3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2010 5:16 PM by sandy_mc

Camera profiles in DNG from camera (Leica S2, M8)

mikschel

Hi all,

I´m reviewing captures from the Leica S2, which is saving Raw in the DNG format after capture. There is only one camera profile in the DNG files ("embedded"). Compared to a JPEG (mode DNG+JPG for capture) of the same shot the color rendering with the embedded profile is more saturated and slightly shifted in the hues. Greens get an ugly plastic look.

I have captures with Leica M8, too. They have more camera profiles: Embedded, Adobe Standard, Camera Standard and ACR legacy (3.6, 4.4).

As I understand Leica M8 DNGs are supported by Adobe with camera specific camera profiles while Leica S2 DNGs are NOT supported by Adobe with specific camera profiles.

Please can someone clarify this?

Second question: Is the Leica S2 embedded profile a camera specific profile (from Leica) or a general camera profile? Who is in charge for the embedded profile?

Mike

((posted this yesterday in DNG forum too, but this forum seems to be more visited))

• 1. Re: Camera profiles in DNG from camera (Leica S2, M8)
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

mikschel wrote:

I´m reviewing captures from the Leica S2, which is saving Raw in the DNG format after capture.

Are production model S2's actually shipping or are you using files produced from a pre-production model? What are you using to process the S2 files with? As far as I can see, any support for the S2 raw files is preliminary (which means it's NOT officially supported with a full range of color profiles). See the Camera Raw home page for camera support info.

• 2. Re: Camera profiles in DNG from camera (Leica S2, M8)
            mikschel Level 1

Jeff Schewe wrote:

As far as I can see, any support for the S2 raw files is preliminary (which means it's NOT officially supported with a full range of color profiles).

Jeff,

I´ve got shots from two S2 cameras and they are pre-production (in terms of firmware, Leica will update this).

I process them with ACR 5.6 / LR 2.6.

As far as I understand "embedded" means color rendering as supposed by the camera maker (in this case Leica) and "Adobe Standard" does mean an official camera profile from Adobe. "Embedded" is pretty close to the color rendering of the S2´s JPEGs.

By the way, Capture One does open the DNG with a "DNG File Neutral" ICC profile. The color rendering is quite different. I know there is no DNG camera profile support in other applications than ACR/LR.

• 3. Re: Camera profiles in DNG from camera (Leica S2, M8)
              sandy_mc Level 3

The embedded profile is from the DNG file itself; its set by the firmware in the M8/M9/S2, and in that sense is "controlled" by Leica.

All of the "Camera Standard", "Adobe Standard", etc profiles are from Adobe, and are part of either LR or ACR. They don't yet exist for the S2 because, as Jeff points out, the S2 is not yet supported as a camera by LR/ACR.

The important distinction to be made however is that an S2 DNG is supported by ACR/LR, just as any valid DNG is supported regardless of whether ACR/LR "knows" about the camera that created it. However, the S2 isn't supported in the sense of ACR/LR having custom color profiles, specific tweaks to the demosaicing, etc, etc. That distinction might seem minor, but is important in context of how DNGs are supported by Adobe products.

Sandy

1 person found this helpful