5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2010 10:15 AM by AlDugan

Is Interpret Footage messed up in PPro 4.2.1?

AlDugan Level 1

Well I guess my post title should be a statement rather than a question because it sure seems messed up to me. I work with old 8mm films transferring them to DVD so one of the most common things I do is transfer the film using a Workprinter XP from MovieStuff.tv and then import that footage into Premiere CS4. Once in Premiere I use "interpret footage" to set the frame rate to most commonly 18 fps. This has always worked without any problems until upgrading to PPro CS4 4.2.1. Whenever I view the footage via scrubbing, it does not match if I play from the same spot in the preview monitor. It always has in the past. Even if I render out my footage after interpreting at 18 fps and making no edits the final video is messed up (looks like the wrong speed and chops off a large portion of the video).

Is there something new I need to do in this latesdt PP update because it has always worked in the past? And I have confirmed it is a problem with this update because reinstalling Premiere without updating it makes my problem go away.

Anyone else run into this?

Thanks,

Al

• 1. Re: Is Interpret Footage messed up in PPro 4.2.1?
          Curt Wrigley Level 4

The Workprinter (I have one) captures your 8mm film frame by frame, so what you end up with is a movie file at whatever frame rate the original film was shot in.  So if you just play it back it appears in fast motion.

I recommend you purchase the sw that moviestuff recommends for the work printer.  It is designed specifically for that purpose and will provide you an avi at the correct frame rate.  Simply adjsuting the frames per second in Pr does not accomp-lish the same thing.

You are interested in top quality or you would not have purchased a work printer.  You would be filming off the wall.   Dont skimp on the final step.

• 2. Re: Is Interpret Footage messed up in PPro 4.2.1?
            AlDugan Level 1

I do have the software that MovieStuff recommends called Dodcap and I do use that to do the transfer but it still requires me to interpret the frame rate in Premiere. I have done this successfully for years with great quality until this 4.2.1 release. Is Dodcap the software you were referring to or is there a newer version which allows frame rate adjustments after transferring because I don't think my version is capable of that.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Is Interpret Footage messed up in PPro 4.2.1?
              Curt Wrigley Level 4

If you use dodcap, It should convert the frames to the correct format for you.  You should not have to further process it in Pr (except for editing of course).

What does Pr say the fr is?     Its been a while since I used dodcap so i dont recall all the settings; but Im pretty sure its capable of building the frame rate you need.  It its its soul purpose for existance.

• 4. Re: Is Interpret Footage messed up in PPro 4.2.1?
                Curt Wrigley Level 4

But to answer your original question.  Im not aware of a change in how Pr handles interpret footage in the 4.2.1 update.

• 5. Re: Is Interpret Footage messed up in PPro 4.2.1?
                  AlDugan Level 1

Interesting. I never knew you could interpret the frame rate directly within Cinecap (I guess it used to be called Dodcap). This will surely fix my problem. I've always used the preview option for different frame rates but never noticed how to process them at your desired rate and had always relied on Premiere's interpret footage feature. I'm still not sure what changed with PPro 4.2.1 but it no longer matters to me anyway.

Thank you for your help Curt.