11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2010 8:05 AM by Jim Strenk

Unable to Open Project (CS4 - Trial Version)

Jim Strenk Level 1

After futzing and cleaning up several projects, I am now unable to open them.  I may have changed the Video Preview from Microsoft AVI to I-Frame.  I get the following message when I attempt to open the affected projects:

The project contained a sequence that could not be opened.  No sequence preview preset file or codec could be associated with this sequence type.

Is there a way to fix this situation rather than having to start all over from scratch as I've already done for one project?

Any tips, suggestions or errata would be most welcomed!

• 1. Re: Unable to Open Project (CS4 - Trial Version)
          shooternz Level 6

Try importing it into a new project.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Unable to Open Project (CS4 - Trial Version)
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Either futzing and cleaning caused it, or the trial version. The trial does not support anything MPEG.

• 3. Re: Unable to Open Project (CS4 - Trial Version)
              the_wine_snob Level 9

For a list of the limitations on the trial version, please see this PrPro-Wiki Entry.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Unable to Open Project (CS4 - Trial Version)
                Jim Strenk Level 1

Thank you Harm, Bill and Shooternz for your quick replies.    I found the reason for having the project opening problem! 

Via a suggestion, I  had changed the rendering codec to I-Frame, which in my case, doesn't have a working configure button.  I'm guessing that this is another limitation to the Trial Versionof PP CS4.  While it's possible that my installation might be bad, I suspect the offending codec isn't part of the distribution.  I was able to fix problem projects by changing the rendering codec to Microsoft AVI.  Once the codec was changed, all affected projects now open without the error message in my original posting.

I shall make sure the next 7 days before expiration, I shall use the Microsoft AVIcodec for all new projects!

Again, I thank the three of you for your input that assisted me in figuring out what was causing the problem.

• 5. Re: Unable to Open Project (CS4 - Trial Version)
                  shooternz Level 6

Are you considering going ahead with purchasing the full program?

• 6. Re: Unable to Open Project (CS4 - Trial Version)
                    Jim Strenk Level 1

Once the trial ends on machine #1, a slooow machine, I plan on installing the trial on machine #2, a much faster machine.  After that trial ends, I will most likely purchase the application.

I've already purchased a book entitled "Classroom in a Book" by Adobe Press.  I also have a 30 day free pass at www.lynda.com.  I've spent a lot of time with both items.

The feature set looks pretty good.  The list of supported files seems rather extensive, the interface seems very usable and gives an all around good impression.

By the nature of your question, is there something I should be looking out for when making the purchase?  I can assure you that I won't be visiting ebay when purchasing.

Thanks again for the help you and others have provided.  It is appreciated!

Message was edited by: Jim Strenk

• 7. Re: Unable to Open Project (CS4 - Trial Version)
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

The one caveat, when one has had the trial installed on a machine is that they MUST run the appropriate Adobe Clean Script (CS4 for Windows, in your case), several times, rebooting between them. I'd also look into using a Registry cleaner, like CCleaner, and THEN installing the full-paid version. Other than that, you'll be fine.

BTW - The CiaB Pr CS4 is great and will quickly give you a real feel for the program, and for the features. It'll also "hold your hand" to see how PrPro works. Each NLE has certain methods. None is universal. If you have spent time on, say AVID, CiaB will show you how to do most of the work within PrPro.

Good luck, and enjoy,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Unable to Open Project (CS4 - Trial Version)
                        Jim Strenk Level 1

Bill,

Thanks for the heads-up on using Clean Script prior to installing a commercial copy of PPro CS4.

BTW, I had both Photoshop CS4 and Lightroom 2.6 on the slow machine before installation of the Trial Copy of PPro CS4.  Will both of those apps be affected by the unistallation or the use of Clean Script?

Besides the book, the hours I've already spent at www.lynda.com have been very helpful and informative.

Using PPro CS4 is my first attempt at using NLE software to edit digital video.  I think I've learned a lot in the last 20 days or so.  It looks like I'll have quite a full plate for a while: re-building/building a new computer to handle NLE software, purchasing PPro CS4, learning video techniques using the Canon 7D for video capture, learning how to use PPro CS4 and finally putting together projects containing 7D videos along with many years of VHS tapes, Hi-8 tapes, 8 and Super8 movies and scaning slides and B/W and color prints.  That's quite a tall order!!

Thanks again for the caveat and the link regarding Trial Version limitations.  It was appreciated! 

• 9. Re: Unable to Open Project (CS4 - Trial Version)
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

The other programs should not be affected. However, when one is doing Registry cleaning and the like, it always pays to have a system backup, just in case that something goes wrong. I use a few manual System Restore Points, and also Norton Ghost. There are other, highly recommended backup utilities out there too.

As an example of what could go wrong, going back to PrPro CS3, and the introduction of CS4, many had the older version on their computers. When they decided that CS4 was where they wanted to go, they did the full uninstall of CS3 - problems! That uninstall took necessary parts of CS4 with it. Adobe had not thought that scenario through clearly. The "fix" was to just do a Repair Installation of CS4, and then update it. Still, many got caught with their new CS4 not working, after removing CS3. Easy fix, but scary when it happened.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Unable to Open Project (CS4 - Trial Version)
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

For the learning of PrPro, I highly recommend the Adobe Classroom in a Book for PrPro CS4. It will step one through almost all aspects of NLE work with CS4, from the start of a Project to completion, with most necessary steps along the way.

Now, for the Canon 5D/7D, I would strongly recommend that you look back in the forum a bit, as there have been several recent discussions on working with that footage effectively. Both Jeff Bellune and PaulineDC contributed to many of those threads. Before you have hours of footage, those threads will give you some workflow ideas.

As for the VHS tapes, I highly recommend the Grass Valley/Canopus AVCD A-D bridges. Their AVCD-110 is a great unit, that interfaces between the VHS deck and the computer (FireWire here), and does a great job of digitizing the material. You will want to do this capture into DV-AVI Type II files w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV audio. The AVCD-300 offers more time base corrections, and can pay the difference with just a few tapes vs the time to do corrections in the NLE. Both are well worth the investment. I would stay very clear of any Dazzle, or Pinnacle capture device (card, or box). Few ever get them to work correctly. There are some A-D cards out there, but their prices are about the same as the Canopus "boxes," and many produce files with OOS (Out Of Sync) issues. Also, some will NOT capture as DV-AVI Type II, so there are other problems, as well.

Now, if you happen to have a video camera with pass-through capabilities, you can use that to digitize your VHS tapes. However, they are becoming rare, and are almost non-existence in Europe/UK, because of a higher VAT on them. Most models there remove that capability, even if the US version has it. Check first.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Unable to Open Project (CS4 - Trial Version)
                              Jim Strenk Level 1

Thanks a million Bill for your book and box recommendations!

I bought the book about 2 weeks ago.  It makes for a great read.

As for the A-D bridge from Grass Valley, I'll hold off for just a bit.  I've got a Sony TRV480 that has pass-through capabilities.  Now I have to remember how to connect the VCR to it.  I was able to capture several clips taken with this camera in PPro CS4.  While the TRV480 isn't DIRECTLY supported, choosing GENERIC for the camera worked well.

Again, thank you for your help.  It is appreciated!