3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2011 3:54 PM by ~mez

vanishing point transparency?

janceallen

(I also posted this question in the Photoshop forum, by the way)

Hi!  In Photoshop, when I use Vanishing Point on a layer with transparency, the layer is flattened over white both in the VP window and when I Return 3d Layer to PS and export/import .vpe into AE.

Is there a way to preserve the layer's transparency when using Vanishing Point?

Imagine a 3/4 view of a building.  There's no sky behind it, no background, just the building over transparency.

I want to set up 3D planes using Vanishing Point and bring that into After Effects to do a camera move and show the building in perspective.  The issue I'm asking about is how to preserve the layer's transparency when i use Vanishing Point to set up the perspective grids.  When I use it, the layer gets flattened over white in the VP window.  The generated textures that get mapped to the planes are flattened over white.  (I can edit those generated textures, key the white, manually mask, etc. but that is far from ideal.  Imagine a more complex alpha with gradients and whatever else.)

Does anyone know if VP is supposed to maintain the layer's original transparency?  See attached example.

I have a bunch of other issues with VP (resolution of the generated textures, inaccurate alignment of the camera imported into AE) but this is my big question right now.

Thanks for any help!

- Jance

• 1. Re: vanishing point transparency?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Does anyone know if VP is supposed to maintain the layer's original transparency?

Nope. Since it creates a 3D layer, it has no concept of these things. It merely cares about the diffuse color and distorts them to fit on the virtual plane. The texture resolution is defined by the document resolution, but the process of baking the projection always results in some loss of sharpness. It's no different than when you would use the free transfrom and warp tools in PS to do the same. Alignment issues have been discussed. The gist of it is, that you PS doc must match what comp size you later use in AE, as VP doesn't create neutral 3D data, but ratehr merely aligns relative to the doc. Of course this kinda works against the first suggestions, so you have to find a suitable compromise. You will not be able to avoid funky values at all cost, though. sometimes they will be tiny, sometimes they will be excessively large...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: vanishing point transparency?
            janceallen Level 1

Thanks for the reply!  It should be easy for Adobe to fix this transparency issue, though.  I'll have to file a feature request.  If it just treated a layer's transparency as an alpha and treated the rgb as straight, then the png it saves out for each plane could just be rgba.  Seems simple to me!

• 3. Re: vanishing point transparency?
              ~mez

Annoying indeed!

You can, however, edit the individual png files that photoshop creates as part of the vpe expor - ie delete the white bits.

Because the extra bits are solid sections of white it isn't too hard to do and the vpe still reads it as desired provided you don't change the png file name when saving.

hope that helps!