12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2013 9:04 AM by Kawika808

How to combine two projects into one (PE 8)?

Silverfox55

I have two projects I'm working on in Premiere Elements 8, each having multiple clips and modified properties.  How can I combine these into one project?

• 1. Re: How to combine two projects into one (PE 8)?
          Paul787 Level 3

This thread is for an earlier version of Premiere Elements but explains the process.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2000083#2000083

Basically, you export one project as a DV-AVI file and import it into your other project.

• 2. Re: How to combine two projects into one (PE 8)?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

And there's no need to post the same question twice, SilverFox. We've also responded to your first thread.

• 3. Re: How to combine two projects into one (PE 8)?
              coopege3

I still don't get it.  All the advice says to export your

projects as AVI files, but these are low quality.  I want to make HD 1080 video

, which I can do with individual projects, but I can't combine

these.  AVI doesn't give me a high quality option.

• 4. Re: How to combine two projects into one (PE 8)?
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As I say in my books, if you're working with hi-def, use Share/Computer/MPEG and use the preset for 1440x1080.

These files will load without rendering in a project set up for HDV.

• 5. Re: How to combine two projects into one (PE 8)?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

One can also download, install and use the lossless CODEC's, to get those intermediate files. Two very popular ones are the Lagarith and the UT Lossless CODEC's. Both will work with either SD, or HD material, but must be installed on the system, and then the system re-booted. Either/both will be available under the MS AVI format, and from the Compressor drop-down menu (Advanced).

Good luck, and welcome to the forum,

Hunt

• 6. Re: How to combine two projects into one (PE 8)?
                    coopege3 Level 1

I thought I had tried everything and was getting pretty frustrated.  I think I didn't try this because the preset properties said "blu-ray" and I wasn't interested in producing blu-ray.  But, on your advice, I tried this and it worked.  So, thank you!  However, nothing I have produced with Premiere Elements gives me the same level of quality produced by the camera.  I see a preset for 1920x1080 and will try that next, but I wonder why you suggested 1440x1080...I have been struggling with this on my own and didn't know there was book, so thanks for that advice also!

• 7. Re: How to combine two projects into one (PE 8)?
                      coopege3 Level 1

Now, I am officially confused.  My video camera is supposedly taking 1920x1080 video.  But the video I made by exporting to a 1440x1080 MPEG preset, as you suggested, is better than the one I made by using the 1920x1080 preset.  I'm sure there is a lot I don't know, but how can this be?

Thanks,

George

• 8. Re: How to combine two projects into one (PE 8)?
                        Kawika808 Level 1

It's an old thread, but there may still be someone following it...I'm using PRE12

I am also confused by the suggestion to export at other than 1920x1080 (if that was the original spec).

I also have a long video, divided among 3 projects, that will need to be combined for a final product.  The original clips were mostly shot in 1920x1080 60p.  (Some were 30p and some were MP4.)  I quickly changed to shooting only 60p because it gives me better slo-mo later.

Periodically I have exported "movies" to my computer to see how they look in a computer environment (viewing with MS or with GOM).  I've tried different export settings but the results at 1920x1080 30p have been outstanding.  Clear images (including freeze frames) and very smooth 20% slo-mo (created in the projects).

My one try at a different spec (1440x1080) led to distorted images since the aspect ratio was different.  What is the reason for changing the spec, since 1920x1080 gives such excellent results?

• 9. Re: How to combine two projects into one (PE 8)?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Kawika808

From what you wrote I presume that you are talking export and not import for your 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 vs 1920 x 1080 16:9?

If you have a video that is characterized as 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9, then you import that into Premiere Elements with the non Full AVCHD setting for 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 or the HDV setting for HDV. Depending on whether you are dealing with AVCHD or HDV.

But, when you go to export it, the 1920 x 1080 16:9 export settings are preferred.

Details..1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 depends on a 16:9 flag to stretch the 1440 x 1080 to 1920 x 1080 for display after encoding. Whereas, the 1920 x 1080 16:9 is 1920 x 1080 and requires no stretching as per a 16:9 flag to be recognized by the player. Since some players can have problems with the 16:9 flag, using the 1920 x 1080 eliminates the issues related to player recognition of that flag.

Just one link on AVCHD vs HDV.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/127651-what-differences-betwee n-hdv-avchd.html

That is my take on the situation. Is that what you were asking?

ATR

• 10. Re: How to combine two projects into one (PE 8)?
                            Kawika808 Level 1

ATR,

I truly appreciate all the time you have taken to anwer my many questions.

My post was a sort of supplement to an earlier post by the OP of this thread, which included:

" I see a preset for 1920x1080 and will try that next, but I wonder why you suggested 1440x1080..."

I wondered the same thing, since when I tried exporting from PRE using 1440x1080, I got serious distortion.

I shoot 1920x1080 60p (using either FZ150 or GH3).  Since this is very nice-looking video, and since processing with PRE and "sharing" at 1920x1080 30p also gives very nice-looking video, I was/am curious as to the reason for making an aspect ratio change at any point.  (I do my viewing on a 17in monitor, and from what I'm seeing the image quality I'm getting with 1920x1080 throughout the proceess would still be good on a much larger monitor.  I'm not saying it would be razor sharp on a 60in TV, but that's not what I'm aiming at, anyhow.)

~The original issue was how to combine several projects into one long video.

~The proposed solution was to "share" each project, then import the videos again into PRE, put them all on the timeline, and "share" the result.

~The question that the earlier poster and I both had was, why change from 1920x1080p, since that was the original format.  (Another question was, Why change from AVCHD if the original footage was AVCHD and PRE deals with it very well? If it ain't broke...)

To put it another way:

I shoot at 1920x1080p,

I edit the results in PRE and "share" at 1920x1080p,

Why not just keep everything in 1920x1080p?  (I understood this to be also the question posed by the OP.)  I will definitely change if the alternative is better.

• 11. Re: How to combine two projects into one (PE 8)?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Kawika808

If you shoot 1920 x 1080p, stay with the 1920 x 1080p workflow.

I believe the SG was generalizing about HDV footage in his post here and HDV footage is characterized by 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 and not 1920 x 1080 16:9.

His

if you're working with hi-def, use Share/Computer/MPEG and use the preset for 1440x1080.

These files will load without rendering in a project set up for HDV.

Not all projects are set up for HDV. So, my read is that there is fuzzy loop between his "...working with hi-def..." and the punch line "...set up for HDV".

If you came to me with your 1920 x 1080p footage and wanted to keep a 1920 x 1080p workflow, then

a. DSLR project preset to match

b. Export with 1920 x 1080p

And, I would point you in the direction of Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD for the MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p preset. I believe you would be very pleased with the results. Why mess with an export that comes with a 16:9 flag if you do not have to? Please read that in context with what I wrote in my prior post to you in this thread.

That is my take on all this...a thread that was left sort of dangling with those generalizations.

ATR

• 12. Re: How to combine two projects into one (PE 8)?
                                Kawika808 Level 1

Thanks, ATR,

You're right, the thread was pretty fuzzy--two or more people asking two or more questions with two or more starting points.

Thanks for clearing up the confusion.

I will have another hurdle to clear later, because I've learned that the final output (export or "share") for DVD has to be 4:3.  But I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, and experiment with "throwaway" clips in the meantime.

Luckily my subjects tend to be fairly well centered in the frame...

As an aside, I'm amazed at how shooting 2mp video levels the playing field between a DSLR, a M4/3 and a lowly FZ150 (1/2.3").  I am truly hard-pressed to see any qualitative difference in the footage.