10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2010 3:02 PM by the_wine_snob

commiting/applying/flattening effects

davimusprime

I'm wondering how/if I commit/apply/flatten the effects in Premiere Pro CS4. I'm using the auto color effect and it looks wonderful but if I crop or scale the video it continues to auto color and ends up looking awful when I get my layered video the size I want it.

The auto effects also cause a jitter to lower levels of my video when I place something on top of them.

I want to instead of having an effect on a video flatten the effect into the video. does that make sense? I don't know what to call it. I'd also really like to not have to export anything but that's probably what I have to do, isn't it?

• 2. Re: commiting/applying/flattening effects
          Stanley Arthur Level 3

There is no flattening in video editing. Don't think of effects as if they were layers in Photoshop. If you are really committed to an effect, then the only way to do what you're asking is to export the clip to a new file. you can try nesting the effected clip into a new sequence and applying another effect, but I suspect that you'll have the same issue.

• 3. Re: commiting/applying/flattening effects
            the_wine_snob Level 9

A couple of observations:

The "Auto" Effects in PrPro are so very limited to begin with. All too often, with even the slightest change in exposure, color balance, etc., one will get pulsing of the Effect. I have never found a use for any of those (unlike a very few uses for some Auto corrections in PS)

Also, the order of the application of some Effects can have a major impact on the result. Just moving one Effect up, or down, the order can result in significant differences in the resultant footage. For me, I usually apply Levels (not Auto Levels), then Shadow & Highlight (unchecking the Auto box and doing the adjustment by hand), then Fast Color Corrector, or similar. I start in that order, and adjust/readjust to get what I want. If things are not going per my intent, I will juxtapose the order of Levels and Shadow & Highlight, usually leaving Fast Color Corrector at the bottom of the list (last).

In your case, I would try the other Effects first, and then apply Levels (not Auto Levels), and observe the results.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 4. Re: commiting/applying/flattening effects
              davimusprime Level 1

That was quite helpful, Mr. Hunt. However, as I feared I didn't explain it well enough. I should have said layers instead of levels.

I have a video of a person talking on the first video layer then I have a scaled down picture to the right of the person (news anchor style). The auto color effect is applied to the first layer. Whenever the picture fades in on the second layer the first layer flashes until it disappears. How can I go about "flattening" (took the name from what ones does in photoshop to commit effects to the layer) the effect so it isn't constantly trying to re-color correct?

• 5. Re: commiting/applying/flattening effects
                davimusprime Level 1

dang it. that's what I was afraid of.

Thanks, Mr Arthur.

• 6. Re: commiting/applying/flattening effects
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

The "Layers" that you refer to are the Video Tracks. Unlike Layers in Photoshop, though they do rather look alike, there is no Flattening, as per Stanley's comment.

The Video Tracks are normally kept separate for most purposes, and then they are "combined," when one Exports. This is similar to what Flattening (or the variations of Merge Layers) does in PS.

Now, one can do a couple of things, to allow for the Video Tracks to be seen/used as one:

One could Export the Video (perhaps using the WAB, Work Area Bar, to just include what is desired), and then Import that resultant file into the Project. That will result in the "Flattening."

Or, one could Nest that Sequence into another, to allow for Effects to be applied to the Nested Sequence. This might be better for what I think you are doing. There are many uses for Nested Sequences, and some unique considerations. The Help file will give you all of the necessary steps, plus point out those considerations, plus will offer uses for Nested Sequences.

I'd look closely at Nested Sequences, and try to use that method, knowing that you still have the first method to fall back onto.

Hope that helps, and good luck. Let us know which route you decide to go, and do not hesitate to ask any questions on Nested Sequences. In general, there are too many details to list, but specific questions will be easy to answer.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 7. Re: commiting/applying/flattening effects
                    davimusprime Level 1

I ended up right clicking on the clip in track 1 (thanks for the lingo tip, Hunt) and did replace with After Effects Composition. The auto color effect was applied to the clip in AE in the same way it was in PP so I rendered it. Saved it. Then, jumped back to PP. Clip is pink now instead of blue green-ish to let me know it's AE I believe. Rendered PP and it works like a champ.

Thanks for the help.

• 8. Re: commiting/applying/flattening effects
                      davimusprime Level 1

On another note replacing a nested clip as an AE Comp does not work well. This particular clip was nested before getting on here. I used it to make several layers fade out together.

This nesting is flattened and all effects are applied to the flattened track.

• 9. Re: commiting/applying/flattening effects
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news!

Yes, the lingo can be a tripping point. I spend a lot of time in PS, so have to "adjust" my terms, when I'm here. Same thing happened, when I moved from cinema to video - some things have different names. Many people here have had to suffer for years, because video is not my native language.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: commiting/applying/flattening effects
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Thanks for reporting that. Yes, Nesting could be likened to Flattening in some respects.

I also did not realize that you were working with an AE Comp, and that it had come from a Nested Sequence. Forget all that stuff that I wrote about reading about Nested Sequences - you already know that.

Good luck,

Hunt