrE quickly, even on the most robust computers.

Also, with video, one can only display say 720 x 480 pixels for a DV Project. Having more pixels will cause two things: a major load on the computer to handle them and resize them to the necessary dimensions, and the quality of the images in the video will suffer. Resizing in PSE is a much better workflow. This ARTICLE will give you some tips.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Severe error while trying to render a slide show on PRE 3.0
            perjonas1 Level 1

Clearly my problem ..thanks much for that!!! ... one quick question if I may ... If iI resize my prints and write thme back to same folder that I loaded (replacing the originals) the images from to create the slide show .. will that work or will I have to recreate the slideshow from scratch with the resized pix's ...? ..thanks much

• 3. Re: Severe error while trying to render a slide show on PRE 3.0
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              If iI resize my prints and write thme back to same folder that I loaded (replacing the originals) the images from to create the slide show .

That is a good question, and has come up before. My theory is that if the files are replaced with resized files with the exact same names, located in the exact same folder, this should work fine. I have yet to try it, so it's just my theory.

My workflow would be to do a Save_As for the Project (keeps your original Project intact, in case something goes off), close down PrE, and then to Move those Assets to another folder (both for safety, and then to use for the resizing, unless higher-rez versions were available for the resizing), set up my Action to do the resizing, choose that "safety" folder as my Source Folder, and the original (now empty) folder as my Destination folder. I would make sure that I did NOT change the file names, just the sizes, and location. When done, I'd launch PrE, allow it time to check the links in the PREL file (the Project file), and test that the new sizes are recognized.

I've done that with smaller Projects in PrPro, and it has worked fine in those tests. I have just never put PrE though its paces, to make sure that all is perfect.

Good luck,

Hunt