14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2010 8:31 AM by outaluck

Constant Crashes, Not NVidia though

Gabetheimpaler

Well i have been experimenting with some editing and i can play around for the most part, but it always force quits on me and says its going to send a crash report to adobe, this is getting really annoying, especially since i upgraded my computer just for video editing.

I have a  AMD 2.9 ghz quadcore, 4 gb ram, 1 GB Ati radeon hd card, 500 gb hdd, and another 500 gb external hdd, win 7 64 bit.

I am not sure what is causing the problems, i feel like my comp is adequate enough to do some editing without force quiting. HELP!! please.

thanks, gabriel

• 1. Re: Constant Crashes, Not NVidia though
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There are several known issues with Windows 7 64-bit and Premiere Elements 8, Gabe. This seems to be related to Windows 7/64 not yet having compatible drivers for this 32-bit program.

You can increase the odds it will work by going to Windows Update and manually getting even the non-critical updates, getting the latest drivers for your video card (from the ATI or nVidia site) and audio system (RealTek) and ensuring you have the latest version of Quicktime.

It can also make a difference what type of camcorder your video is coming from.

But, unfortunately, even with all things in order, it's possible this program simply won't work on your Windows 7 64-bit system. Sorry.

• 2. Re: Constant Crashes, Not NVidia though
            chaosdsmFL Level 1

Beyond what Steve has already suggested, If you have Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate 64bit, I would suggest running PrE in "Windows XP mode".  Please note, the first time you use XP mode, it will take several minutes for the computer to gather the data, setup the XP mode for PrE, and eventually launch the program, up to half an hour depending on many factors.  But after the initial setup, it will launch just as fast as it does now under Win7 64bit.  Unfortunately, XP mode is not available on "home" versions of Windows 7.  http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/features/windows-xp-mode.aspx

• 3. Re: Constant Crashes, Not NVidia though
              Gabetheimpaler Level 1

alright guys, well i have the Win 7 home premium, ill try running it in xp compatibility mode and see how it runs.

• 4. Re: Constant Crashes, Not NVidia though

You shouldn't have to run it in compatibility mode. Windows 7 will switch into it automatically if it needs to.

The bigger issue is if you're using the 64-bit or 32-bit version of the operating system. The drivers for the 64-bit version seem to be causing a lot of people grief right now.

• 5. Re: Constant Crashes, Not NVidia though
                  Gabetheimpaler Level 1

is there anything i can do? like switch to 32 bit?

• 6. Re: Constant Crashes, Not NVidia though

As I've said, it will likely resolve your issues.

• 7. Re: Constant Crashes, Not NVidia though
                      Daylight_Slaving

I am having the same problems, on a 64-Bit version of Windows 7. All my drivers are updated, I always do, but that still doesn't stop PRE8 from crashing at an alarming rate. So you're saying that it's basically incompatible with 64-bit versions of Windows? Will an update be released any time soon to combat that?

• 8. Re: Constant Crashes, Not NVidia though
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Daylight,

It has not been a policy, historically, for Adobe to offer updates to PrE. However, when Vista hit, they did offer one for PrE 3 to work with that OS.

Unfortunately, none of us knows what is in the pipeline. If one does know, they are not at liberty to say.

Considering the issues, and especially with Win7 64-bit, there could well be one in the works, but we'll not know, until it is released. Personally, I think that it would be a good idea in this case, and were I in product management, I'd leak word of such quickly, urging users to "hold on for just a bit," prior to jumping ship." However, I am not in that position, and do not know many, who are. To date, none has asked my opinion...

We're all in the same boat, just floating and waiting.

Good luck to all,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Constant Crashes, Not NVidia though
                          VDOSurfer Level 3

Have you tried after the PrE8 update? Click on Help -> Updates. Follow all the on-screen instructions.

Do let us know if you still see the crashes

• 10. Re: Constant Crashes, Not NVidia though
                            outaluck

I am having a similar problem with a more than adequate computer and resources and Win 7 64bit.  In my case, everything is all right until I try to create a DVD from the movie.  The encoding process begins, but causes Win 7 to crash after the process is over 80% completed (which takes a couple of hours, by the way).  This has happened to me both times I tried to create a DVD.  I have updated Premier and I have updated video drivers.  I am thinking that it is probably not the video drivers anyway because there are no particular display demands that take place during the encoding process.  I am ready to use the Premiere Elements disk as a coaster, just to make it useful for something.

• 11. Re: Constant Crashes, Not NVidia though
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

It would probably be best to post separately, as it is unlikely that your video card is at fault.

When you do, take a look at this ARTICLE to see the types of info that will be very useful to helping others help you.

Good luck, and one of the first things that I would check would be gaps in your Video Tracks in the Timeline. As single Frame gap can bring a Project to its knees, sometimes with error messages, but sometimes not.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Constant Crashes, Not NVidia though
                                outaluck Level 1

Thanks for your reply and advice, Bill.  In perusing the forum discussions I see that another user has had problems with Auto Color causing issues with the encoding process.  I did apply Auto Color to all the scenes in my project timeline, so maybe this is at least part of the problem.  I think I will make a copy of the project in which I remove Auto Color and see what happens.  Would that make sense?

By the way, I interpreted the original post in this thread to mean that the user was having crash problems NOT related to the video card issue.  That's why I posted here.  But you are probably right that starting a new thread would be more likely to get results.

• 13. Re: Constant Crashes, Not NVidia though
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

That would make perfect sense.

I'd do a Save_As, and change the Project Name, so that you will know that this is your test. What Save_As does is allows you to create a new Project file (.PREL), name it, locate it (if necessary), but keep it in your program. Basically, your original Project is Closed and this new one Opened, but it happens instantly, so you do not see anything change, except for the name at the top of the screen.

Now, Edit Effects, and remove the Auto Color from this "test" Project and try again. Hopefully, it will yield better results.

Good luck, and please report.

Hunt

• 14. Re: Constant Crashes, Not NVidia though
                                    outaluck Level 1

Success at last!

I went back to PE8 with an intention to try Bill's suggestion.  I noticed, however, that the program was still engaged in background rendering, so I decided to let it complete the background rendering before trying the DVD creation process again.  It took a couple of hours before the rendering process finally completed (in addition to Auto Color, I had also applied Crop and Sharpen to the scenes in my timeline).  I then started the DVD creation process.  Once again, it took about two hours for encoding to take place, BUT this time it successfully made it all the way through encoding and burned the DVD!  Now this may have been a fluke, but I think that in the future whenever I have a project that involves the application of multiple filters or effects I will let rendering complete before starting the encoding process.