1 2 Previous Next 52 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2009 3:33 PM by tmcmahon99

Cannot launch Fireworks. An Internal Error Occured.

LoriKB
      Windows XP Pro SP3
      Intel Quad Core 3.0
      387/500 gigs free on the HD
      4 gigs of ram

Purchased and Downloaded CS4 Master Collection today.

Everything else runs fine except Fireworks.

Things I have tried:
      - Reinstalling just Fireworks
      - Reinstalling the entire suite
      - Using the CS4CleanupScript
      - Uninstalling Itunes/Quicktime
      - Reinstalling Itunes/Quicktime

Still getting this error.

The current install of windows is no more than 2 weeks old. All windows updates have been applied.

edit: Forgot to mention: MX Studio 2004 was the last version installed.

Any help would be appreciated,
      Lori
        • 1. Re: Cannot launch Fireworks. An Internal Error Occured.
          Level 1
          Hi Lori,

I can suggest trying to make a new admin user account and see if it runs fine. If it does, try to see what setting/program is different from the two accounts.

Maybe you can also try to disable hardware acceleration. You can also see the suggestions in the other thread about this issue:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=14&catid=193&threadid =1400700&enterthread=y
          • 2. Cannot launch Fireworks. An Internal Error Occured.
            LoriKB Level 1
            Thank you for the reply

Still not having any luck

Adding to the list of things I've tried:
            - Creating a new administrator user on my machine and using that
            - Using the Guest User
            - Booting in Safe Mode
            - Disabling Hardware Accelleration
            - Moving/Deleting Application Data\Adobe\Fireworks CS4\English\Fireworks CS4 Preferences.txt
            • 3. Re: Cannot launch Fireworks. An Internal Error Occured.
              Very Invisible
              Same problem here:
              http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=14&catid=193&threadid =1399479

I'm not having any luck either.

I tried changing names and disabling folders in the Program Files/Adobe/Fireworks CS4 folder but had no luck
              • 4. Re: Cannot launch Fireworks. An Internal Error Occured.
                LoriKB Level 1
                Well it was my last resort but it worked.

I uninstalled all custom fonts and one of them was the culprit. I would tell you which one if I could but I just uninstaled all non-system/office/adobe fonts

I normally would have tried this sooner but since it was a fresh install of windows I did not have my font management program at hand.

If you are looking for some font management software to make this easier on you MainType is a good one available at download.com (trial version is fine for this purpose)

Appreciate all the help and replies, hope this helps someone else.
                Lori
                • 5. Re: Cannot launch Fireworks. An Internal Error Occured.
                  Very Invisible Level 1
                  Gonna try this right away!

I hope it works!

I have a boatload of cookies for you if this works ;)

Thanks Lori
                  • 6. Re: Cannot launch Fireworks. An Internal Error Occured.
                    Very Invisible Level 1
                    Hey Lori... Using MainType what fonts do I unload or uninstall?

Like how do I know what fonts to unload?

Thanks!
                    • 7. Re: Cannot launch Fireworks. An Internal Error Occured.
                      LoriKB Level 1
                      hello,

I've just been adding and removing fonts so long I kinda knew which are windows fonts.

The adobe ones are easy because they all have adobe in front.

a good rule of thumb is leaving any open type, vector and raster fonts, although there are bad open type fonts out there.

going through the list is was pretty obvious to me which I installed myself but in general:

left anything with adobe prefix
                      left anything with wst prefix
                      left anything with font family system or symbol
                      left all raster and vector fonts
                      left all fonts I knew for a fact or had a pretty good feeling came with windows or office (arial, tahoma, verdana etc are obvious ones)

At the risk of messing with your system fonts just leave anything you are unsure about.
                      • 8. Re: Cannot launch Fireworks. An Internal Error Occured.
                        Very Invisible Level 1
                        I'm going to try now with your suggestions. I got a blue screen for unloading too many fonts I guess ;)
                        • 9. Re: Cannot launch Fireworks. An Internal Error Occured.
                          innovationtools
                          I'm having the same problem. A 1-month old PC with Vista Home Premium, 4 GB RAM and 1 TB hard drive. No other fonts installed. The only other Adobe software installed was Dreamweaver CS4. I can't understand how a brand-new piece of software can be so kluged already - it's very frustrating...
                          • 10. Re: Cannot launch Fireworks. An Internal Error Occured.
                            Poesiaminharima
                            I am testing fireworks cs4 trial and after some open and closed projects it of the following o error ..... formatted the PC finding that it was more continued error the same!

