4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2010 4:04 PM by onefiftymph

"Not enough memory to save this file"

onefiftymph

I can't find the answer to this warning message I get after I transform a bunch of imported bitmaps from 32 to 16 bit.

Is this about file size?  How large file size can a Director movie be? And how many frames are allowed?

My cell-type animation movies get BIG. This one is at 2 gigs. Is that the max I'm allowed?

I thought at first this was a system memory alert, but I have one of the most powerful new computers on the market with 100's of GB's of HD space available.

I'm combining a bunch of  my big movies and re-formatting them for a bigger monitor. What's the workaround? TIA!!

MacPro \ 2x2.26 GHz Quad-cored Intel Xeon Processor \ 6 GB Memory \ 500 GB hardrive

• 1. Re: "Not enough memory to save this file"
          Chunick Level 3

if your animation files are 2GBs, it doesn't necessarily mean that you are using just 2GB of memory... so it can be quite possible to run out of memory.

btw, you don't mention what version of Director you are using.

either way, with the overall size being 2GB I'm guessing you're pushing the limits of the program which probably hasn't ever been stress tested by "Macrobe" with those sizes.

• 2. Re: "Not enough memory to save this file"
            onefiftymph Level 1

thanks Joshua. I'm on Dir. 11.

What I want to know - what "memory" is it there is not enough of?

It's not system memory - 6 GBs oughta cover just about anything. As you may know, Mac OS distributes memory dynamically to whichever app needs it.

It's not HD disk space memory - 500 GBs available

Mac OS 10.5.8  -  2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processor - 6 GB memory - 600 G HD - 30" cinema display monitor - Dir. 11

• 3. Re: "Not enough memory to save this file"
              Chunick Level 3

onefiftymph wrote:

thanks Joshua. I'm on Dir. 11.

What I want to know - what "memory" is it there is not enough of?

It's not system memory - 6 GBs oughta cover just about anything. As you may know, Mac OS distributes memory dynamically to whichever app needs it.

It's not HD disk space memory - 500 GBs available

Mac OS 10.5.8  -  2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processor - 6 GB memory - 600 G HD - 30" cinema display monitor - Dir. 11

Lol! No I didn't know that Mac OS distributes memory dynamically to whichever app needs it since I haven't used a mac professionally since 2002, if memory serves.

Anyways, you could try making Photoshop images 2GB in size and see how it handles files of that size and then you'd have a point of comparison and thus could make a better determination if it's simply a failing with Director or with using large files, in general.

The point still remains is that 2GB files are ridiculously huge and trying to convert a 2GB selection of bitmaps from 32-bit to 16-bit could make a computer easily run out of memory.... if Director is trying to process those images it may not get a chance to release the memory after an image is preocessed and the amount of memory to process an image might be double or triple what is needed to say, load it into memory in the first place. Anyways, without seeing exactly what your process is and exactly at what point it fails, and having never attempted dealing with 2GB worth of bitmaps, about the only thing I can do is speculate.

• 4. Re: "Not enough memory to save this file"
                onefiftymph Level 1

Thanks for your input Joshua.  I've had some success figuring out that when a movie file size approaches 2 GB's, Director begins shutting down and unable to perform many functions, like transforming and saving, and begins to crash routinely and corrupting files, making them unopenable. Luckily, I've been using Director long enough to know to back up every project regularly and haven't lost much more than a few minutes work in this latest production cycle.

I found that any files added beyond 1.95 - 1.97 GB file size is asking for trouble - "unable to save" messages, and/or crash and file corruption. I can live with that, as long as I know the parameters. Apparently, I'm the first to find out about this file size limit, which surprises me as I'm not a pro by any means. Maybe Adobe (or Macromedia) has Director throw up this message as some kind of catch-all error when file size reaches the upper limit.

I understand about memory cache. Just to be clear, I only attempt to use Transform Bitmap on a few cast members at once - never more than 10-15 mgs worth of jpgs - not the entire movie. This amount transforms easily at smaller file sizes. So I'm having difficulty believing system memory is an issue with this powerhouse MacPro, which is set up for processing video and rendering 3D.  It would be a first.

So although I now know the workaround - 1.95 GB limit, my question remains unanswered...