7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2010 6:13 AM by the_wine_snob

PE7 Hanging on opening

philobrien

I'm running Windows 7 32 Bit and PE7 has been running fine. Then I purchased and installed PE8. Didn't like it at all - very jerky previews, a few functions that were in PE7 have been moved or disappeared completely etc., so decided to revert to PE7. I've uninstalled PE8 and now I find that when I try to load Elements 7, I get the purple opening screen, everything runs fine until the message "Loading ImporterPhotoshopProxy.prm" and everything stops. It won't load any further. My NVidia card is GE Force 7500LE. I realise that this is a fairly basic card, but the fact that PE7 worked fine in the past makes me wonder why it now won't load.

I've updated my drivers to 195.81 (Beta), but exactly the same thing happens. I don't seem able to roll back my driver to the one that worked ok. Anybody have any ideas on this?

Phil O'Brien

• 1. Re: PE7 Hanging on opening
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Phil,

Though it might not have anything to do with your program not launching completely, it's always a good idea to also have the latest version of Apple's QT installed.

Not familiar with any problems related to ImporterPhotoshopProxy.prm, and it could well be that it's the NEXT .dll, or similar, that is hanging things up.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: PE7 Hanging on opening
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's a Google search on that element. Looks like plenty of reading on Premiere (both PrE and PrPro).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: PE7 Hanging on opening
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, do you have any audio programs, that will have a bunch of VST's, especially MIDI instruments, etc.?

Those can easily cause hangs on loading.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: PE7 Hanging on opening
                philobrien Level 1

Thanks for all the advice. I uninstalled Elements again (and got an unusual error meesage

while doing so, regarding a program running "Photoshopserver.exe). It didn't tell me WHAT program was running it, and I

got two options - force a closedown of the program (requiring a reboot) or leaving it running. I've used both these options (with 2 different uninstallations of PRE 7) and it doesn't seem to make a difference whichever one I choose. I've uninstalled a couple of recently installed progrms that I thought may be affecting it (Ashampoo Slideshow Maker, Free Studio), done a full registry clean and still no luck. So installed my copy of Photoshop Elements 7 (which I never use) but that hasn't made any difference. I notice that a few posts on outside forums refer to this error happening if using a pirated copy of Elements. Definitely not the case here - bought and paid for online.

Now I'm wondering whether a recent installation / uninstallation of Elements 8 might have done something....

I'm getting desperate here - thanks for your help and advice so far, but I'd appreciate any advice anyone else has.

• 5. Re: PE7 Hanging on opening
                  Kodebuster Level 3

I'm not running Win7, but I know under Vista and XP, usually there are Restore points that the OS may set upon software intalls.

Assuming the same functionality is still present with Win7, you might try resetting the OS back to a point prior to your PE8 install, this should at least roll back any Registry settings. I think it will do the same for some Drivers.

If you can roll back via Restore, this might get you past the issues with a new install of PE7...

• 6. Re: PE7 Hanging on opening
                    VDOSurfer Level 3

philobrien wrote:

Then I purchased and installed PE8. Didn't like it at all - very jerky previews, a few functions that were in PE7 have been moved or disappeared completely etc., so decided to revert to PE7.

Jerky previews have a solution - Render (within the right project settings for the clips)

Could you let us know what functionalities you think are missing in PE8 as compared to PE7? They might only be placed somewhere else..

VDOSurfer

• 7. Re: PE7 Hanging on opening
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree. If there is a red line at the top of the Timeline, just below the Time Ruler, hitting Enter will Render the Clips for smoother viewing. If you do not need to Render the entire Timeline, you can set the WAB (Work Area Bar) to limit just what is Rendered. Do not forget to reset it to the entire Timeline, before you go to Share (Export), the Timeline.

The main "feature" that has moved is Export. With the exception of the Export a Frame, everything else is now under the Share tab.

Good luck,

Hunt

Red_line.jpg