8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2010 7:23 AM by tclark513

Super Newbie

Unclepullmyfinger

Im trying to do a slide show in After  Effects.What I want to know is if I place an effect (Shatter) it starts the shatter effect right at the beginning of the time line how do I make it start around 6 seconds into the clip.

Thanks a bunch for your time

• 1. Re: Super Newbie
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is more than one way to do it.

Shatter works by having forces push pieces around. By default one force is turned on and in the middle of your layer. You can keframe the force's position or power.

Or, a better solution (less processor intensive) go six seconds into your layer, split the layer (ctrl+shift+d) and apply Shatter to the new layer.

• 2. Re: Super Newbie
            bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

Creating slide shows in After Effects is rather like jumping out of a perfectly good airplane just because someone gave you a backpack that looks like it contains a parachute. It's a mistake; overkill. It's an inappropriate use of ultra-sophisticated technologies.

Forget super advanced effects like Shatter until you have moved beyond your Super Newbie stage. You are only prolonging your hopeless frustration.

bogiesan

• 3. Re: Super Newbie
              bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

The documentation that comes with After Effects explains how to use Shatter.

the community help system also explains Shatter in great detail.

Just open up the triangles in Shatter. Why would you want to try to figure out what all of those do just to change slides? Use Powerpoint.

bogiesan

• 4. Re: Super Newbie
                Unclepullmyfinger Level 1

I figured that a slide show would be an good way to start off with this program.I have been watching training videos on Lynda.com and they do not explain how to start this effect at a particluar place in the timeline.If anyone knows of a training video on this that would be great.

• 5. Re: Super Newbie
                  bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

so this slide show is not for a real project, you're just messing around. Big difference in how we approach answering your questions. Still, in the case of super advanced effects like Shatter, you start with the manual.

Total Training is the only package that features extensive information on Shatter. It is one of my favorite effects and I use it for many things besides besides the obvious blowing stuff up. If you want to learn SHatter, you will search eBay for older versions of Total Training AE packages. You want Atomic Effects (the origina package of fitlers for AE crated by Brian Maffitt that included Shatter) or TT's AE4, 4.45, 5, 5.5, or 6.0 packages.

bogiesan

• 6. Re: Super Newbie
                    Unclepullmyfinger Level 1

No its a real project.Im a professional photographer and I want to show my work and I want something different.Thanks a bunch for your time I do appreciate it.

• 7. Re: Super Newbie
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The suggestions about (a) splitting the layer and applying the effect to just one of the layers and (b) animating the properties of the effect are both good suggestions for having an effect act only at certain times.

Another way is to create an adjustment layer that only extends through the time when you want to effect to be active. More information is here: "Adjustment layers"

If you're just getting started, I strongly recommend working your way through the materials listed under the "Getting started" heading on this page.

• 8. Re: Super Newbie
                        tclark513 Level 3

Check out videocopilot.net

They have tons of tutorials that will get you going with After Effects.  It really opened my eyes.