9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 19, 2010 7:21 PM by CruiseExpertBob RSS

Acrobat Pro 9 - Form Return as pdf instead of xml?

CruiseExpertBob

I have designed

a fillable form as an overlay on an

existing pdf.

Everything is fine except when my client cl

icks on the Return By Email bu

tton it is returned to me as an xml

file but I want it returned as a pdf.

How can I fix this?

• 1. Re: Acrobat Pro 9 - Form Return as pdf instead of xml?
          Bill@VT MVP

Is the form to be distributed to many folks? If so, enabling the PDF submission may be a license violation (check sec 15 for the limits). However, you have the same result if you simply open the form and import the XML data into the form. The result is identical to getting the full PDF and has no license restrictions.

Since you are apparently using Designer for the form, further questions about the form should probably be asked in the LiveCycle forum.

• 2. Re: Acrobat Pro 9 - Form Return as pdf instead of xml?
            CruiseExpertBob Community Member

Hi Bill,

Thank you very much!

Licensing is not an issue. I design the form from scratch myself using

Pagemaker.

In Pagemaker I export as a pdf using Adobe Distiller. What I have been

wanting to do is have a fillable form that the client can send to be by

e-mail. I have designed the fillable overlay on my form using LiveCycle then

Acrobat Pro 7 but had problems and Adobe told me that they no longer support

7 and I will need to download 9. When I downloaded 9 it removed 7 from my

computer.

On the fillable overlay that I designed, I have everything working except

the returned form is as an xml but I prefer the returned form to be a pdf. I

know there is a way to do it but I can not find it.

Thanks again!

Bob

• 3. Re: Acrobat Pro 9 - Form Return as pdf instead of xml?
              MichaelKazlow ACP/MVPs

In Acrobat you need to enable extended reader rights. However, I do not know if this works for Designer forms. Check in the Designer forum.

• 4. Re: Acrobat Pro 9 - Form Return as pdf instead of xml?

Hi Michael,

I am aware of that and have already done that.

It still does not resolve the issue that I have.

Thanks anyway.

Bob

• 5. Re: Acrobat Pro 9 - Form Return as pdf instead of xml?
                  Bill@VT MVP

You will have to go to Designer (the reason you should inquire in the LiveCycle forum) and check the options in the submit button. I find Designer a bit of a pain to use because they default to many things that I would not use (bad practice like e-mail), yet it is not real clear about how to modify. I guess it is just that I am used to Acrobat forms and have not played with Designer enough. Anyway, in Designer, check the properties of the submit button. I may check AA7 in a bit to see what is there.

In my earlier post, I was suggesting to just live with XML. It is easily imported to the form PDF to give the same result as if the form had been sent with completed fields. May be a lot simpler in the long run.

Additional info: I went to Designer 7 and selected the submit block properties. On the object field I selected button, not e-mail or http submission. This adds a submit tab. Under that tab you have a choice of selection type. I assume that Designer 9 is similar. You have to set the URL to mailto: (do not put in space between the ":" and the address) if you want e-mail submission, but be careful with e-mail submission as it fails for many folks due to their e-mail client setup. You will then have to go back to Acrobat (I think) and activate Reader Rights, but this activation is where you have to be careful about the use in terms of the license restrictions.

• 6. Re: Acrobat Pro 9 - Form Return as pdf instead of xml?

Hi Bill,

I like your suggestions.

I will try that when I get back to my office on Monday.

I will let you know either way but it makes sense.

Either way, I thank you VERY MUCH for your help!

Bob

• 7. Re: Acrobat Pro 9 - Form Return as pdf instead of xml?

Hi Bill,

I finally had the chance to try it and it works perfectly.

Thank you!

Now I will pay for the license since the product DOES do what I wanted.

Nobody at Adobe could answer this and I really appreciate your time.

Thanks again!

Bob

• 8. Re: Acrobat Pro 9 - Form Return as pdf instead of xml?
                        Bill@VT MVP

Sounds like I finally read a question fully and gave a useful answer. I often scan and miss an important part of the problem. Glad you are happy with the result. I learned a bit along the way! Bill

• 9. Re: Acrobat Pro 9 - Form Return as pdf instead of xml?

Hi Bill,

Thanks again!

Another part that you might want to know. When I designed the form I put all

of the info into the e-mail tab when I changed it to the "Button" it put all

of the e-mail and subject information in the box and then I was able to use

the drop box to change from xml to pdf.

I even started to receive the emails from clients tonight.

Thanks again!

Bob