25 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2010 7:55 PM by able123

My entire assets bin is missing out of .prprog file

DanOfEarth

Hi guys,

First post on this forum.

I moved a bunch of folders around, then opened up my project (.prprooj*) file. Since I moved the folders, it obviously asked me, back to back where each and every file was. After answering it, my profect works. However the bin of assets is gone. I remember deleting some supporting files, sich as the Adobe preview pro folder and media cache folders, etc.

A. Which folder does it use to hold the "asset bin" info in so that I don't do that again (if that's what happened) and...

B. Is there a button I can push to "refresh" my bins with all of the assets in my project.

• 1. Re: My entire assets bin is missing out of .prprog file
          Harm Millaard Level 7

A.  The one you designated.

B. No.

While we are at it, can you help me and this is extremely urgent, because my wife is waiting.

I have parked my car in a garage, I know it is in NY, but otherwise I'm lost.

How can I find my car, because if I don't pick up my wife in 5 minutes, I will be in deep trouble.

Enough nonsense, but your question begs for so much more info. What is the source material, where did you capture it, etc.

• 2. Re: My entire assets bin is missing out of .prprog file
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Could it be that this Bin is inside of another Bin? First thing that I would do would be to open up ALL Bins and check.

I make it a policy to NOT move/delete any files/folders in a working Project.

As far as the "location" of your Bins, that data will be in the PRPROJ file, which is an XML database. You can open it in, say WordPad, and then Search/Find on the name of the missing Bin, to see what links exist.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: My entire assets bin is missing out of .prprog file
              DanOfEarth Level 1

Well,

I thought I'd clarify this via video. I assume that's typical.

• 4. Re: My entire assets bin is missing out of .prprog file
                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Read the tab in the Project panel.  It says "Bin".  You're seeing the

contents of a single bin, not the whole project.  Click on the folder

icon above the word "Find" to get back up to the Project level.

-Jeff

• 5. Re: My entire assets bin is missing out of .prprog file
                  Level 4

HI,

You're in luck !  Because you still have the assets and know where they are !  When you answered Premiere by telling it where the individual files were, Premiere re-linked to those files, and they went into the timeline.  So that's good.

Just so you understand, you determine where the assets are going to live (reside) for your project. There is no default folder or directory. And if, once you've imported your files to Premiere, you move them to another location, Premiere will lose the link to those files.  That's why it asked where they were.

In time, as you figure out your workflow and disk space requirements and so on, you'll come up with a way to put your assets and project file someplace where they won't have to be moved around .....at least while you're working on the project....

Meantime, since you know where these files (assets) are (and so does Premiere since they are in your timeline), you can just re-create your bin or bins...and import the files and put them in the bins.

You're not really moving the files when you import...you are just making the links...and in this case you'll be making a link to the bins...so they are easily available for you to work with in your project panel.  Premiere already knows where they are now...but there is no bin full of assets for you to work with...

So just recreate the bin(s) and import and move into the bins as you did before.

And don't move the files (folders) or Premiere will once again lose the link to those files...

Keep in mind, Premiere doesn't move your files...  you do....and you set up the folders to store your work so it's easy for you to find the files for particular projects as you work...

Rod

ps ....nice movie...

rats....this whole mssg is useless if you aleady have the bin there ....can't see the screen of your movie that well...

• 6. Re: My entire assets bin is missing out of .prprog file
                    DanOfEarth Level 1

LOL.

How is it that I can make Flash, After Effects, and VBA dance yet I can't find a simple folder button in Premiere. That's embarrassing.

Thank you Jeff. Mind you I've been doing pretty sophisticated videos for a year now and missed that. I think I'm going to have to actually break out the instructions and read something.

• 7. Re: My entire assets bin is missing out of .prprog file
                      DanOfEarth Level 1

And thanks Robodog.

That DOES help me remember to organize myself before I start the project. I always seem to do that.

What gets me disorganized though is usually I start my Flash projects first, which causes me to have a bunch of photoshop, Image Composer, and raw JPGs everywhere. Then my After Effects project and Soundbooth stuff, then....well you get the picture.

LOL. Just for a goof, here's the video. You might find it interesting.

• 8. Re: My entire assets bin is missing out of .prprog file
                        Inger123 Level 1

If you right click on one of your assets in the timeline, and select "Reveal in Project", this should open up the location to where the assest is. I use this a lot to find clips in the project panel.

hope this helps.

Inger

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: My entire assets bin is missing out of .prprog file
                          DanOfEarth Level 1

Yes it does help.

I do fault Premiere with too many ways to do things. If they streamlined it and didn't duplicate tasks in the "drop-down menus", half the drop-down and/or buttons would disappear, simplifying what's left. Microsoft started that silly trend. To me being able to overlay a clip five different ways clutters the screen, hiding the buttons like the one I was looking for. Well...what can you do.

• 10. Re: My entire assets bin is missing out of .prprog file
                            Level 4

Hi.

Wow ! That's a great video !  I like it !  Nice pace, nice everything...

Funny, in some ways it reminds me of those British things that have like cut-out Hands pointing at things, what do you call it...like those max headroom type things.. ??

