7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2010 10:58 AM by markharrigan

Export as Quicktime Movie Question

markharrigan

I am trying to export from Premiere Pro CS4 a Quicktime Movie; the Media Encoder is only giving me the option of 720 X 480, my original source footage is 1440 X 1080...any thoughts?

• 1. Re: Export as Quicktime Movie Question
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Use a codec other than DV.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Export as Quicktime Movie Question
            markharrigan Level 1

There isn't an HDV codec, though some of t

hem will allow you to resize the video

• 3. Re: Export as Quicktime Movie Question
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Precisely. What codec--and moreover, what format--you use depends on your destination requirements. Codec options like "Animation" or "None" allow you to set most parameters for an export, but the file is only useable in certain contexts, whereas DV is DV the world over (NTSC vs. PAL differences notwithstanding) but is limited to strict parameters. Fill in the blanks about where your file is going, and someone will be able to help you pick the proper codec.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Export as Quicktime Movie Question
                the_wine_snob Level 9

You will likely want one of the H.264 CODEC/formats. However, with out knowing how you need to deliver, it's but a guess on our part. That is what Colin is asking. Your intended delivery will set the stage, and then people can help with the fine-tuning of the Export.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Export as Quicktime Movie Question
                  markharrigan Level 1

Another question please:  As I will be outputting to a particulat format, it doesn't matter what project settings I begin with, correct?  (I am starting with HDV 1080i30, the tape house says i should output to DVCPRO HD, but all I get are a series of files on output.)  I will be outputting to an individual who will

be converting to Sony Digibeta tape for the following submission criteria to the A & E Network

, my original footage is Sony HDV:

Advertisers airing in VOD in High Definition must send over tapes in the following formats:

720p 59.94:

DVCPROHD (LP Mode)

D5

HDCAM

c. HD FORMATQTYFormat Frame Rate Description
                  Standard Definition1Digibeta 4x3 Full Screen 29.97 Texted
                  1Digibeta 4x3 Full Screen 29.97 Textless
                  DVD1DVD Quicktime MovieFull Screen29.97 Texted&Textless
                  Formatted.  (1 DVD per Short Form Segment must be
                  provided.)
                  Audio1OMF Disc or DA-88 (Same config as described in 6.6)29.97 8-Track Audio
                  (1 OMF Disc may be provided for multiple Short Form segments)
                  Original Shoot MaterialsTBDSee Section X11 or  your Individual Legal Agreementn/a Various
                  If you are providing more then one clip, you may agregrate multiple pieces onto the above video master reels but not on the DVD's which must be provided as separate pieces.
                  7. Pre-roll
                  Video (In order of preference)
                  a. .MOV file extensions onlyResolutionFrames per secLength of spotAudio
                  *please post .MOV file to ftp site720x480, 640x480**30 or 29.97Up to :30 sec196kps, sampled at 44.1kHz or 48kHz stereo - no compression
                  b. Digital Beta Tape - all submissions must be clearly marked with the name of the client, product and length of commercial spot = 15 seconds
                  c. Beta Tape - all submissions must be clearly  marked with the name of the client, product and length of commercial spot = 15 seconds
                  d. We perfer to know if file is formated as a 16x9 or 4x3.
                  ** 640x480 must be a standard DV25 or perferably a DV50 code.
                  Pre-encoded web-ready video
                  If you are providing web-ready pre-encoded video, you may supply it in any one of the below sizes/bitrates as applicable.
                  TypeFramesizeMaximum Total Bitrate
                  4:3 video464x352600k
                  4:3 video480x360500k
                  4:3 video400x300500k
                  16:9 video624x352600k
                  Videos should be provided as single-rendition FLV's using On2 VP6 or H.264 format.

• 6. Re: Export as Quicktime Movie Question
                    Colin Brougham Level 6
                    As I will be outputting to a particulat format, it doesn't matter what project settings I begin with, correct?

Technically-speaking, no, but practically-speaking, yes. And you don't want to use the DVCPROHD option from Premiere, if you're planning on going to DigiBeta--PPro's DVCPROHD option is for exporting to a Panasonic P2 card (hence, the "series of files" you're seeing), and it will add an unnecessary round of compression to your output. Though it will be a very large file, use the QT None export, and set your parameters to exactly match your source footage. I'm assuming that the person you're taking the file to is probably using FCP with some sort of Blackmagic Designs or AJA card, correct? If so, they'll be able to ingest the file and conform it for the DigiBeta dump (DigiBeta is SD, so you'll have to do some sort of scaling, but the hardware will do a much better job of that then Premiere Pro's software scaler will). If you know what kind of hardware is being used (e.g. who is the manufacturer), you might be able to export to the specific codec used by that card; both Blackmagic and AJA make available their codecs for encoding on platforms that don't contain their hardware.

• 7. Re: Export as Quicktime Movie Question
                      markharrigan Level 1

I have forwarded your comment to the guy at the tape house for his input as to correct CODEC for his hardware.  I am very grateful for your help.  This is my first submission to TV/Video on Demand...and it is very complicated and frustrating.  Thank you again, Colin, for your help.

Mark