2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2010 3:04 PM by matthewoflynn

Why do Templates go missing in Contribute CS3?

matthewoflynn

Hi guys,

I have a site which I use Contribute CS3 to update and I have a number of templates for it which I created using Dreamweaver 8.

I manually uploaded the template files to the /Template folder on the server and Contribute can find them, create new pages, etc.

My problem however occurs after I have created and published one or more pages based on templates. Sometimes (as I still don't know how to recreate the problem for sure) the template goes missing from the template list in the "Create a New Page" dialog. I can click Refresh Templates and this brings the missing template back (most of the time, other times it doesn't.) Is this a bug in Contribute or could I be doing something wrong?

I thought it may have something to do with file privileges but they are unchanged when the template goes missing. I'm stumped with this.

Thanks for any help in advance!

/Matt

• 1. Re: Why do Templates go missing in Contribute CS3?
          matthewoflynn Level 1

I found a LiveDocs page which gives troubleshooting info "templates not showing up in Contribute". It gives the following reasons why a template would not be shown:

1. Templates not downloaded correctly.

This doesn't seem possible because all the templates were initially in the list and then one goes missing (after it has been used to create a page)

2. The permission group the user belongs to might not have access to that template.

I have checked the user permissions under "New Pages" in the Administer Website options and the user can use all templates.

3. Check templates have .dwt extension

They do.

4. Check templates are in the /Templates directory

Checked and they are.

Does anyone have any ideas why a template would suddenly go missing in Contribute?

Thanks

• 2. Re: Why do Templates go missing in Contribute CS3?
            matthewoflynn Level 1

I found a typical but non-satisfactory solution: restart Contribute. The templates reappear after the restart.

I wish there was a better way...