They say that if you don't do it, and just say stuff about it, you're nothing but a critic....(as opposed to the more culture vulture type :  The critque ! )

Well, I'm a dumb critic cause I have one suggestion for you to consider.....

The last two screens... are this:

"What do you know now....."

And then

"Know Now".......

All through the piece I heard "What do you know..." while being educated about what is happening...so that I was learning something...learning A LOT....

So I felt kinda like SMARTER than I was when I first started watching the piece....I felt, "hmmm, now I know something ...."

So when I saw " What do you know now...."  I felt like it was a barb....like as if to say, "see, you stupid idiot , what do you know?"

Where if you said, "Now You Know ..... ! "   It would have reinforced my feeling that I had learned something important...that I was in fact smarter than I was when I started watching !    Instead I felt I had gone backward...asking myself, "what do I know ?"

Then the last screen, "Know Now...." would also fit in nicely with the lead to it, "Now you know ! "

Sorry, but I read Umberto Eco's "Semiotic" textbook and somehow it got into my blood ....this stuff about messages....

It's great anyway, the way it is !

Thanks for showing it !

Rod

• 11. Re: My entire assets bin is missing out of .prprog file
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

It takes a bit to learn the ins-n-outs in a new interface. Once you get that down, you'll likely not forget it. Take your time, and if you get in a bind, the forum is waiting to help.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: My entire assets bin is missing out of .prprog file
                                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

bin button.pngHit the button.

Edit: Ah, Jeff already answered.

• 13. Re: My entire assets bin is missing out of .prprog file
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                  Edit: Ah, Jeff already answered.

But your graphic tells the story well, and is nice looking. You have now "thrown down the gauntlet." I guess that my little Stroked circles and boxes must improve!

Hunt

• 14. Re: My entire assets bin is missing out of .prprog file
                                    DanOfEarth Level 1

Funny you caught that  "Know Now" stuff. I had to put that in there because that's the tag-line for their product. Interestingly, they asked me to remove it today and change only that part and the "Really???" part in the beginning, which also came off as a bit cocky.

I got part of the idea from a Youtube "Exponential Times" video. It's really cool. You outta check it out on Youtube.

Also funny, I'm in the middle of reading "Language in Thought and Action" by Hayakawa, which brushes on Symbols in language, although doesn't really go into Syntactics or Pracmatics.

And thank you on that Bill. Thouest Line is Drawn. Love to see your work.

(Ann...nice button).

• 15. Re: My entire assets bin is missing out of .prprog file

If it's not confidential, how much did the Cars charge you to let you use their song in the promo?

-Jeff

• 16. Re: My entire assets bin is missing out of .prprog file
                                        DanOfEarth Level 1

We're not sure yet.

This is a demo for for company to use. Since they're only going to use it on private sells presentations, I would gather around $1,000-$5,000. I have a sneaking suspicion that they'll baulk at the end of the day on the price, and make me stick a silly Techno-dribble track in there. That's usually what happens. As is, they're going to have to cough up bits and pieces for other photos and vids in there....$1,000 or so.

To give you an example an interesting price, I was going to license one minute of the original "Wizard of Oz" movie from Time-Warner for a "Wizard of Oz" documentary focussing on the political allagory of the movie for national TV, and I was quoted $5,000.

• 17. Re: My entire assets bin is missing out of .prprog file
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                                          I was going to license one minute of the original "Wizard of Oz" movie from Time-Warner for a "Wizard of Oz" documentary focussing on the political allagory of the movie for national TV

Interesting, the "themes" in that motion picture seem almost endless. My wife uses elements of the story in a hospital management seminar that she does, "Yellow Brick Road," albeit sans any © visual references. The closest that she comes is a vinyl yellow brick road, that she throws onto the floor. For years, I just thought that it was a "road story" about four characters and a little dog...

Hunt

• 18. Re: My entire assets bin is missing out of .prprog file

Thanks for the info. The $1000 end of the spectrum is more reasonable than I thought it would be.

-Jeff

• 19. Re: My entire assets bin is missing out of .prprog file
                                              DanOfEarth Level 1

This is going way off subject, but true. At the end of this post you will never be able to watch Wizard of Oz in the same light again.

Frank Baulm definitely wrote Wizard of Oz as a political alagory piece, which he was notorious for.The name OZ is explained at the end of my post.

At the time, there were discussions about whether we should be on the gold standard or the silver standard. The Yellow brick Road represents the gold standard, which lead to the Emerald city (the green back and Washington) and her slippers represented the silver standard. You see the slippers were originally silver, but during the production, they found that it didn't show up real well against the gold road, so they changed it. At the time, Williams Jenning Bryant was running for president. They felt that the silver standard, NOT the gold standard, was the key to pulling out the 1890s depression.

The Scarecrow represented the wise but naive mid-west farmers at the time. The Tin Man represented the dehumanized industrial workers in the East, and the Lion represented Williams Jennings Bryant and the Populist movement of 1896, who were blamed at the time for having no courage. They staged a "march to Washington" which didn't work out too well. And Dorthy represented the innocent populous of the time, and if they all got together, they could save the nation.

