15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2010 8:52 PM by A.T. Romano

Koyote Soft HD Converter V1.6 Problems?

A.T. Romano Level 7

The free Koyote Soft HD Converter is a popular choice for converting AVCHD to MPEG2 HD for use in Premiere Elements. My experiences with that software have been with the 1.4 version of it. One of the first persons who brought this software to my attention was successfully using the 1.3 version. My 1.4 version worked great and has been used alone or as part of the Ozpeter proxy editing method.

HOWEVER, I decided to upgrade to the 1.6 version last night and cannot get this version to do the conversion of those .mts and .m2ts files to MPEG2 HD. I have tried various settings. However, its AVI and WMV output seem to function. I installed this 1.6 version on two different computers and got the same error message when trying for the conversion of .mts and .m2ts to MPEG2 HD....the error message being a problem with the bitrate, rate, or width and height.

Another user is having the same problems using the Koyote Soft HD Converter version 1.5.

Has anyone downloaded and tried this new 1.6 version? If so, are you having any issues with it? I would caution you about downloading this 1.6 version. It will overwrite your earlier version. In my case, I have not located a download that still exists for the 1.4 version so I can go back to that one that worked great.

Also, I do take issue with the way that Koyote Soft is expressing its units for bitrate. It gives the "setting" in the Import file list as MBps and the output bitrate as KBps. The convention would call these abbreviations Megabytes per second and Kilobytes per second respectively. They cannot possibly be that. The only interpretation that makes sense is that its MBps (megabytes per second) is really Mbps (megabits per second), and its KBps (kilobytes per second) is really kbps (kilobits per second). By contrast, Premiere Elements Properties gives the bitrate in units of KBps which is really Kilobytes per second.

Any comments would be appreciated.

ATR

• 1. Re: Koyote Soft HD Converter V1.6 Problems?
          i_dream_of_jeannie Level 1

ATR,

Why have you posted  the issue in the Adobe forums when you are facing this issue in some other software ? Shouldn't this be posted in the Koyote forum ?

• 2. Re: Koyote Soft HD Converter V1.6 Problems?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Many people here use the Koyote converter for converting AVCHD to more editable HDV, Jeannie.

I'm interested in hearing what Tony has learned.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Koyote Soft HD Converter V1.6 Problems?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

I dream of jeannie

The Koyote Soft HD Converter is a vital part of the AVCHD workflow of many Premiere Elements Users.

The creation of this thread had two purposes. One was to determine how wide spread this problem was, and to alert the Premiere Elements community about possible consequences of upgrading Koyote Soft HD Converter to this current version, version 1.6. It is not easy or often possible to roll back to version 1.4 or earlier once you have upgraded to 1.6. The earlier versions could not be found on the Koyote Soft site. And, if you went elsewhere online, you could find links to these earlier versions, but, when they opened, they were version 1.6 and not as advertised as an earlier version.

Koyote Soft has been notified, and I will go into that in my response to Steve Grisetti in the next post in this thread.

Do you work with AVCHD? If so, do you use Koyote Soft HD Converter in the Premiere Elements AVCHD editing process either alone or as part of the Ozpeter proxy method? If you did, you would appreciate the importance of this FREE converter in working with AVCHD and Premiere Elements. If you use Koyote Soft HD Converter, what version are you using?

ATR

• 4. Re: Koyote Soft HD Converter V1.6 Problems?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

The existence of the issue surfaced at the other Premiere Elements Forum that I frequent. The first version of the Koyote Soft HD Converter that I looked at was 1.4. I had been working with it for several months. It worked great for MPEG2 1920 x 1080 and all the listed resolutions. Then a user at the other forum posted about errors in this regard. I tested his video sample and had no problems converting the AVCHD sample to MPEG2 HD when using the 1.4 version. It turned out that he was using version 1.6. So, I upgraded from 1.4 to 1.6. Then I could not get the converter to work (AVCHD to MPEG2 HD) for his sample as well as my own that had worked previously in 1.4. A major contributor to the Premiere Elements communities, cyber, also did some testing with 1.6 and reported NO problems with it. But, now another user has come forward with the some issue as the one encountered by the other user and myself. He as well as cyber have reported the issue along with our testing details to Koyote Soft who has not responded as of this date.

