6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2008 4:12 AM by

Optimising a large image for a website background

johngordon12 Level 1
      I'm just starting a new website, and had an idea to use a great looking image as a background - a bit like this :

link here

That's an 80% JPG, but looks a bit blurry - most noticeable around the edges of the sunflowers. That's already 92K though. Bumping it up to 90% improves it, but increased the file size to over 200K.

Any tips on how best to optimise an image like this would be appreciated.

Cheers.
        • 1. Re: Optimising a large image for a website background
          Level 7
          It looks pretty good to me. I think I'd be happy with it. 92kb is already on
          the big size, remember not everyone has a broadband connection yet.

You could have a play around with the 'Selective jpg' feature (Modify >
          Selective JPG > Save Selection as JPEG Mask) and save the areas with the
          transparent white areas at a lower percentage (try 60) but to be honest I'm
          not sure it would be worth it?

Peter
          | as a background - a bit like this :
          |
          | http://www.sunflowergardening.co.uk/
          |
          | That's an 80% JPG, but looks a bit blurry - most noticeable around the
          edges
          | of the sunflowers. That's already 92K though. Bumping it up to 90%
          improves it,
          | but increased the file size to over 200K.
          |
          | Any tips on how best to optimise an image like this would be appreciated.
          |
          | Cheers.
          |

• 2. Re: Optimising a large image for a website background
            johngordon12 Level 1
            I agree it's mostly OK, but if you look around the yellow petals, there's a bit of fuzziness I'd hoped could be improved.

Given that so many websites look so all singing and dancing, I'd have thought it should be possible to get it looking a bit better without ramping up the file size too much.

It's only an initial placeholder, so the text I'll redo as separate images so that should look better.
            • 3. Re: Optimising a large image for a website background
              Level 7
              Ok, in that case I would try using a jpeg mask around the sunflower and
              upping the percentage to 90 and to balance the increased file size you could
              do the same thing with the rest of the image, or the sky at least and
              dropping it to 60/70 %.

I agree that a lot of sites have some very nice images, but have you checked
              the size of those images? I have recently been at university studying as a
              mature student, and I can promise you most of not all of the students are
              simply unaware that filesize is a potential problem. Obviously if you know
              who your target audience are that is a major help, but as one who was stuck
              with a 56kb dialup service until only a couple of years ago, and still know
              of people who are in a similar position, it is still an issue.

Peter

"Iain71" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:g2dtkb$4on$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              |I agree it's mostly OK, but if you look around the yellow petals, there's a
              bit
              | of fuzziness I'd hoped could be improved.
              |
              | Given that so many websites look so all singing and dancing, I'd have
              thought
              | it should be possible to get it looking a bit better without ramping up
              the
              | file size too much.
              |
              | It's only an initial placeholder, so the text I'll redo as separate images
              so
              | that should look better.
              |

• 4. Re: Optimising a large image for a website background
                johngordon12 Level 1
                Cheers - that worked as a pretty good compromise - that wasn't something I'd used before, so was a good street.

You're right of course about file sizes - I was thinking more of big name companies that have fairly fancy looking sites - but would have thought big name companies more than anyone would rigorously stick to web standard guidelines for that sort of thing.

The next thing to do is add a title image, so needs to be transparent to see the background around the text. Now on to my next issue - I've started a new thread about it...

• 5. Re: Optimising a large image for a website background
                  thegendreamer Level 1
                  ok whats the url to the new thread? let me see if i can solve the problem
                  • 6. Re: Optimising a large image for a website background
                    I think I will be happy with it.i hope to tell soon the results