(Could not launch Fireworks.
                            An internal error occurred)
                            • 11. Re: Cannot launch Fireworks. An Internal Error Occured.
                              benjaminfractalic
                              quote:

Originally posted by: Lori19
                              Well it was my last resort but it worked.

I uninstalled all custom fonts and one of them was the culprit. I would tell you which one if I could but I just uninstaled all non-system/office/adobe fonts

I normally would have tried this sooner but since it was a fresh install of windows I did not have my font management program at hand.

If you are looking for some font management software to make this easier on you MainType is a good one available at download.com (trial version is fine for this purpose)

Appreciate all the help and replies, hope this helps someone else.
                              Lori

Fireworks worked after I uninstalled this font:
                              Font Name: Ti86pc
                              Font Style: Regular
                              Font Type: TrueType
                              File Size: 42kb
                              File Name: TI-86.TTF
                              • 12. Re: Cannot launch Fireworks. An Internal Error Occured.
                                ttodda
                                quote:

Originally posted by: ben-10

We were having the same problem with CS4 Fireworks on Windows Vista. Removing the TI86pc font resolved our problem. Thanks a bunch for the posts!
                                • 13. Re: Cannot launch Fireworks. An Internal Error Occured.
                                  SliferX
                                  quote:

Originally posted by: ben-10

I have 3717 fonts installed on my laptop, but that file is not one of them. Does anyone know of any other fonts that may be causing fireworks cs4 to get an internal error ??
                                  • 14. Re: Cannot launch Fireworks. An Internal Error Occured.
                                    ArunKaza Adobe Employee
                                    hi,

Try it out with some font management software to make this easier on you. MainType is a good one available at download.com (trial version is fine for this purpose)

--Arun
                                    • 15. Re: Cannot launch Fireworks. An Internal Error Occured.
                                      SliferX Level 1
                                      Thanks Arun, I've downloaded the MainType program, but my question now is, what am I looking for in a font that is likely to cause this error. Is it a certain font family or is it another font attribute that isn't right. ??

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Regards,
                                      SliferX
                                      • 16. Re: Cannot launch Fireworks. An Internal Error Occured.
                                        ArunKaza Adobe Employee
                                        If the postscript name of a particular font is not proper as in if it is corrupted, then that font may create such kind of problems. Sometimes, because of system issues, 2 fonts also end up having the same name which again is a problem.
                                        • 17. Re: Cannot launch Fireworks. An Internal Error Occured.
                                          Sarthak Singhal Adobe Employee
                                          Good to know that Fireworks CS4 is finally launching on your machines. Will it be possible for you people to post/send the fonts so that Fireworks engineering team can investigate further into it and prevent such kind of problems in future releases?

You could post the fonts at a file share site and paste the link here or you could do the same in a private message to me.

Thanks to all you guys for helping more people who might see this post in future if they encounter a similar issue.

Thanks again
                                          ..Sarthak
                                          • 18. Re: Cannot launch Fireworks. An Internal Error Occured.
                                            ttodda Level 1
                                            quote:

Originally posted by: ttodda

We were having the same problem with CS4 Fireworks on Windows Vista. Removing the TI86pc font resolved our problem. Thanks a bunch for the posts!

I saved a copy of the font before I uninstalled. Here's a link to a copy of the file: http://www.box.net/shared/dn5x0f0b77 (IT-86.TTF)

Hope this helps.
                                            • 19. Re: Cannot launch Fireworks. An Internal Error Occured.
                                              ArunKaza Adobe Employee
                                              Thanks for posting the font file.
                                              Can you try the following below and see if it solves your problem?

1. Close all your Adobe applications which are running.
                                              2. Move out (to a temp folder on your desktop) or delete the following file (if it's existing) from your system as mentioned below.

WindowsXP or Vista: (i) C:\Windows\system32\FNTCache.dat
                                              (ii) C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts\Reqrd\CMaps\AdobeFnt11.lst
                                              (iii) C:\Windows\Fonts\AdobeFnt11.lst
                                              Mac Platform: (i) /[User Name]/Library/Caches/Adobe/TypeSupport/AdobeFnt11.lst
                                              (ii) /[User Name]/Library/Caches/Adobe/Fonts/AdobeFnt11.lst

3. Re-start the machine.
                                              4. Now Install the font i.e. TI-86.ttf in your system's Font folder.
                                              5. Launch Fireworks CS4 and see if it works.

