5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2010 2:35 PM by the_wine_snob

problems with audio in PE8

bndwdthjunky

I have premiere elements 8 and I imported a large mpg into the program.  The video preview works excellent, everything is right.  When I pull it into the timeline however, you can hear all of the background music and such, but you cannot hear the voices.  Any thoughts?

• 1. Re: problems with audio in PE8
          the_wine_snob Level 9

HERE is a general checklist for Audio problems in an NLE (Non Linear Editor).

Now, let me make sure that I understand what you are experiencing. You have an MPEG file that has muxed Audio in it.

All of the Audio plays fine outside of PrE, and also in the Source Monitor, but when the Clip is on the Timeline, all of the Audio, except for the dialog, is there. Is this correct?

First question would be what is the channel scheme of that muxed Audio? Is is DD 5.1 SS? Where did it come from?

The reason that I ask about the DD 5.1 SS, is because much of the dialog is in the Center Channel, with only a bit in the L & R channels. If your Project is set up for DD 5.1 SS Audio, you should have that Center channel, but if you have a stereo Project, I could imagine that the Center channel signal, when mixed, is just too low in Volume, to hear well.

If you do have DD 5.1 SS Audio, and setting the Project Preset to one that includes DD 5.1 SS, does not help, you might want to rip the Audio and then Import the 6 discrete Audio files (the 6 channels), into PrE. I use Adobe Audition for this, but would assume that the free audio-editor, Audacity, can do the same.

Please let us know all about your source file, and your Project Preset. If needed, the free utility, G-Spot, will give you the full set of details.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: problems with audio in PE8
            bndwdthjunky Level 1

All of the Audio plays fine outside of PrE, and also in the Source Monitor, but when the Clip is on the Timeline, all of the Audio, except for the dialog, is there. Is this correct?

yes this is correct.  i was looking for an option in PE8 that showed the audio setup you recommended, but i don't know where to look to find that.  can you do a custom setup?  When i run gspot on it it lists under audio.

codec:  AC3

ino :0xbd[0x80]:48000Hz  384 kb/s tot , 6 chnls (3/2 .1)

again, any help is appreciated!

• 3. Re: problems with audio in PE8
              the_wine_snob Level 9

The Project Preset is chosen when one does New Project. Depending on the specifics of the files, the Preset will be for both the Video and for the Audio. Not all Video Presets offer DD 5.1 SS Audio, but many of the HD Presets do.

We now know that your source material is DD 5.1 SS in the AC3 wrapper. What are the Video specifications of the files?

As a test, do New Project, match your Video to a Preset, and then choose the DD 5.1 SS Audio to accompany, provided that it is one that has the DD 5.1 SS Audio.

Import one Clip and test.

It is very likely that you have everything you need, with the possible exception of the Audio Preset for DD 5.1 SS, and once you set that, you'll get better mix-down with the Center channel.

If this does not work, it could just be a balance (Gain) issue with the Center channel's signal. At that point, I would rip the Audio out as 6 discrete channels, do a Save_As PCM/WAV (Uncompressed) @ 48KHz 16-bit, and then Import the resultant files into PrE, where you can stack them up on the Audio Tracks. This will allow you to do a better job of mixing the Audio.

An alternative would be to do the rip and then do your mix-down to 2-channel stereo in the audio editing program, to suit, do a Save_As to the above specs. and Import the stereo file. Note: PrE will NOT allow one to Export/Share as DD 5.1 SS, so there WILL be a mix-down that WILL take place.

As a personal aside, the recording of good DD 5.1 SS requires a great investment in equipment and skilled techs to run it. The DD 5.1 SS produced from any camera is usually quite bad, as it's picking up a lot of unwanted signals, and the mixing is very poor, at best. DD 5.1 SS is part art, and part science. Were I presented with a camera that recorded it, I would turn that OFF and never turn it ON. You need 6 well-placed mics, a multi-track recorder and mixing console, plus years of experience and trained ears, to get it right. Most of what I do with DD 5.1 SS is really faux 5.1, as I do not have the full truck of audio gear. Even with my work in 2-channel (and some mono), it takes hours of mixing to get things right. No camera can do this. I also use PrPro with the Minnetonka SurCode DD 5.1 SS encoder plug-in, just to Export as DD 5.1 SS in AC3. It is not easy stuff to work with and get it right.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: problems with audio in PE8
                bndwdthjunky Level 1

so i got it in a file w/ 5.1 audio and now i can hear voices and such, it sounds good.  I'm wondering though, why can't i add any audio effects now.  the only effect available is volume.  i'd like to use more, but just can't make them work.  thanks for all the help today!

• 5. Re: problems with audio in PE8
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I'm not sure about PrE (especially as I only have PrE 4), but in PrPro, there are three sets of Audio Effects: Mono, Stereo and 5.1. I can only guess that with 5.1, the fixed Effect>Volume might be the only one available, but will have to wait to hear from someone else with PrE 8, which Imports DD 5.1 SS Audio.

Good luck, and glad that you have the dialog. That is great news!

Hunt