10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2010 4:07 PM by Matt Petersen

Upgrade CS3 to CS4

ljkuzman

I would like to upgrade my PPr CS3 to CS4 and because I’m located in Australia, Adobe suggests buying it and downloading the upgrades from Australian web site where updates cost $200 more than what it cost in USA. Even in New Zealand which is in the same region cost $100 less then Australia. Can someone tell me if it’s any differences between the regions or can I buy the upgrades and download it in USA or New Zealand and use it in Australia?

• 1. Re: Upgrade CS3 to CS4
          Matt Petersen Level 3

Interesting issue.

Cost of CS3 MC to CS4 MC on US Site: $US899 Download

Cost of CS3 MC to CS4 MC on AU Site: $AU1,655 Download (excluding 10% GST)

Approximate current exchange rate: $1USD = $1.08AUD ($899US = $974AUD)

Any comment Dennis?

MP

• 2. Re: Upgrade CS3 to CS4
            ljkuzman Level 1

Can someone tell me if I can buy the PPr upgrades CS3 to CS4 from other countries except Australndia?

Please someone must have this information.

• 3. Re: Upgrade CS3 to CS4
              the_wine_snob Level 9

This is just a guess, but if you can get around any VAT/tariff, there should not be any problem. There are two places to set the language during the installation. The first is for the installer module, and the next is when you actually install the program. From my installation experiences (always from media and NOT from download), all languages are included, and the user just makes the decision. In the case of OZ, I would anticipate that US EN should work just fine. Do not even recall if there is a UK EN choice? Besides, only the word "colour" would be different.

I would anticipate that Adobe C/S was considering the VAT/tariff issues, with the rec. to buy the download from OZ, but do not know the ins-and-outs of international downloads.

This might be a good one for Dennis to address, as he'll likely have some useful insight on the details, and any pit-falls.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Upgrade CS3 to CS4
                Harm Millaard Level 7

This pricing strategy has been discussed in the past, the price differences (disregarding sales tax or VAT or whatever it may be called) are enormous. The arguing is that support will differ from country to country. In the US for instance, support is charged separately, in Europe it is included in the price. Given the lack of support and the quicker and often better support offered on the fora, one may argue that it is more beneficial to buy from the US and forget about support from Adobe. Just take into consideration that the serial number will tell which country the software originates from, so even if you are located in Europe, Adobe can easily discern where the software license was bought. If it was the US, you have to contact Adobe US for support.

• 5. Re: Upgrade CS3 to CS4
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

Good points. I was unaware of the differences in Adobe Support.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Upgrade CS3 to CS4
                    Matt Petersen Level 3

I'm not sure to what degree Adobe control cross-border purchasing, but if you're game, it might just be worth having a shot and seeing how you get on.

The possible barriers might be: registration my require a valid US address, or the paying credit card might need a valid US address attached to it (which is how i-Tunes stops you buying cross-border). In any case, you'll likely find out about these before parting with your money.

Matthew

• 7. Re: Upgrade CS3 to CS4
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

"Free trade"

When I was looking for a Sony EX3, B&H came to mind. Their pricing was much more attractive than the Dutch prices, but:

They were not allowed to ship outside the US or Canada by Sony.

The same practice applied to Adobe (more or less). You have to use a shipping address in the US or Canada, from where it can be transshipped to Europe. Still this may be inconvenient but profitable (especially if you live in the UK) by using friends/relatives as a shipping address.

• 8. Re: Upgrade CS3 to CS4
                        ljkuzman Level 1

Thank you to everyone for your help. I had a chat with Adobe Support team and they told me only I can download form Australian web site

because: " it would lead to complications with the transactions, thus, such a option is not available."

• 9. Re: Upgrade CS3 to CS4
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for reporting that info. Most of us users have never had this issue, but you will likely have helped someone in the future.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - if it's any consolation, just remember that Penfolds Grange costs you less, than it does me in the USA.

• 10. Re: Upgrade CS3 to CS4
                            Matt Petersen Level 3

Kuz, that sounds like a bit of a cop-out from Adobe. I know in your case buying a point-product, the saving might be limited. But for someone buying a suite or collection, we're talking serious dosh.

I might walk through the US store process for a point-product, and see how far I get. I'm just plain curious now.

Matthew