1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 13, 2010 10:56 PM by Mylenium

importing and reloading .psd files/disk defragmentation

cowboymustache

I often go back and forth between photoshop and after effects, reloading the file in after effects after I make changes in photoshop. Usually I do this with files that were imported from photoshop as footage. Last night I was working on a file that I had imported as a composition but had copied the 3 individual layers into my main assembly timeline. I went back to the original .psd file, altered one of the three layers by adding in a few more photos, collapsed it, renamed the collapsed layer the same thing that it was when I originally imported the composition into photoshop and saved. I then went back into after effects, selected just the name of the layer the I adjusted and reloaded. Instantly after effects started running bad, bogging down, taking forever to load even a frame in quarter resolution. I eventually re-imported this file as seperate footage, but after effects is still bogging down. I was going to replace the other two files in the original composition I imported, but they have very complicated positions in z space and are a pain to put back in, the anchor points weren't lining up when I tried to copy the transform properties of the layers from the original composition. Any idea what happened? some sort of disk deframentation? I never did reload the other two files from the original composition. Will see if that does anything when I get back in front of the computer.

• 1. Re: importing and reloading .psd files/disk defragmentation
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I was going to replace the other two files in the original composition I imported, but they have very complicated positions in z space and are a pain to put back in, the anchor points weren't lining up when I tried to copy the transform properties of the layers from the original composition.

Why that? You can avoid it all by simply Alt+dragging items from the project panel onto the timeline to replace them. this wil lleave all properties in place. the rest is unclear, but "just added a few more photos" sounds suspicious. in doing so, you may simply have extended the layer dimensions to a degree that your system can't handle it anymore. Since you speak of using 3D, you may also wish to check your OpenGL usage.

Mylenium