Thanks,
                                              Arun
                                              • 20. Re: Cannot launch Fireworks. An Internal Error Occured.
                                                SliferX Level 1
                                                quote:

Originally posted by: ArunKaza
                                                Thanks for posting the font file.
                                                Can you try the following below and see if it solves your problem?

1. Close all your Adobe applications which are running.
                                                2. Move out (to a temp folder on your desktop) or delete the following file (if it's existing) from your system as mentioned below.

WindowsXP or Vista: (i) C:\Windows\system32\FNTCache.dat
                                                (ii) C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts\Reqrd\CMaps\AdobeFnt11.lst
                                                (iii) C:\Windows\Fonts\AdobeFnt11.lst
                                                Mac Platform: (i) /[User Name]/Library/Caches/Adobe/TypeSupport/AdobeFnt11.lst
                                                (ii) /[User Name]/Library/Caches/Adobe/Fonts/AdobeFnt11.lst

3. Re-start the machine.
                                                4. Now Install the font i.e. TI-86.ttf in your system's Font folder.
                                                5. Launch Fireworks CS4 and see if it works.

Thanks,
                                                Arun

Only the first windows file exists on my laptop (unless the others are hidden or something) and I don't have the TI-86.ttf font, but I am yet to find a single font or set of fonts that are my problem and as mentioned in another thread, I have 3,717 fonts installed on my laptop and it would take me forever to find the culprits of this problem, plus the fact I don't have the sort of time to enable me to do that.

quote:

Originally posted by: ArunKaza
                                                If the postscript name of a particular font is not proper as in if it is corrupted, then that font may create such kind of problems. Sometimes, because of system issues, 2 fonts also end up having the same name which again is a problem.

And also, what do you mean by the name of a particular font is not proper

Thanks for any help,
                                                SliferX
                                                • 21. Cannot launch Fireworks. An Internal Error Occured.
                                                  Frostbitten
                                                  I had the same problem with the CS4 Web Standard suite. Everything installed and ran perfectly except for Fireworks. Re-imaged the laptop with a clean XP install with all the updates and installed the CS4 suite first. Everything (including Fireworks) ran fine.

Re-installed my other software and tested fireworks after each install & everything was fine. Even after installing i-Tunes (along with QuickTime) which, according to some other forums, was a culprit in the Fireworks failing to launch caper. Fireworks still managed to start up just fine.

Then, I imported a bunch of fonts from my old laptop and Fireworks was no longer a happy camper and refused to launch.

Found this forum thread and went looking for the TI-86 font expecting to solve my problem. Alas, I didn't have it.

I did have 900 others though, so removed them all and added them back at a rate of 36 at time, trying to launch Fireworks after each addition. Found one other culprit font - dragonwick (three variations - regular, bold, and FG) that Fireworks coughed on. All the rest went back in (except for some Open Type Fonts - see last paragraph) and Fireworks didn't seem to mind them at all. Just as a test, added on of the dragonwick fonts back in again and Fireworks crapped out again. Deleted it once more from the font folder and Fireworks was happy again. So was I!

One other thing. I downloaded the TI-86pc font provided by one of the above contributors and threw into my font folder as a test. Fireworks still starts up with it in my font list. I have no idea why.

My font folder still won't allow me to install a bunch of OpenType fonts (.otf) fonts (including a pile from Adobe), claiming that they are damaged, but they had been working prior to installing Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 and the CS4 suite, but that's another issue and I can live with it for now. At least Fireworks is running again!
                                                  • 22. Re: Cannot launch Fireworks. An Internal Error Occured.
                                                    MrAlison
                                                    For mac you can disable your downloaded fonts in font book, you don't have to delete them and FW will launch. Then enable your desired downloaded font in font book and restart FW to see is they're the culprits.
                                                    • 23. Re: Cannot launch Fireworks. An Internal Error Occured.
                                                      JohnEHoffman Level 1
                                                      I too had the problem that Fireworks CS4 would not launch, even though all other programs in CS4 Design Premium worked fine. Following the suggestions above, I downloaded and ran Font Agent Pro. After it removed all my fonts other than Windows-required fonts, Fireworks launched. I then began to reinstall fonts in groups until Fireworks again refused to launch. In my case, the culprits were 2 Adobe fonts, Helvetica and Helvetica Neue, that I had converted from Apple format to PC format. The converted fonts worked with other programs, such as Word, and did not prevent other CS4 programs from launching, but apparently have something that causes Fireworks to choke.

