7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2008 11:11 AM by Newsgroup_User

HELP PLEASE!

I am publishing my first site - I built it in Dreamweaver CS3, and I am trying to upload it via FTP to the clients server that is provided by watermelon-hosting.com. The problem is, we are replacing his current site, and I accidentaly uploaded the new site without removing the old one. As a result most of the site doesnt work and none of my new pages are coming up. I need to know:

Where to go from here

How to properly link my pages in Dreamweaver so that they display in the browser once uploaded

What folder to upload my site to in the FTP.

Thanks! :(
        • 1. Re: HELP PLEASE!
          Ben M Adobe Community Professional
          Once you upload the pages they will appear on the server. If you uploaded a new site without removing the old one the old files that may have had the same name will be overwritten.

If your pages are not coming up there may be other issues. Could you explain a little more as to what you changed. For example, does the homepage have a new name (and that is why it is not showing up)?

Also in regards to what folder to upload the site to on Unix/Linux systems it is usually a public_html or www folder. I'm not sure what it is on Windows, but it should be fairly similar. That would be a question to ask the web hosting provider.
          • 2. Re: HELP PLEASE!
            Level 1
            Thank you so much for the reply. I think I have created a bit of a mess. :( For one thing, I did not select a specific folder when I uploaded the entire site, so its all showing on the remote server in alpha order. As for the page names, they are different from the original sites page names. Should I change the new page names to match the old ones so that they overwrite them? What do I do if there are new pages that were not on the old site?
            • 3. Re: HELP PLEASE!
              Ben M Adobe Community Professional
              The only thing I would recommend doing in your case is make sure at least the homepage has the same name as the old one just to get things up and running right away. You don't need to change all the page names to match the old but you do need them where the old files were if they are going to show up.

If you know whether this is a Unix or Windows web hosting solution more details about paths and what not can be given to you but we need a little more information.
              • 4. Re: HELP PLEASE!
                Level 1
                Thank you so much - I was able to get the home page up and running by changing the name of the new home page to match the name of the old home page. Here is my new dilemma:

The other pages of the new site are pages with new titles that did not exist on the old site. How do I get those to link correctly from the home page and show up on the site?

I really appreciate your help!
                • 5. Re: HELP PLEASE!
                  Level 7

> The other pages of the new site are pages with new titles that did not exist
                  > on the old site. How do I get those to link correctly from the home page and
                  > show up on the site?

do these other pages have valid correct links from the new "homepage" file?

url address to an example instead of guessing at things, please.

--
                  Alan
                  Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 6. Re: HELP PLEASE!
                    Level 1
                    No - I do not think that I have the pages linked correctly. For instance from the Home Page, one of the options that I have on the Navigation menu is: "Aromatherapy" - this is the link that I gave it: www.inlightoftouch.com/aromatherapy

However, this is a new page that was not on the old site, and I am not sure If I have to do something on the server to get this page to show up, or if its merely a linking issue.

Does that make sense?
                    • 7. Re: HELP PLEASE!
                      Level 7

> www.inlightoftouch.com/

<a href="www.inlightoftouch.com/aromatherapy">AROMATHERAPY</a>

make it a valid link to a real file that exists, and upload the linked file.

study html and the interweb....

--
                      Alan
                      Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/