8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2010 6:12 AM by mkinzlma1

PE Hangs during peak file generation

mkinzlma1

I have experienced numerous hangs when PE8 trys to generate peak files for AVI files captured with WMM and Corel Video Studio X2 Pro.

I have seen the problem occur on various size AVI files from 1M to 9G. In all cases the audio is erratic ( soft and loud sounds usually at the end of the clip when the camera recording is terminated ) when playing it in WMP.

I took took the problematic AVI's and then used WMM or dvdate to "Save as AVI" file and then imported back into PE8 and the peak files were then genrated without issue.

Seems to me that this problem has existed in several PE releases. I wonder why the peak file generation routine does not either timeout after sometime or give the user the ability to cancel the operation and return control back to PE when these problematic files are encounter. It is annoying to have to kill PE from task manager when this occurs. Has anyone found a way to kill the peak file generation when this problem occurs without having to kill PE ?

Thanks

Mike

• 1. Re: PE Hangs during peak file generation
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

Let's go back to the AVI files that are generated by WMM and Corel Studio. Can you download the free utility, G-Spot, and run one of those AVI files through it? It will probably be easiest to do a screen-cap of the G-Spot screen, showing all of the info that it provides. Hint: you can use the little "camera" icon on the editing screen's Toolbar (lower-middle), to attach a JPEG of G-Spot. I'd also recommend keeping the JPEG compression pretty low, so that the details can be easily read.

That info will give us somewhere to start.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: PE Hangs during peak file generation
            the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE will give you more background on AVI (and MPEG, MOV, WMV, etc.) files and what can be contained within their "wrappers," plus will show some of the useful areas in the G-Spot screen.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: PE Hangs during peak file generation
              mkinzlma1 Level 1

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunatley after fixing the files so that they would work with PE I deleted the originals so as to not mistakenly open them again in PE and have the hang occur.

If I encounter this problem again I will use gspot to get the info you requested.

thanks

Mike

• 4. Re: PE Hangs during peak file generation
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

I understand. I've grabbed a file from the wrong folder in hast, and usually regretted having done so.

If you use the original workflow, do test one of the resultant files in G-Spot, and let us know the specs. My guess is that something there is not the best option. It might be as simple as changing something along the way, or perhaps different programs. The former is the most likely scenario.

At least you have a workaround, but I personally like to keep the steps to as few, as I can get by with. Even with automation and batch processing, the fewer steps I can use, the greater the likelihood that I will not introduce some other problem into the process. I've tried to troubleshoot workflows, where there were maybe a dozen programs and steps involved, and it gets very difficult, trying to find out where a problem was introduced. For me, simple is better, when I can get the necessary results.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: PE Hangs during peak file generation
                  mkinzlma1 Level 1

Bill,

I think I have the original tape with the footage that caused the problem in one of my AVI files.

Let me re-import with WMM and see if I can reproduce the problem.

I will then run it through gspot.

One thing I do recall is that I did import the files to WMM and Corel Video Studio over USB2.0, not sure that should matter though.

Mike

• 6. Re: PE Hangs during peak file generation
                    mkinzlma1 Level 1

Hi Bill,

I have attached screen captures of gspot with AVI's captured with WMM and corel, look like they both import as type I avi'sgspot_corel_video_pro_capture.JPG.

gspot_WMM_capture2.JPG

I have not had a chance to recreate the problem I originally saw, it will probably have to wait till the weekend when I have time to re-import the footage from the camera.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

• 7. Re: PE Hangs during peak file generation
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

Thanks for running the files through G-Spot. DV-AVI Type I files usually do not cause any problems, with the exception of an occasional OOS (Out Of Sync) issue. They are limited in size, but that is seldom an issue. PrE, and PrPro, usually handle them without incident.

I did not see anything that jumped out at me from the G-Spot screens.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] Oops, the unneeded bytes at the end of the file are a red flag. Had not noticed that earlier.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added [Edit]

• 8. Re: PE Hangs during peak file generation
                        mkinzlma1 Level 1

Thanks Bill for looking the screens over.

Hopefully I can recreate the files that caused the peak file generation to hang.

When I do I will run them through gspot and post the results.

Mike