4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2010 9:50 PM by Kodebuster

Blurry Video after Burn

PeterHlu

I am using Premiere Elements 8.0.  After I burn my project onto either a disc or file folder the resulting quality of the video is blurry when there is movement on the video.  If I view the video in the project, the quality is fine.  Has anyone run into this issue?  Any help is appreciated.

• 1. Re: Blurry Video after Burn
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Please tell us what your source footage is. Compressed footage, such as MPEG-2 can look pretty good in PrE, but when it is re-Transcoded to MPEG-2 for DVD-Video, that second compression can really show issues with motion, either camera movement, or subject movement.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Blurry Video after Burn
            PeterHlu Level 1

Thanks for the quick response.  They are VOB files that have been copied directly from the camera's disc to my PC.  When I burn discs directly from my PC without processing them thru Premiere, the video is fine.

• 3. Re: Blurry Video after Burn
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              When I burn discs directly from my PC without processing them thru Premiere, the video is fine.

The reason for the differences is that with the latter, you are just copying the existing MPEG-2 files to disc. With the former (editing), there is a second MPEG-2 compression going on.

The only ways around that are:

1.) do not use previously Transcoded MPEG-2 footage, or to use an NLE that does "smart Rendering," and do not really edit much - just cut out sections.

This was what I suspected.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Blurry Video after Burn
                Kodebuster Level 3

For best results with VOB's I would first convert to DV-AVI, then import the DV-AVI file into PE for editing.

I use this approach for editing with my Mini-DVD Camera, and to rip DVD's from my DVD-Recorder for editing with PE.

For me personally, I've found the results to be acceptable without blur on output from PE.

Here's my post from another thread with details:

If you want to rip from a DVD and then import into PE for editing, what I found works best is to convert the VOB files into DV-AVI.

There can be issues with the sync of audio/video when a single DVD has multiple VOB's on it, but once you get past that hurdle, there are a number of free packages that will convert to DV-AVI.

This link shows how to fix the VOB sync issue (if needed):

http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2469

But first I would convert the VOB(s) via Prism and see how that goes.

This link gives you the latest DV-AVI convert software options (I've used Prism and would not hesitate to recommend):

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0