10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2014 9:55 AM by jaybcastro

Increase the work area?

TorQue[MoD] Level 1
      Does anyone know how to increase the work area of a flash document? Not the stage but the empty space around the stage.
      It seems to be limited to about 4,000 pixels wide regardless of the zoom level. This is a big problem for me as I'm working with a movie clip with a width of 8000 pixels and if I want to add text to part of the clip that's at 6,000 pixels in, I can't see it because its outside the work area.
      I can't shift the clip to the left to access the part on the right because if I do, the text area doesn't move with it. Is there any way to link objects together? When I select multiple items on the stage and Right Click, there's an option called "Break Apart" but I don't see one to join them or link them.
        • 1. Re: Increase the work area?
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

add your 8000 px movieclip and then resize the work area.

and you can group objects by clicking modify/group.

• 2. Re: Increase the work area?
            TorQue[MoD] Level 1

That's what I'm saying... The clip is already in the scene and I can't re-size the work area. There are no arrows that come up to allow you to re-size it. How do you resize the work area?

• 3. Re: Increase the work area?

to the right of the "edit scene" and "edit symbols" icons change the 25% to 10%.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Increase the work area?
                TorQue[MoD] Level 1

That's just the zoom level. I forgot to mention that I already adjusted that. Look at the screen shot I posted. I'm currently at 25% zoom level

, but you can see that the work area doesn't actually change when you zoom out, it just increases or decrease

s the size of the stage.
                I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to actually make that work area (grey area) get larger than it is. If you turn on rulers, you'll see that the work area cuts off with a hard black line at a little past 4,000 pixels. What I want to know is if you can increase this. I'm working with a 40" screen and could use the extra space.
                BTW, thanks for pointing out grouping and ungrouping to me. I don't know why I couldn't find them before.
                • 5. Re: Increase the work area?

you can call that whatever you want but it allows you to adjust the work area IF your large object is visible.

if you adjust that "zoom" AND you have your 8000 pix object visible on stage and you manipulate the object, you should be able to increase that work space to show all your object.

i just drew a 8600 pix shape that's entirely visible in the workspace using "show all" and 10% "zoom" along with a bit of dragging left and right to get the work area to increase to about 1400 pix (and my "zoom" is 16%).

• 6. Re: Increase the work area?

I know this thread is old, but I came across it while trying to find a solution for the stage area being stuck to the top left, and the off-stage area being hidden. The solution was (for me) to hit View > Work Area. Probably won't help OP, but might help anyone else who comes looking for answers

• 7. Re: Increase the work area?

I am also having this problem. I am building a platformer game, and I have run out of work space area (off stage area, or whatever you want to call it). Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

• 8. Re: Increase the work area?
                        Alison Livingston Level 1

This may or may not help but you can animate on a smaller scale and then when you are done you could do this to resize your entire project:

- Click "onion skinning" and have the frame viability set to "all" (that little circle thing at the top of the timeline)

- Click on the button near onion skinning "Edit Multiple Frames"

- Unlock all layers

- Select all layers

- Use transform tool to resize or black arrow to move

You have to be using CC for this to work and it helps if you have a screaming processor. In essence, this resizes all animation relative to each other at the same time. You can also use it to move the entire animation around and re-center it.

Adobe: it might help for you to make stage resizing more dynamic in the next release. One should be able to blanket resize/move all the animation on the stage.

• 9. Re: Increase the work area?
                          DrakeSwartzy Level 1

If I had Flash CC I wouldn't have limitations on my off stage space. One of the new updates is Unlimited pasteboard size Compare Flash Pro versions, version history | Adobe Flash Professional CC. But I really don't want to pay money every month just to get the new FlashCC updates.

• 10. Re: Increase the work area?
                            jaybcastro Level 1

kgwa led me to discover View -> Pasteboard, which is the shortcut Ctrl+Shift+W on a PC.  Try that. I've been getting files with this turned off already.
                            Hopefully this helps.