8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2010 4:55 AM by Wade_Zimmerman

Can and can't do's Illustrator>Flash

mattie pearce

I've been asked to design a tutorial on design graphics for a Flash game using illustrator CS4. My main iproblem is that i can design what i need in Illustrator but it does import into Flash too well...the main issues i'm having are...

1) Exporting that image with the gaussian blur effect as a .swf from Illustrator and importing it into Flash changes it to a Bitmap - i need it as Vector (.swf) - is this possible?

2) Applying a clipping mask in Illustrator. An image (.swf) exported from Illustrator with a clipping mask doesn't import into Flash properly..it's just a series of shapes and paths, does anyone know how to import an object with a clipping mask into Flash.

Help appreciated

Matt

• 1. Re: Can and can't do's Illustrator>Flash
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

1) Exporting that image with the gaussian blur effect as a .swf from Illustrator and importing it into Flash changes it to a Bitmap - i need it as Vector (.swf) - is this possible?

No. You are already enforcing rasterization inside AI by even using the effect. The behavior therefore is more or less what you can expect. Apply the blur in Flash.

2) Applying a clipping mask in Illustrator. An image (.swf) exported from Illustrator with a clipping mask doesn't import into Flash properly..it's just a series of shapes and paths, does anyone know how to import an object with a clipping mask into Flash.

Correct behavior. Clipping masks are just secondary paths that hide parts, but not actually trim anything. If you need it, things will have to be cut up using Pathfinder in AI or using the combo modes in Flash or by converting them to flash symbols with crop areas.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Can and can't do's Illustrator>Flash
            mattie pearce Level 1

hi Mylenium,

Thanks for taking the time to reply...my first question i thought that might be the case but just wanted to double check. I have managed to import a graphic that has a clipping path, but like you said i've had to use a divide Pathfinder to get it to come into Flash properly.

thanks again

Matt

• 3. Re: Can and can't do's Illustrator>Flash
              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

You need your objects to be symbols and I would say the best way is to save your document as an ai fie and import that into Flash.

You will be able to easily edit the symbols which will maintain their effects. Or copy and paste.

Screen shot 2010-01-14 at 3.45.36 PM.png

pasted in flash notice it is a symbol withvthe effect

Screen shot 2010-01-14 at 3.46.49 PM.png

scaled in Flash including the drop shadow

Screen shot 2010-01-14 at 3.47.49 PM.png

The file dialog when importing an AI file.

Screen shot 2010-01-14 at 3.49.25 PM.png

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Can and can't do's Illustrator>Flash
                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Here is with another object and  3D  extrude effect over it.

Screen shot 2010-01-14 at 3.57.59 PM.png

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Can and can't do's Illustrator>Flash
                  mattie pearce Level 1

I managed to get the blur filter to import into Flash, and remain as a vector...I followed Wade's steps by saving the .AI file and then importing the .AI file into Flash, rather than exporting a .swf from Illustrator and then importing the .swf into Flash.

thanks

Matt

• 6. Re: Can and can't do's Illustrator>Flash
                    Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I am very pleased this work for you I personally think it would be helpful to have the option to use smart objects from Illustrator to Flash and from Flash to Illustrator.

• 7. Re: Can and can't do's Illustrator>Flash
                      Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's funny that the illustrator's exporter does not function the same as flash's importer. You would think the two teams would talk to each other. After all Adobe is promoting all of their programs as being seamless. Just an observation...

• 8. Re: Can and can't do's Illustrator>Flash
                        Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Silkrooster wrote:

It's funny that the illustrator's exporter does not function the same as flash's importer. You would think the two teams would talk to each other. After all Adobe is promoting all of their programs as being seamless. Just an observation...

No such luck.