It appears that the problem may be user-specific with fonts that have had minor damage occur, rather than with specific fonts one can search for. Thus, removing all non-system fonts, ensuring that Fireworks will then launch, and then reinstalling fonts in groups until Fireworks stops launching, may be the most efficient way of finding the font or fonts that are causing the problem.

Since the fonts that cause Fireworks not to launch apparently work with other programs, perhaps Adobe can consider a patch to Fireworks so that it does not refuse to launch because of some minor problem with the fonts that does not prevent other programs from using them -- or simply lock out the fonts that will not work with Fireworks rather than causing the program not to launch at all.
                                                      • 24. Re: Cannot launch Fireworks. An Internal Error Occured.
                                                        Hi Frostbitten, JEHoffman,

Is it possible for you guys to share the fonts which you mentioned are causing a crash for Fireworks CS4 on launch?

Thanks in advance
                                                        Sarthak
                                                        • 25. Re: Cannot launch Fireworks. An Internal Error Occured.
                                                          JohnEHoffman Level 1
                                                          I am happy to provide the fonts that caused my copy of Fireworks not to launch. Just give me an email address to which to send them.

I'm not so frostbitten. I am in La Canada, California, the home of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, just west of Pasadena (which wishes it was the home of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory).

John
                                                          • 26. Re: Cannot launch Fireworks. An Internal Error Occured.
                                                            Very Invisible Level 1
                                                            quote:

Originally posted by: JohnEHoffman
                                                            I am happy to provide the fonts that caused my copy of Fireworks not to launch. Just give me an email address to which to send them.

I'm not so frostbitten. I am in La Canada, California, the home of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, just west of Pasadena (which wishes it was the home of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory).

John

Post them here so everyone can try and figure out a final answer to this popular problem.

I don't see why you shouldn't post those fonts here.
                                                            • 27. Re: Cannot launch Fireworks. An Internal Error Occured.
                                                              Hi John,

As mentioned by other forums members it will be great if you could post the fonts here so that other can give it a try also.

You could post the troubling fonts on a file share like www.rapidshare.com and post the download link here.

Incase those are propietery fonts, please send the link to me as a private message.

Thanks in advance
                                                              Sarthak
                                                              • 28. Re: Cannot launch Fireworks. An Internal Error Occured.
                                                                Frostbitten Level 1
                                                                Sarthak

Here is a rapidshare link where you can find the three DragonWick font files together in a zipped folder:

http://rapidshare.com/files/168229890/DragonWick_Fonts.zip.html
                                                                • 29. Re: Cannot launch Fireworks. An Internal Error Occured.
                                                                  records34 Level 1
                                                                  same problem on mac running osx 10.5.5
                                                                  All the suite works but fireworks. if i run on a new account it works, so i do not know what to check to have it working for any user.
                                                                  such a huge price and still have problems let me think a lot.
                                                                  • 30. Re: Cannot launch Fireworks. An Internal Error Occured.
                                                                    JohnEHoffman Level 1
                                                                    Hi Sarthak:

Thanks for reminding me that the fonts are proprietary. They are Adobe fonts. Under the circumstances, I do not feel comfortable giving them to anyone other than an Adobe support person.

Here are some further details in case they are of assistance:
                                                                    The fonts were originally the following Mac fonts:

Helvetica.dfont - 2.2MB
                                                                    HelveticaNeue.dfont - 1.2MB

I converted them to TrueType fonts using the CrossFont program.

The important point, though, is that Fireworks apparently scans all the installed font files during launch and halts if it finds any it considers defective, even though the other Adobe programs are not bothered by those fonts and even though those fonts work in other programs. I would think that such behavior is a defect in Fireworks that Adobe ought to fix.

In the meantime, Fireworks users who encounter the problem need to be aware that ANY font could be causing the problem, with the most likely offenders being fonts that (1) originated from other than one of the large font providers like Adobe, Monotype, Bitstream, etc., and/or (2) have been altered in some manner as by converting from one format to another. As of now, the best way to isolate the problem font(s) seems to be to remove all fonts, other than system fonts, from the font folder, make sure that Fireworks then loads, and then start reinstalling fonts in groups until Fireworks again refuses to launch. At that point, one can narrow down the problem even further by removing the last group of fonts and try reinstalling them individually to find which ones are defective.