In light of the question asked by IDOJ, let me restate the motivation behind my posting of this thread:

1. To try to determine how widespread this issue was since so many here and elsewhere use this free HD converter

2. To alert the users of possible problems in AVCHD to MPEG2 HD conversion after upgrading the Koyote Soft software to version 1.6. Version. The 1.4 and earlier versions have not been implicated in this issue. If you do decide to upgrade to 1.6, just make sure that you have a way back to 1.4 just in case.

ATR

• 5. Re: Koyote Soft HD Converter V1.6 Problems?
                  nealeh Level 5

Here you go (v1.4): http://de.brothersoft.com/soft-154501.download.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Koyote Soft HD Converter V1.6 Problems?
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Thanks much for your very helpful research, Tony!

• 7. Re: Koyote Soft HD Converter V1.6 Problems?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Neale

Thanks for the link to Koyote Soft HD Converter version 1.4. Over at the other forum a user came up with one for version 1.2, but not 1.4. That was a great find and contribution. I will post it at the other site and give you thanks for that there as well.

My day was saved when I discovered that I still had a copy of the 1.4 exe file in the download folder. But it took me several days before I realized that it was still there. I am forever dust busting on my computer and thought that it got dust busted away.

Thanks again.

ATR

• 8. Re: Koyote Soft HD Converter V1.6 Problems?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

I will follow when I get more information on this matter.

Thanks for your help in sorting this out. That free Koyote Soft HD Converter with or without Ozpeter's proxy method has been a life saver for many trying to edit AVCHD with Premiere Elements. I would be unhappy to think that Koyote Soft had upgraded itself out of contention for achieving the AVCHD to MPEG2 HD goal.

ATR

• 9. Re: Koyote Soft HD Converter V1.6 Problems?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

nealeh

Do you have any other link for Koyote Soft HD Converter version 1.4 other than what you have posted?

When I went to that link a few months ago, I was able to download and install version 1.4. Worked great as expected, thanks for that. But, today I find that I cannot find the download on the link that you provided. I wanted to pass the link on to another user who is using version 1.6 and having video problems that may be related to the version of Koyote Soft HD Converter being used.

Thanks for any follow up information.

ATR

• 10. Re: Koyote Soft HD Converter V1.6 Problems?
                            nealeh Level 5

How strange. I clicked the link and it took me to an Asian language brothersoft homepage. Then I copied and pasted the link ( http://de.brothersoft.com/soft-154501.download ) into the browser address bar and it works fine - instantly pops up the download. Even stranger when I click the link again it too now goes directly to the download. I wonder if there is some 'cookie' involved that is not present until you visit the webpage first.

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale

• 11. Re: Koyote Soft HD Converter V1.6 Problems?
                              nealeh Level 5

Tony, in case you haven't seen, there is now a v1.7 on the Koyote website.

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale

• 12. Re: Koyote Soft HD Converter V1.6 Problems?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Neale

Thanks for the follow up. And, sorry that I did not get back earlier to this thread on the matter of the Koyote Soft HD Converter versions.

Several weeks ago I found out that the version 1.7 became the latest version of this software. I have tried it, and it is performing well for me as did the earlier version 1.4. This is a relief since this converter has been incorporated into so many AVCHD workflows, and the previous version 1.6 would not work for most.

Besides myself, other users at another web site that I frequent have reported good results with this version 1.7.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: Koyote Soft HD Converter V1.6 Problems?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

This is good news, and thank you for reporting on the success.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Koyote Soft HD Converter V1.6 Problems?
                                    Celia Y

Many people here use the HD converter for converting AVCHD to more editable HDV, I like it very much. Good luck.

http://www.hdvideoconverter-mac.com

Good Luck.

• 15. Re: Koyote Soft HD Converter V1.6 Problems?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Celia Y

Where is here?

From the link that you posted, I get the impression that the converter that you promote is for Mac only. Is that correct?

For the PC, I believe that the Koyote Soft HD Converter has proven the most reliable way to go and many have come to that conclusion and incorporated this free converter into their workflow.

http://www.koyotesoft.com/indexEn.html

ATR