Remember the witches. The Wicked witch of the East represented the industialist owners and bankers who controlled the workers (the repressed munchkins). The Wicked Witch of the West represnted the moguls of California, who at the time backed the Gold Standard for VERY obvious reasons. The Good witch of the North represeted the Northern populous who at the time were all for their partisan side of thinking. Notice that the good witch of the South is blaringly missing. Rumours were that she represented the black populous of the south, however back at that time Frank left it out...not as a message for racism, but without having to say it in those rascist times that they too can help change the modus operandi.

Dorothy kills the Wicked Witch of the East by landing a house on her. At the time, they felt that people owning their houses and moving out of the company owned rentals would wrest control back away from the industrialists.

There are many other alagories in there. Their neighbor who turned out to be the Witch ALSO represented the banks tied to financing via Eastern banks. They were of course fourclosing on many farms at the time, due to major droughts.

That's why that by Dorthy pouring water on the Witch, it melted her and saved the day. The water represented rain, which they felt would save the day.

Also, the Wicked Witch of the West controlled the flying monkeys. Notice their lingo in the movie when they were freed from the witch sounded like Indians.

The actual Wizard represented the presidency at the time, which had the illusion of power but in reality the bankers....Morgan, etc., actually had the power, and this was indeed true.

The Deadly Poppy Field, where the Cowardly Lion fell asleep and could not move forward, was the anti-imperialism that threatened to make Bryan forget the main issue of silver. Notice the oriental connatations.

Even Toto, the name of the dog was no accident. He represented the teetotaling Prohibitionists, an important part of the silverite coalition, and anyone familiar with the silverites' slogan "16 to 1"--that is, the ratio of sixteen ounces of silver to one ounce of gold--would have instantly recognized "Oz" as the abbreviation for "ounce."

So there you have it. There's many, many more, but I thought I'd leave you with that.

• 20. Re: My entire assets bin is missing out of .prprog file
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for sharing that info. I had obviously been misinformed that "OZ" came from the card on a file drawer, basically O to Z, the latter part of the alphabet.

I'll share this with my wife, and see if it changes her delivery of "The Yellow Brick Road."

Now, we all know how things turned out for the Silver Standard in 1893. The frontier in Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico and Utah was ruined, as silver mines closed, due to the demonetization of silver. It was not until the early 1920's, that towns like Leadville began to recover.

Then, there were a couple of distant relatives, who tried to corner the world's silver market, in what, 1973? That one did not turn out too well either.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 21. Re: My entire assets bin is missing out of .prprog file
                                                  DanOfEarth Level 1

LOL.

You wouldn't be the Hunt brothers out of Texas do you? You wouldn't be related would you?

• 22. Re: My entire assets bin is missing out of .prprog file
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Um-m, not all that closely. Now, Swanee was the only one, with whom I got along, but that was just in social situations.

Hunt

• 23. Re: My entire assets bin is missing out of .prprog file
                                                      Level 4

Hi

WOW !  you guys are really raising the bar with all these fancy movies and graphics illustrations !  How cool !

Rod

nice button !

• 24. Re: My entire assets bin is missing out of .prprog file
                                                        Level 4

<<<<

one minute of the original "Wizard of Oz" movie from Time-Warner for a "Wizard of Oz" documentary focussing on the political allagory of the movie

>>>>>

That has GOT to be the "Don't pay any attention to the man behind the curtain !" part  .....LOL...

Those prices aren't too bad....  I was on a job where producer was paying $20,000 / day to use a BEACH house for location...  Not even a real HOUSE....

And I'm sure other locations have been way more than that...  but a beach house ?  Better not go into this too deeply, it's uncouth of me....

Anyway, nice job on that video, and thanks again for sharing it with us all...

Rod

• 25. Re: My entire assets bin is missing out of .prprog file
                                                          Level 4

HI again...

re: the wizard of oz ...wow, that's pretty amazing....all those connections, allegorical and symbolic, etc...

But I have to say this because at some point I actually ( in my adulthood , don't laugh ! ) read the frank baum OZ books....

And one thing struck me very stongly...was that the movie was waaayyyyy  different than the book (that one book...as there were many oz books).

Oddly enough, as this is uncommon with books and movies, where normally the 'book' is usually better than the movie...except on rare occassions...

( I can name a few like "The Musketeers" )

...as I was saying...That Oz movie was not only really different than the book it was like the best movie ever made from a book...not by following the book (storyline and character development and subplots etc) ...as the book was kinda lame .....but by being so incredibly different and BETTER than the book...

First thing was making it a musical.  Wow...what a stroke of genius !

2nd thing was doing the color transition into Oz...

Next, having characters at the farm that turned into characters in Oz....all this stuff in the movie is not like the book at all...unless my memory is really going out the window...

So a lot of what you say about the story and the real social and political situation really is between the movie and the times, not the book and the times...as the book and movie are two different animals altogether...

That sure is one heck of a comparison between all those things and the movie....   now I'm going to have nightmares again like when I was a kid about the flying monkey people !

Rod