1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 14, 2010 9:22 AM by RossRitchey

Remote debug a Flash file running inside an application

M.A. Hanin

Hello everyone.

I'm an application developer, and my standard usage of Flash is as follows:

I'm creating an executable application, which contains a ShockwaveFlash object instance, which in turn is displaying a Flash Movie Clip - also created by myself. The executable application and the contained Flash clip are communicating via the ActionScript ExternalInterface (using XML strings) and the FSCommand.

I'd like to be able to debug the ActionScript code of the Flash file while I'm running/debugging my executable application. For that, I need to be able to start a remote debugging session from the Flash object running inside my executable. Problem is, I did not find any way of doing this.

When I publish the Flash SWF file with "permit debugging" checked, I'm able to start a remote debugging session when I'm displaying the file in a player or a browser (the "debugging" option is shown at the right-click menu of the Flash object), but I'm not able to do the same with the object inside my executable (the "debugging" option doesn't exist on the menu).

Environment Details:

The executable application is using the ShockwaveFlash COM file to create the ShockwaveFlash object.

The executable application is created using VB.NET, Visual Studio 2008, .NET 3.5.

The Flash SWF file is created using Adobe Flash Professional CS4.

I'm developing under Windows XP (SP3).

Any bits of information will be much appreciated!

M.A. Hanin

• 1. Re: Remote debug a Flash file running inside an application
          RossRitchey Level 4

I'm not sure how to do specifically what you are looking for (if possible at all.....)

But, I recommend checking out deMonsterDebugger.  It is an AIR application with some classes for use.  You simply import the classes into your Flash project, instantiate a debugger object, and then compile.

If you open the AIR application when the SWF is running (locally, in a browser, and I imagine in another application) the AIR application serves as a debugging engine, similar to the in-Flash debugging.

There is a bit more to it than that, but I think that this is your best bet for what you are looking for.

http://demonsterdebugger.com/