John Hoffman
                                                                    • 31. Re: Cannot launch Fireworks. An Internal Error Occured.
                                                                      Fink_Studios
                                                                      I had the same problem. After six hours searching, testing de- and reinstalling I found the font causing: "KeyCaps Normal" (KeyCaps_Normal.ttf) available at http://fonts.goldenweb.it/index_file/l/en/d2/Freeware_fonts/c/k/start/50/default.html

I agree with JohnEHoffman and would also like to say:

Since the fonts that cause Fireworks not to launch apparently work with other programs, perhaps Adobe can consider a patch to Fireworks so that it does not refuse to launch because of some minor problem with the fonts that does not prevent other programs from using them -- or simply lock out the fonts that will not work with Fireworks rather than causing the program not to launch at all.
                                                                      • 32. Re: Cannot launch Fireworks. An Internal Error Occured.
                                                                        pixlor Level 4
                                                                        What doesn't make any sense, however, is this: Adobe says that the text engine from Photoshop was incorporated into Fireworks. If Photoshop can use these fonts, why can't Fireworks?

• 33. Cannot launch Fireworks. An Internal Error Occured.
                                                                          Turbo91
                                                                          Hello all,
                                                                          On the Mac, here is what I did to resolve the issue:
                                                                          1) Open the "Font Book" application in the Applications folder.
                                                                          2) In the "Edit" menu, select the option "Select All"
                                                                          3) Right-Click (or Control Click) and select "Validate Fonts"
                                                                          4) I then removed all fonts that showed a problem, or removed the duplicates.

Fireworks CS4 then started ok.

Hope this helps.
                                                                          • 34. Re: Cannot launch Fireworks. An Internal Error Occured.
                                                                            Fink_Studios Level 1
                                                                            An error message which describes the real problem (including the name(s) of the causative fonts) would be helpful.
                                                                            • 35. Re: Cannot launch Fireworks. An Internal Error Occured.
                                                                              Mstudio2
                                                                              Came here looking for some kind of help with this problem.
                                                                              When I removed the Dragonwick font file, Fireworks opened for me without error. Thank You!
                                                                              • 36. Re: Cannot launch Fireworks. An Internal Error Occured.
                                                                                glenna
                                                                                This worked on my Windows XP

"I renamed the "Fireworks CS4" folder to "Fireworks CS4 OLD" (just so I could
                                                                                access it again if need be). When I relaunched Firefox CS4, the "configuration"
                                                                                folder was recreated and my problem disappeared (along with any preferences and
                                                                                workspaces that I had created - but hey that is better than NOT being able to
                                                                                access the application fullstop)."
                                                                                • 37. Re: Cannot launch Fireworks. An Internal Error Occured.
                                                                                  KellyJ712
                                                                                  I have been trying for two days now to install Fireworks CS4. As soon as the install reaches the preparing to install page, it stops. It just stays on the page. No error message is displayed. It just stays on that page. I have tried rebooting as suggested and I have even tried removing a few fonts.
                                                                                  I have no idea what the problem is. I currently have Photoshop CS2 and Dreamweaver CS4 installed. I am using Windows XP Media Edition Service Pack 3.
                                                                                  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
                                                                                  Kelly
                                                                                  • 38. Re: Cannot launch Fireworks. An Internal Error Occured.
                                                                                    SRihan Level 1
                                                                                    Hi Kelly,

Please try the following steps :
                                                                                    1. Uninstall FW from Add Remove programs ( if any )
                                                                                    2. Restart the machine.
                                                                                    3. Remove installation logs from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Installers\Adobe Fireworks * logs.gz
                                                                                    4. Install the application.

If you still find the same problem, please attach latest installation log file from the location mentioned in step 3.

Thanks,
                                                                                    Saurabh
                                                                                    • 39. Re: Cannot launch Fireworks. An Internal Error Occured.
                                                                                      Well, after several weeks of no Fireworks CS4 (I got an error at launch ), I successfully launched the program.

I began removing non-essential fonts, free fonts, dingbat fonts, and unusual fonts. About 50 at a time.

After about 3 hours of doing this, I got down to 1525 fonts (yes, I had lots of fonts) ... and at that point, FW CS4 opened for me.

FYI, I didn't own any of the fonts mentioned earlier in this thread.

I'm assuming it was either the number of fonts I had (over 2000) or specific font(s) that was causing the problem.

I never did have to uninstall/reinstall the program.

Hope this helps someone else.
                                                                                      1 2 Previous Next