9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2010 10:37 AM by sirkibble2

Rendering DV/DVCPRO - NTSC w/ alpha?

sirkibble2

I tried exporting my DV/DVCPRO movie with "Lossless with Alpha" and the background still remains. When I export it out as an Animation with that setting, it works fine but it pixelates my movie I lay it on top of in Final Cut and the movie itself renders out very pixelated.

Either way, I'm not getting what I want which is just my moving image with no background. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for the help!

• 1. Re: Rendering DV/DVCPRO - NTSC w/ alpha?
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

sirkibble: None of the DV codecs let you embed an alpha channel in the video stream. They simply don't have the extra 8 bits required to do so.

There isn't any reason why the Animation codec should look pixellated, given that it's in fact uncompressed and much higher quality than the DV codecs. The problem could be related to how the FCP timeline, if set to DV, re-encodes the video to DV (as expected). Note that the FCP canvas window is not meant an accurate representation of quality. Have you chekced the rendered file, or used an external video monitor? Other Quicktime codecs which support transparency are, for example, PNG and JPEG2000.

• 2. Re: Rendering DV/DVCPRO - NTSC w/ alpha?
            sirkibble2 Level 1

Thanks for the help. Still, some questions though.

The problem could be related to how the FCP timeline, if set to DV, re-encodes the video to DV (as expected).

My timeline is set up for DV as all the rest of my video is set up for DV. Because of this, I put in the Animation video file and I have to render it. Before I render it, it's actually at a high quality but once I render it, the quality degrades horribly.

Have you chekced the rendered file, or used an external video monitor?

I have checked the rendered file and it was high quality. Unfortunately though, I am working on my work computer and they do not have a video monitor for me to work on (and my videos only go on to the web anyway).

As far as PNG and JPEG2000, are you referring to a PNG Sequence or JPEG Sequence? If yes, I will give those a shot. Again, thanks for the help.

• 3. Re: Rendering DV/DVCPRO - NTSC w/ alpha?
              As far as PNG and JPEG2000, are you referring to a PNG Sequence or JPEG Sequence? If yes, I will give those a shot. Again, thanks for the help.

No,these are very high quality, lossless Quicktime codecs.

• 4. Re: Rendering DV/DVCPRO - NTSC w/ alpha?
                sirkibble2 Level 1

Well, I tried doing the PNG's and the JPEG2000 and I'm having the exact same problem as the Animation. It's pixelating my video after a render. I'm not sure what Final Cut is doing to the movies for none of them to work but it's doing it.

• 5. Re: Rendering DV/DVCPRO - NTSC w/ alpha?

Did you try rendering with fields? Check the Render Settings in the Render Queue, and set Field Render to Lower Field First. All DV flavors use that field dominance.

• 6. Re: Rendering DV/DVCPRO - NTSC w/ alpha?
                    itsasecret.com Level 1

Upgraded to Snow and now my AE projects which I need to revisit,  are munched,  my Animation .movs in the timeline and project windows have no icon and are blocky pictures (Comp and Preview monitor) with those layers? I talked to AJA (Kona3) at length and we are pretty sure its an Apple codec  problem... Anyone else have this type of issue?

• 7. Re: Rendering DV/DVCPRO - NTSC w/ alpha?
                      sirkibble2 Level 1

I tried doing that and it still has the same problem. Does it have to do with the video footage I'm laying it on top of or perhaps it's Final Cut or something I'm still missing?

• 8. Re: Rendering DV/DVCPRO - NTSC w/ alpha?

It's hard to say. But it could just be FCP using a low filtering mode to display the images in the canvas window. In other words, maybe it's only the preview in the FCP UI what looks bad. That's why I asked if you have a video monitor connected. Do you have the FCP timeline set to the Safe RT Full quality mode? (I am starting to forget all the FCP-specific lingo ).

• 9. Re: Rendering DV/DVCPRO - NTSC w/ alpha?
                          sirkibble2 Level 1

Unfortunately, I don't have a video monitor.

I do have the settings on Safe RT with Full Quality which is what is weird. I also tried exporting it out to see if it's just the preview but it still is heavily pixelated. I'm not sure what the problem is and it's disturbing me. lol